Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going on an 800 calorie diet page

Rick Rube is offline Junior Member

I'm going on an 800 calorie diet

Primal Fuel
    I'm not doing it to lose weight. I'm a male and I weigh 140lbs. I'm doing it because I've read that calorie restriction can help up-regulate your dopamine receptors and increase their density. I have terrible ADD and social anxiety and I believe a lack of dopamine and dopamine receptors is the cause of that. Will I be doing significant harm to myself by going on such a low calorie diet even if I eat lots of nutrient dense primal foods like organ meats, sardines, kale, etc ?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Why don't you just do Intermittent Fasting? Same up-regulation without the chronic calorie restriction.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Yes, intermittent fasting is the way to go. Check out Fast-5, Warrior Diet, JUDDD, and other variations. There are several threads here, too. And there's always Eat Stop Eat.

I should have mentioned I already do intermittent fasting on most days.

Zach is offline Banned
    How are you eating now? How long have you had these problems? Do you take any medications or supplements?

I think if you want to do a calorie deficit, you should plan your deficit per week. Have fast days and feast days. Vary your macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    How are you eating now? How long have you had these problems? Do you take any medications or supplements?
    To a degree I've had them for much of my life but the past few years they've gotten much worse and they've made my life difficult. I attribute it to naturally having less dopamine receptors than other people and then doing a lot of damage to the few receptors that I do have by using excessive amounts of caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, junk food, and masturbation over a period of 7 years.

I've tried medication and supplements and nothing has worked. The problem with them all is that they can't raise my dopamine levels because I have no receptors for them to bind to.

As to my diet right now I've been on a month long cheat. But before that I was fasting for 18 hours a day and eating about 2500 calories a day consisting of only primal foods. I did that for about 7 months

What criteria have you used to decide you need to go from 2500 calories to 800 calories a day?

Zach is offline Banned
    I PM'd you about a supplement. I dont think eating 800 calories a day, permanently will do much more then drive you to binging. That is starvation level calories. You could try alternate day fasting or something similar if it indeed does help dopamine levels.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rube View Post
    I should have mentioned I already do intermittent fasting on most days.
    Alternate day intermittent fasting ie. JUDDD alternates between normal calorie days and low calorie/fasting days. On your fasting days you'd consume 600 or less calories a day.

I did it for six months, with my fasting days ranging in the 300-500 calorie range, and I had no problems at all. But, I had extra weight to lose and you really don't. Maybe do 800-1,000 calorie fasting days and then higher normal days?
    *~Sara~*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast