Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going on an 800 calorie diet page 2

Rick Rube is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What criteria have you used to decide you need to go from 2500 calories to 800 calories a day?

I was eating 2500 calories because I was trying to add muscle. I wouldn't eat that much in a 6 hour window under normal circumstances. The reason I chose 800 calories is because I want to put my body under stress and 800 calories is enough to mentally satisfy me if I'm only eating 1 meal a day.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    800 cals a day sounds like a bad idea. If you're already a stressed person, undereating is going to send your stress hormones through the roof. There are so many better options for dealing with it: don't take it out on on your body, you'll just develop an eating disorder. Seriously.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I PM'd you about a supplement. I dont think eating 800 calories a day, permanently will do much more then drive you to binging. That is starvation level calories. You could try alternate day fasting or something similar if it indeed does help dopamine levels.
    thank you for your PM. I'll look into that supplement. What do you think eating 800 calories will do to me ?

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    800 cals a day sounds like a bad idea. If you're already a stressed person, undereating is going to send your stress hormones through the roof. There are so many better options for dealing with it: don't take it out on on your body, you'll just develop an eating disorder. Seriously.
    I don't really care about my body anymore. I just want a healthy brain. That's the only reason I'm doing this. My life has become unbearable.

Paleobird Guest
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rube View Post
    I don't really care about my body anymore. I just want a healthy brain. That's the only reason I'm doing this. My life has become unbearable.
    A healthy body and a healthy mind are one and the same. You can't have one without the other. Nora Gedgaudas' book Primal Body Primal Mind" and her website by the same name are a good place to start.
    The 800 calorie "stress your body" system is a bad idea all around.

Zach is offline Banned
    thank you for your PM. I'll look into that supplement. What do you think eating 800 calories will do to me ?
    Well aside from the fact that 800 calories is barely enough to fuel your brain, let alone your entire body.. You will down regulate your thyroid, ruin your metabolism, become obsessed with food, depressed, fatigued, irritable, zero libido, etc. You need calories to survive, even if you are eating 800 calories of multivitamins, micronutriants are not enough. You will be in a constant catabolic state which is very stressful.

I dont know much about dopamine receptors so i would be hesitant to give you specific diet advice. Sounds like eating whatever you want is not working and a strict primal diet was not working as well. Do any foods make you feel better, any that make you feel worse?

Aww man... I hear you, honestly. But really, the body and mind are connected. If you abuse your body, your mind will suffer more. Take my word for it. I've put my body through every possible kind of abuse, and it's just made things worse.

Are you really set on this or are you prepared to look at alternatives? I have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, and I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Amen.

A healthy body and a healthy mind are one and the same. You can't have one without the other. Nora Gedgaudas' book Primal Body Primal Mind" and her website by the same name are a good place to start.
    The 800 calorie "stress your body" system is a bad idea all around.
    Shocked that me and PB actually agree on something
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    I think you'd be better off either fasting outright or doing intermittent fasting. Calorie restriction is just so unpleasant, you probably couldn't stick with it.

Paleobird Guest
    Shocked that me and PB actually agree on something
    Why is it so shocking that I would advocate against something as clearly detrimental to health as eating 800 calories a day? We are not talking about macros here. Just sheer quantity of nutrition (or in this case lack thereof). Macros are the fine tuning and open for debate (again. and. again.) but this is clearly not a good idea and has nothing to do with macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Why is it so shocking that I would advocate against something as clearly detrimental to health as eating 800 calories a day? We are not talking about macros here. Just sheer quantity of nutrition (or in this case lack thereof). Macros are the fine tuning and open for debate (again. and. again.) but this is clearly not a good idea and has nothing to do with macros.
    Dude, there was a wink! I was kidding wicha

- Ray Peat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast