Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Zeitgeist Momvement....anyone into it? page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Question The Zeitgeist Momvement....anyone into it?

Primal Fuel
    I am not sure of anyone is familiar with the zeitgeist movement or even a member!
    I am fascinated by the whole idea of change and found this in my mailbox this morning.

http://www.zeitgeistmediaproject.com...&id=6&Itemid=3

What do you all think?
    M

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    oh my mum sent me a copy of the DVD a while back. Interesting stuff - I've always been into comparative mythology and such so some of it made sense. Though I'm wary of pseudo science... stuff like 'The Secret' appropriating concepts from subatomic physics and trying to make universal laws out of them... gah...

I should give it another look.

I'm mostly into Buddhist thought at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    oh my mum sent me a copy of the DVD a while back. Interesting stuff - I've always been into comparative mythology and such so some of it made sense. Though I'm wary of pseudo science... stuff like 'The Secret' appropriating concepts from subatomic physics and trying to make universal laws out of them... gah...

I should give it another look.

I'm mostly into Buddhist thought at the moment.
    Hi Helen,
    Buddhism and the concept of the Zeitgeist movement are not mutually exlusive. I do have very strong Buddhist leanings and in my mind the two work well together.

Sending good vibes to OZ. A place I have very fond memories of.
    M

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i saw the zeitgeist addendum movie a while back, and have been receiving their emails for a while. i like their ideas, but i dont take everything completely seriously, sorta like helen...something about the whole making a universal law out of something which sounds wonderful but in reality is almost impossible to achieve without a full system malfunction and overhaul.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

bump

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Zeitgeist is one of those cases where the complaints are solid and truthful, but the ideas veer completely off the deep end when exploring causes and possible solutions.

It reminds me of a rant I overheard at a burrito joint several months back. "Blah blah socio-political oppression blah blah the economy is rigged blah blah government has been vested with way too much violent power" - right up until this point I'm cheering him on in my head, wishing more people were so intellectually honest about the nature of society - "and it's because the CHINESE NAZI LIZARD MUSLIM JEWS FROM THE CENTER OF THE EARTH ARE GOING TO CALL IN THE DEBT AND TAKE OVER AMERICA AND IMPLEMENT SHARIA LAW!" ...Wtf?

I just don't understand why people take the simple truths behind militarism, statism, and religion and spin them into these insane, bong-drenched conspiracy theories. Perhaps it's because so many of us have been trained from birth to be emotionally resistant to the truth, that even when trying to embrace it we just end up inventing more mythology as a coping strategy.

Why is it so hard to understand? We have to suffer under politics, religion, and big business because humans are still just predatory animals. It's a natural result of what happens when you combine retarded, bloodthirsty gorillas with pensions, nuclear weapons, and courthouses. Ever notice how radical libertarians, anarchists, and leftists tend to be rather...nerdy? That's because only people who've experienced what it's like to be the prey will have the clarity to raise their fists against social predation. The rest are more than happy to drink from the trough of barbaric violence, or at least bend over backwards for their masters.

I think Crass said it best:

"You talk of over throwing power with violence as your tool
    You speak of liberation and when the people rule
    Well ain't it people rule right now, what difference would there be?
    Just another set of bigots with their rifle-sights on me"

Zeitgeist, rather than trying to expose the violence inherent in the system, simply proposes an alternative system to again be imposed on people against their will ("for your own good"). It's the same damn morally bankrupt path that every single self-styled political dissident seems to end up falling into. Break the cycle already, please.

Anyway, I recommend checking out this review Stefan Molyneux did on Zeitgeist Addendum. It contains a ton of insight into what they have right, and what they have horribly wrong.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 05-14-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Zeitgeist is one of those cases where the complaints are solid and truthful, but the ideas veer completely off the deep end when exploring causes and possible solutions.

It reminds me of a rant I overheard at a burrito joint several months back. "Blah blah socio-political oppression blah blah the economy is rigged blah blah government has been vested with way too much violent power" - right up until this point I'm cheering him on in my head, wishing more people were so intellectually honest about the nature of society - "and it's because the CHINESE NAZI LIZARD MUSLIM JEWS FROM THE CENTER OF THE EARTH ARE GOING TO CALL IN THE DEBT AND TAKE OVER AMERICA AND IMPLEMENT SHARIA LAW!" ...Wtf?

I just don't understand why people take the simple truths behind militarism, statism, and religion and spin them into these insane, bong-drenched conspiracy theories. Perhaps it's because so many of us have been trained from birth to be emotionally resistant to the truth, that even when trying to embrace it we just end up inventing more mythology as a coping strategy.

Why is it so hard to understand? We have to suffer under politics, religion, and big business because humans are still just predatory animals. It's a natural result of what happens when you combine retarded, bloodthirsty gorillas with pensions, nuclear weapons, and courthouses. Ever notice how radical libertarians, anarchists, and leftists tend to be rather...nerdy? That's because only people who've experienced what it's like to be the prey will have the clarity to raise their fists against social predation. The rest are more than happy to drink from the trough of barbaric violence, or at least bend over backwards for their masters.

I think Crass said it best:

"You talk of over throwing power with violence as your tool
    You speak of liberation and when the people rule
    Well ain't it people rule right now, what difference would there be?
    Just another set of bigots with their rifle-sights on me"

Zeitgeist, rather than trying to expose the violence inherent in the system, simply proposes an alternative system to again be imposed on people against their will ("for your own good"). It's the same damn morally bankrupt path that every single self-styled political dissident seems to end up falling into. Break the cycle already, please.

Anyway, I recommend checking out this review Stefan Molyneux did on Zeitgeist Addendum. It contains a ton of insight into what they have right, and what they have horribly wrong.
    THANK you for such a detailed and interesting reply!
    M

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Very nice, Chaohinon.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Wow. (In a good way!)

And "insane, bong-drenched conspiracy theories' made me laugh out loud.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Brad is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "bong-drenched conspiracy theories" Thats an awsome line...I'm totally stealing that. Very interesting thoughts as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast