Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Supplements Do You Take for Depression/Anxiety/Mood Problems & Why? page

firetiger is offline Senior Member

What Supplements Do You Take for Depression/Anxiety/Mood Problems & Why?

Shop Now
    So I am desperately trying to get my lifelong moderately severe depression & a bit of anxiety under control. I was really hoping being primal would help & it has helped with some of the mood swings. I have been primal for about 2 months & in addition to losing fat & bloat feel pretty good about that. I've also taken up yoga, which helps me to meditate but after I'm off my mat I still feel bad.

I have a terrible inner critic telling me I'll never be good enough, racing negative thoughts, bad mood, not hopeful. I also have an inability to feel appropriate emotions, rather good or bad, an apathy. Sometimes it's impossible to get myself out of bed; I stare/think about all the tasks that need to be done but can't bring myself to do them. I have trouble concentrating. I have a wicked temper & can be irritable. I put on a tough front but I am overly sensitive to some things like loss/rejection & blame myself endlessly when they happen even if they are completely out of my control/not my fault. I tend to cry when I get mad/sad. Lately when I go out with my friends I just want to crawl back into my bed & quit pretending that I am enjoying this. I isolate myself a lot, push away my loved ones, block out the world & feel incredibly lonely.

God, I sound awful but I am actually quite high-functioning; I just landed a great research assistant job, have an excellent GPA in my epidemiology masters program, friends that love/adore me, etc. After a terrible situation with a guy sent me spiraling downward a psychiatrist prescribed a low dose of Wellbutrin which I currently am on. I really dislike the idea of antidepressants for me personally; it's a mental hang-up about me feeling weak. I also take fish oil caplets & a multivitamin. Also I have just began cognitive behavioral therapy.

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who have experimented with supplements of any kind. Thank you!
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Where did this inner voice come from? When did you first start hearing it? Was there a first time? Did someone in your childhood treat you this way?

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Where did this inner voice come from? When did you first start hearing it? Was there a first time? Did someone in your childhood treat you this way?
    It's always been there since I can remember, even in play as a small child.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    For me, prevention means good diet, physical activity, fish oil, and vitamin D which is all stuff vital for good health anyway. When I'm in distress (anxiety, low mood, etc.) long walks and cheerful music are applied. For extreme anxiety, ONE drink can be helpful, but I'm sure many would disagree and your mileage may vary.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey fire tiger, Ugh, I hear you and feel your pain. Eating clean definitely helps me, but I think the problem is deeper than that.

Have you ever had a full hormone profile done?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Piracetam, choline, nicotine, caffeine, and aspirin
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey fire tiger, Ugh, I hear you and feel your pain. Eating clean definitely helps me, but I think the problem is deeper than that.

Have you ever had a full hormone profile done?
    Yeah, I knew it would be no magic fix but I really actually want to beat this. I am trying to explore all the different options. The yoga has been great and I think the therapy will be helpful but I'm not sure those alone will be enough. I would like a blood work-up including hormones & vitamin D. I can see if my doctor would do it but I kind of doubt it since my insurance might not want to cover it.

NotJustPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Hi Tiger, this is my first. I didn't realize the forum was this cool.

I've had many of the experiences that you listed above and will experience them as life continues.

I've had many "cures" for anxiety, depression and things to just feel on top of the world. The first herb that I recommend is Rhodiola Rosea. It's incredible for energy, stress reduction and endurance. It's one of the best herbs for well-being.

Secondly, gotu kola is amazing for depression. It's another herb that makes you feel so happy you just can't help but smile. There is a blend of herbs that I take called "Joy" by Organic India. It has a combination of a few other herbs.

Another great thing for anxiety is passionflower. I actually did a podcast interview with Clinical Nutritionist Beverly Meyer and she uses passionflower to treat her clients when they are stressed or anxious. I think it's one of the best treatments for nervousness, general anxiety etc.

Another one that's a little bit heavier duty is Phenibut. It's in a category of supplements called nootropics. It's actually a prescription anxiety reliever in Europe but over the counter in the United States. This is the only thing listed that has a potential for addiction (mostly because it works so good). The dosage is around 300mg for most people. You need to do research on this if your anxiety is THAT strong that you need or think you need this. I would only recommend taking it once a week max.

If you do research on Phenibut you'll find yourself on random websites discussing social anxiety and how it helps with that.

The herbs listed do not have to be cycled or weaned on or off of. Most of them, especially Rhodiola and Gotu Kola will be noticed the first time you take it.
    Writer at NotJustPaleo.com and Host of the Not Just Paleo Podcast
    Employee at Onnit Labs.
    Click here to sign up with Onnit to sell Coconut Oil, BP Coffee, etc and
    help support your own website, blog and personal venture. PM if you need help.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    Yeah, I knew it would be no magic fix but I really actually want to beat this. I am trying to explore all the different options. The yoga has been great and I think the therapy will be helpful but I'm not sure those alone will be enough. I would like a blood work-up including hormones & vitamin D. I can see if my doctor would do it but I kind of doubt it since my insurance might not want to cover it.
    I suffered from depression from a very, very young age too, and I probably have a similar background in that I tried everything: yoga, mediation, therapy, diet. Everything except SSRIs! But I've come to the conclusion that when depression goes that far back, there's something more going on than talking or exercise can alleviate. I don't think depression is a sign of a healthy individual (sorry if that sounds harsh). After a lifetime of symptoms, I finally got a full hormone panel done (age 31), and found out that my hormones are totally out of whack. It can cause all kinds of issues, and if you're a sensitive person it will effect you mentally as well as physically.

I would 100% recommend getting a hormone panel done. It might be a bit pricey, but seriously: you could go to a billion doctors and not find the answers you're looking for. THe blood doesn't lie. At least you'll know then if there is some physical malfunction that's causing you to feel this way (it could have began at a young age - mine did). Yoga, open communication, positive thinking, healthy eating, exercise are essential, but at the same time, supplemental imo.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I don't have depression but I do have anxiety and ADHD which are symptoms of my Asperger's Syndrome.

I used to take Zoloft and Ritalin for them but have since dropped all meds. This happened when I was 18 and I'm 27 now, so med free for 9 years.

My recent switch to primal eating and going VLC immediately cleared up my brain fog and made me more receptive in social situations. I noticed this almost right away. I am also less jumpy and prone to being anxious all the time. I mean I stillhave more improvements I could make, primal wasn't a magical "cure" for my Asperger's. You can't ever really cure that. But I can say that it has made things worlds better for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast