Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Supplements Do You Take for Depression/Anxiety/Mood Problems & Why? page 5

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I used to take all kinds of ritalin, welbutrin, and worse. Went Primal, and it began to help, but I was still down a lot. Increased my meat intake as part of my dietary experimentation and WOW, I felt amazing! Then I discovered liver. I ate a pound of it per week for six weeks before my body said to slow down. I was vitamin deficient in every possible way! Liver has consistently dampened my cravings, self-abuse, guilt, and many other ways of misery. I frickin' DARE you to feel sad or depressed for the three or four days after eating a pound of liver, cooked medium-rare, once your body is packed with existing liver nutrients. Make sure it's still bloody and soft inside. Only get grass-fed liver from a trusted local source, if possible. You can buy an ENTIRE liver for about $25.00, so no excuses.

If you like being sad and mopey, and letting the voice in your head have its way, then DON'T eat liver.

And vitamin D, that makes a huge difference, too.
    interesting. I have upped my general meat intake a lot. I feel so full/satisfied after my meals. I have tried liver in Perú before & was not a fan of the texture or the metallic taste but I am willing to give it a go again.Not sure where i can find some good grassfed liver around here. Is there a supplement for liver? haha...
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I was on heavy doses of anti depressants and anti anxiety meds (300mg seroquel, Wellbutrin and a few others.) they actually made me more depressed. And in the 4 months I was on seroquel I gained 15 pounds

What I've found works for me is Iodine, Vitamin D, Magnesium, going for daily long walks and lifting weights. I have never felt better.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    X2 on magnesium and heavy lifting!

I googled "New Orleans Grass-fed ranch" and got several leads. You just call them and ask when the next kill is, can they save you a liver, how much per pound, etc. Good chance to ask for heart, suet, etc. at the same time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    Yes, I'm definitely going to get them checked. I have some symptoms I won't mention here that fit with other hormonal issues. Since my depression has been lifelong, could hormones really have played a role before my cycle had even begun? I feel like I might have a hormone problem but also a brain chemistry issue. Lucky me.
    I believe hormones affect your brain chemistry - I know I'm a completely different person when I have my estrogen and progesterone... ;-) - but that was only part of the picture - i feel a 1000 times better with my adrenals working well - also has had a huge affect on mood/thinking

kathyd is offline Junior Member
    Depression has been a life long struggle for me. I've done all the supplements, amino acid's, notropics (which I strongly advise against phenibut), every anti-depressant from tricyclic's, MAOI's, wellbutrin and all the ssri's.

I believe there are some of us that NEED the medication and I am one of them. I take Prozac. I have accepted that this is something that I have to take for the rest of my life. The side affects and weight gain eventually go away - you just have to stick it out...

Prozac, low carb and exercise are a good combination for me that works. I'm 56 yrs old and didn't figure all this out till I was much older.

It definitely is trial and error. Of course you're doing the right thing by trying alternative solutions and research.

I wish you the best in your quest.

liminal_luke is offline Member
    Two suggestions you might research and consider...

(1) Neurotherapy: basically biofeedback for your brainwaves. People with anxiety and depression have different brainwaves from people who don't suffer from these problems, and bringing your brainwaves back into the normal range helps many. Nora Gedgaudas, who wrote Primal Body Primal Mind, is a neurofeedback practitioneer and I believe she wrote about it in her book.

(2) Chinese medicine (both acupuncture and herbs): A qualified acupuncturist should be able to diagnose your condition according to the framework of chinese medicine and recommend a course of treatment combining acupuncture, chinese herbs, and lifestyle changes individualized to your particular situation.

Hope this helps

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I am reading this with much interest! My 19 yr old daughter became depressed last year while away at college.

She is home now and I am looking for information that I can use to help her. I know there is much that can be done with supplements and I have read this whole thread and take notes. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    B-vitamin injections can work wonders for people that suffers from depression and/or anxiety...

biko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    True acceptance.
    Attention meditation.
    Clean food.
    Jogging.
    Weight lifting.
    Vitamin D.
    Omega 3.
    No coffee.
    No stress.
    Quality sleep.
    Laughing.
    Social activities.

Try this when anxious or nervous etc...
    Breath out looooooong and sloooooowly, squeeze out all air, hold for a sec then naturally breath in, repeat.
    Last edited by biko; 05-15-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345