Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Supplements Do You Take for Depression/Anxiety/Mood Problems & Why? page 4

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I focused on the amino acids in The Mood Cure and skipped the vitamins. I know I have absorption problems, but I figure my diet is good enough. I take a B-complex once or twice a week, Vitamin D regularly, but that's about it aside from the 5-HTP every night. That made the biggest difference for me.

I did take L-Tyrosine for a while and it seemed to help with anxiety, but I don't seem to need it much anymore. I've found that anxiety is the key for my anxiety/depression and the 5-HTP helps with that and getting enough sleep. My dreams are more vivid when I take it, but not as bad as when I was on SSRI's. I had nightmares all the time on Prozac, especially. These are just weird dreams, not scary.
    I have started the 5-HTP since it seems to be the biggest for me out of the mood categories. I am adding in some vitamin D & B-complex in addition to a good multivitamin & fish oil omega3. I am still on the Wellbutrin for the time being. If things improve I will look at cutting that as well and maybe adding more aminos.

I got my hormones tested last year and found that my progesterone was low. When I took Vitex (to make my body produce more) for a few months, my PMS was entirely eliminated, but I didn't notice any overall change in moods.
    I am going to stop taking my birth control pill to see how my natural cycle is.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    When you can swing it, or if insurance will cover, I definitely recommend getting hormones tested regardless. Progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, and estradiol. I think there's another that's actually a thyroid thing, but 3-4 months after you quit birth control, things should be close to "normal" so it's a good time to test if your cycle is not regular at that point.

I was on birth control pills for about 5 years, trying different ones periodically when one would give odd side effects, before I finally gave up on them. I had never had a sex drive for very long, probably thanks to depression, SSRI's, and then hormonal imbalance, and I wanted to see if it would improve. It was not for another year after that I got my hormones tested, found my progesterone to be low, started supplementing Vitex, and noticed improvement. TL;DR, not related to mood exactly, but it was important to me and definitely makes me happier .

Do you feel like the fish oil makes a difference? I'd heard it's good for depression for YEARS and it never did anything for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    When you can swing it, or if insurance will cover, I definitely recommend getting hormones tested regardless. Progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, and estradiol. I think there's another that's actually a thyroid thing, but 3-4 months after you quit birth control, things should be close to "normal" so it's a good time to test if your cycle is not regular at that point.
    That's what I was thinking, wait a bit then test the levels if there seems to be a problem. My cycle was irregular/terrible during times I went off of BC. We will see. Just worried that I will have mood swings...

Do you feel like the fish oil makes a difference? I'd heard it's good for depression for YEARS and it never did anything for me.
    It's hard to tell since I started it at the same time as yoga & Wellbutrin as well as eating primal. It certainly hasn't hurt. I have read/heard amazing things about Omega-3s and the brain including it possibly helping with Alzheimers & other neurodegenerative diseases.

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    No supplement suggestion, but Google Body Talk, its amazing. If you can find someone who does it near you, it will open doors for you that you wouldn't believe.

Hard to explain, but its amazing. Nothing like a shrink, you don't need to divulge anything, unless you want to!

Good Luck!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    You have to be careful when supplementing with amino acids. Many of them balance each other out, and if you start supplementing with one, you may throw another one out of balance. I had been supplementing with Tyrosine for awhile (the precursor to dopamine), and it helped to give me energy to face the day. It worked great for awhile, and then I started to get really depressed. I happened to listen to a podcast that featured Dr. Kalish, and he spoke about neurotransmitters. Specifically, he stated that if you supplement with 5-HTP (the precursor to serotonin), you also need to take tyrosine, and vice versa. I realized that all of my tyrosine-only supplementation had caused an imbalance in my serotonin. I stopped taking tyrosine and let things balance back out.

It's similar to the zinc-copper connection. Having too much or too little of either one will affect the other. Just something to be aware of!

Something that really helped me when I was horribly depressed last year was iodine. I started supplementing with it because I had read that it could prevent ovarian cysts, and I was getting them every cycle, during ovulation. But as I started slowly ramping up my dosage, my depression lifted. I actually felt happy again! I still supplement with it, and at a much higher dose now. It still helps with my mood, and I haven't had an ovarian cyst since I started taking it.
    You have to be careful with iodine though. It displaces fluoride, chlorine and bromine, and that can cause some unpleasant side effects. I started at too high of a dose and it turns out that I was pretty toxic with bromine (there are specific bromine detox symptoms). I stopped for a short time and let things even out, and then I started back with miniscule doses and slowly increased the amount each week. I didn't have any side effects at that rate. In addition to abolishing my depression, some other positive side effects - I have more energy, and I had 2 stubborn warts that I couldn't get rid of (I even had one burned off by my dermatologist and it came back!) that eventually just disappeared. Iodine is a great immune system booster, so I also rarely get sick.

fiercehunter is offline Banned

grokina is offline Member
    Thyroid, saliva cortisol, dhea and all other hormones. A primary care provider even at a low cost clinic can usually be persuaded to check all of them, even if they often don't know how to treat suboptimal levels.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    You seriously need to have your hormones checked. I have been through years of doctors trying to prescribe me antidepressants - I would get the prescription filled, and stop taking them after a week. I knew I wasn't depressed - and I knew my hormones were out of whack.

I finally found a doctor who prescribed me bio-identical hormones, plus natural adrenal gland supplements and herbs. I now have energy, no depression and on my way to feeling like myself again.

I take Wilson's adrenal fatigue supplements, and also take selenium and iodine.

The first symptom of hormone imbalance is depression - and because your periods were all out of whack it appears you have been suffering for many years. The pill is poison - get off it - they are synthetic hormones. I really believe the reason I went through relatively early menopause (at 42) was because I had been on the pill so long. (from about 18 to 26). There are other forms of birth control that don't stuff up your system.

Look up the symptom of low/high estrogen, low/high progesterone - and get angry that your doctor didn't find out WHY your periods were all over the place - just chose to give you artificial hormones to make you have an artificial period, whereby the rest of your symptoms were still there.

You will not believe the difference normal hormones will make to your life - it is amazing...

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    You seriously need to have your hormones checked. I have been through years of doctors trying to prescribe me antidepressants - I would get the prescription filled, and stop taking them after a week. I knew I wasn't depressed - and I knew my hormones were out of whack.
    Yes, I'm definitely going to get them checked. I have some symptoms I won't mention here that fit with other hormonal issues. Since my depression has been lifelong, could hormones really have played a role before my cycle had even begun? I feel like I might have a hormone problem but also a brain chemistry issue. Lucky me.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I used to take all kinds of ritalin, welbutrin, and worse. Went Primal, and it began to help, but I was still down a lot. Increased my meat intake as part of my dietary experimentation and WOW, I felt amazing! Then I discovered liver. I ate a pound of it per week for six weeks before my body said to slow down. I was vitamin deficient in every possible way! Liver has consistently dampened my cravings, self-abuse, guilt, and many other ways of misery. I frickin' DARE you to feel sad or depressed for the three or four days after eating a pound of liver, cooked medium-rare, once your body is packed with existing liver nutrients. Make sure it's still bloody and soft inside. Only get grass-fed liver from a trusted local source, if possible. You can buy an ENTIRE liver for about $25.00, so no excuses.

If you like being sad and mopey, and letting the voice in your head have its way, then DON'T eat liver.

And vitamin D, that makes a huge difference, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast