Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Supplements Do You Take for Depression/Anxiety/Mood Problems & Why? page 2

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My recommendation is to read the Mood Cure or Diet Cure by Julia Ross. She recommends Amino Acid therapy for many of the symptoms that you describe.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting information, here. I, too, suffer from depression and anxiety. I've taken SSRI's, but didn't like the side effects. Primal helps, but doesn't cure it. Recently I've tried L-Theanine for anxiety because of all the great reviews...I'm not finding that it helps all that much. Maybe takes the edge off a little bit. I am going to look into the herbs mentioned above...thanks for the info, NotJustPaleo. You're not alone firetiger.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Interesting information, here. I, too, suffer from depression and anxiety. I've taken SSRI's, but didn't like the side effects. Primal helps, but doesn't cure it. Recently I've tried L-Theanine for anxiety because of all the great reviews...I'm not finding that it helps all that much. Maybe takes the edge off a little bit. I am going to look into the herbs mentioned above...thanks for the info, NotJustPaleo. You're not alone firetiger.
    It's funny, I drink a LOT of tea these days which you would think the caffeine would be not so good for anxiety and hyperactivity and the like. However, I think, owing to the theanine in the tea, I am a lot more mellow these days. I haven't tried supplementing with it, though maybe I should.

As I mentioned in my thread "Primal guide to tea," however, it could be that I am taking the time to properly make and relax with a cup of tea that is producing my "mellowing out" as much as the the anime in the tea itself.

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I would 100% recommend getting a hormone panel done. It might be a bit pricey, but seriously: you could go to a billion doctors and not find the answers you're looking for. THe blood doesn't lie. At least you'll know then if there is some physical malfunction that's causing you to feel this way (it could have began at a young age - mine did). Yoga, open communication, positive thinking, healthy eating, exercise are essential, but at the same time, supplemental imo.
    I can try and see if she will do the tests. I have been on birth control since I was 16 (for irregular cycle) so it's hard to tell how my cycle is naturally. The reason I seriously want to get better this time is because I lived in Perú for 2 years (Peace Corps) & I was able to actually experience contentment. I felt connected to the world rather than just going through the motions as I am now. That feeling went away about 6 months after I returned stateside and began my masters program.

I'm stressing out right now because I see my psychiatrist tomorrow & I know he's going to want to raise the Wellbutrin dose as I responded at first but since have responded to the medication less and less. It just seems like a temporary fix for a permanent problem rather than a solution. I've been on SSRIs before and responded to them but they didn't "fix" the problem either. I won't go back to SSRIs as that time period directly correlates with a large amount of weight gain.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Your post could have been written by me. I feel for you but it sounds as though you have hope and are wiling to change things for yourself. The best thing you could take right now is a daily dose of Hope and Patience, depression, anxiety and mood swings are so entrenched that healthy eating and a few rounds of CBT aren't going to help. However, daily and regular application of these things will help you.

For me, long term therapy/analysis was what changed my mindset and allowed me to function again in the world after crippling depression in my teens and early twenties. I had childhood depression and trauma and have had every type of depression since then. I require at present SSRI drugs, I'd like to come off them at some stage but I'm too fragile and now is not the time. I don't seem to suffer side-effects and see them as enough to get me through another rough patch.

Be careful with herbs and supplements, that can be very strong, particularly herbs. I strongly advice not to self-medicate with them without guidance from a naturopath, and don't mix with other medication without guidance either.

The birth control pill was a huge contributor to depression for me, could you come off and watch your cycle for a while? My hormones play an extensive role in my mood. Once you have had your hormones tested, you could take naturopathic herbs to help regulate your cycle, it could make a huge difference to your mood.

I hope all these responses help you, but you seem to be on the right path, so well done for doing that.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    You've been Primal for 2 months and seen some benefits, IMO more time is required.
    Have you strictly cut out both Grains and Dairy?, Gluten & Cassein in sensitive individuals will have a major impact on mood disruptions.
    My experience was after about 3 month's, I had a distinct shift in the headspace and things just felt lighter, same worries and fears, just turned down a notch in severity. Then about six months later a further clearing in the head allowing the space to just think about one thing at a time without all your troubles coming at you at the same time.
    As YB said, get some testing done to determine if their is any particular deficiency to deal with, but otherwise, focus on dense nutritient foods, sort out any bad sleep patterns and reallign circadian rhythms.
    CBT is good, like meditation and Yoga, they help you create new behavioural pathways and erase the old patterns so deeply reinforced from childhood.
    Don't have any particular suppliments to offer, medications just relieve symptoms and don't address core issues.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    I can try and see if she will do the tests. I have been on birth control since I was 16 (for irregular cycle) so it's hard to tell how my cycle is naturally. The reason I seriously want to get better this time is because I lived in Perú for 2 years (Peace Corps) & I was able to actually experience contentment. I felt connected to the world rather than just going through the motions as I am now. That feeling went away about 6 months after I returned stateside and began my masters program.

I'm stressing out right now because I see my psychiatrist tomorrow & I know he's going to want to raise the Wellbutrin dose as I responded at first but since have responded to the medication less and less. It just seems like a temporary fix for a permanent problem rather than a solution. I've been on SSRIs before and responded to them but they didn't "fix" the problem either. I won't go back to SSRIs as that time period directly correlates with a large amount of weight gain.
    Personally, what I have found with depression is that CHANGE is a very successful alleviator of symptoms...! But it's not permanent. I spent eight years moving house, and even now I still travel all the time. It's a distraction for me. I don't mean to presume this is the case for you: I'm sure living in Peru had lots of benefits other than that, but I don't believe that changing external circumstances is the answer, or that there's any one person / place that will bring us happiness.

It sounds like your stress levels got upped when you started your MA, and maybe this gradually brought you to the edge and over? I think people who suffer from depression have a default stress setting which is higher than others. Any excess stress is much harder for us to cope with.

I can't really comment on the meds, since I've never been on them... I know they do work for some people, but idk... it always seems to be a temporary solution to get them out of a fix, you know? My recent experiences with docs has confirmed to me that most don't have a clue what they're doing.

In relation to getting hormones tested: it's not just sex hormones you could look at. There's things like thyroid function, serotonin, cortisol... all of which can contribute to feelings of depression. I know I'm kind of pushing the blood work, but I've just been plauged with depression for so many years (to the point of nearly taking my own life), and I know now that trying to fix it yourself is really, really hard. You need something concrete to work with. Hence, the bloods.

Also, the pill can really fuck with the ol' hormones. Another reason to get it all checked out. If you're worried your doc won't give you the tests, just bamboozle her with a list of symptoms longer than her arm

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Be careful with herbs and supplements, that can be very strong, particularly herbs. I strongly advice not to self-medicate with them without guidance from a naturopath, and don't mix with other medication without guidance either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    medications just relieve symptoms and don't address core issues.
    Agree.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    First off, thank you so much for your replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    My recommendation is to read the Mood Cure or Diet Cure by Julia Ross. She recommends Amino Acid therapy for many of the symptoms that you describe.
    I read it yesterday; it scared the shit out of me. I fall into every single one of her mood problem categories. The amount of supplements is overwhelming; I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Your post could have been written by me. I feel for you but it sounds as though you have hope and are wiling to change things for yourself. The best thing you could take right now is a daily dose of Hope and Patience, depression, anxiety and mood swings are so entrenched that healthy eating and a few rounds of CBT aren't going to help. However, daily and regular application of these things will help you.

For me, long term therapy/analysis was what changed my mindset and allowed me to function again in the world after crippling depression in my teens and early twenties. I had childhood depression and trauma and have had every type of depression since then. I require at present SSRI drugs, I'd like to come off them at some stage but I'm too fragile and now is not the time. I don't seem to suffer side-effects and see them as enough to get me through another rough patch.

The birth control pill was a huge contributor to depression for me, could you come off and watch your cycle for a while? My hormones play an extensive role in my mood. Once you have had your hormones tested, you could take naturopathic herbs to help regulate your cycle, it could make a huge difference to your mood.

I hope all these responses help you, but you seem to be on the right path, so well done for doing that.
    I realize that no amount of meat or veggies or healthy fat that I eat is going to fix this. It's a long problem so I have formed/destroyed many neuronal connections in my brain. Like I said this is since I can remember. I think going off of my birth control is an excellent option, especially since I have sworn off men (since they tend to worsen all of the above symptoms).

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    You've been Primal for 2 months and seen some benefits, IMO more time is required.
    Have you strictly cut out both Grains and Dairy?, Gluten & Cassein in sensitive individuals will have a major impact on mood disruptions.
    My experience was after about 3 month's, I had a distinct shift in the headspace and things just felt lighter, same worries and fears, just turned down a notch in severity. Then about six months later a further clearing in the head allowing the space to just think about one thing at a time without all your troubles coming at you at the same time.
    As YB said, get some testing done to determine if their is any particular deficiency to deal with, but otherwise, focus on dense nutritient foods, sort out any bad sleep patterns and reallign circadian rhythms.
    CBT is good, like meditation and Yoga, they help you create new behavioural pathways and erase the old patterns so deeply reinforced from childhood.
    Don't have any particular suppliments to offer, medications just relieve symptoms and don't address core issues.
    No dairy/grains. I feel a difference in the mood swings; they are not as strong & I know that some of them might have been related to the carbs before. I will definitely keep eating well; that's been benefiting me in many ways already. I realize that this is going to be a long, incredibly difficult process but I'm willing to put in the hard work; I hate therapy but I know that I have to tackle the thinking patterns.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I had a lot of luck with temporarily taking 5-HTP for depression and irritability, BUT... it was because of a couple of head injuries that messed up my brain chemistry, and I wasn't taking anything else that might have interacted poorly with it. Might be worth doing some research and talking to your doctor about it, though. But I wouldn't just start taking it, especially if you're on something like Wellbutrin.

I'm yet another person suggesting that you get your hormones checked out, as well as vitamin D levels (at a minimum). Maybe look into how well you're sleeping (magnesium before bedtime helps me fall sleep quicker and stay asleep through the night) because bad sleep can really mess you up.

Also, you might want to try a spoonful or two per day of good quality, unprocessed coconut oil. I could tell a noticeable difference when I was taking it and when I wasn't. Things just seemed more "level", without so many of the highs and lows. I know it sounds like woo, but it did help, and it's much safer than pretty much anything else you could do.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The amount of supplements is overwhelming; I wouldn't even know where to begin.
    Though I found her book interesting and potentially helpful, that was my impression as well.

I think going off of my birth control is an excellent option, especially since I have sworn off men (since they tend to worsen all of the above symptoms).
    If you've been on a decent dose for a very long time, don't get discouraged if you don't immediately notice a change. When I stopped (admittedly 20 years ago) I thought I had totally bypassed all of the problems my friends had talked about when they went off them. It wasn't until 3 months later that I suddenly broke out in acne and got emotional. It took that long to exit my system. It might just take longer than you would think to see any changes.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast