Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eczema page 2

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd recommend an auto immune protocol and then reintroduce food groups one by one to see which individual foods, if any, affect your skin. On top of the normal paleo/primal diet, i.e, no grains I took out eggs, nuts, dairy, nightshades and sweeteners. After 30 days, I reintroduced eggs, and the next day had psoriasis plaques on my forehead. I reintroduced sugar, and it got really bad -painful, and spread all over my face and my hands. Stupidly, I continued adding back the other foods every four days, so I can't tell if the other foods contribute to the skin issues at all.

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    All the creams and stuff are just like bandaids for a bigger problem. I'd like to figure out what is causing the eczema. It's an allergic reaction to something. My dermatologist is useless and it is just getting worse.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Sharon is offline Member
    i wouldn't put any cream or anything on it except for some fresh aloe vera to soothe when it's itching or very dry and after cleaning your skin. make sure the eczema gets in touch with as less soap, detergent, shampoo... as possible, just plain water as much as possible and as less water as possible even. if you're taking a bath you can put ground oatmeal or epsom salts and some oil in.
    definitely stick with no dairy but you could try cutting out eggs too, shellfish, fish and no soy nor peanuts either and best have yourself tested for food allergens. like you say, you don't have a skin problem. you have a problem that manifest itself through your skin. you could focus on helping the elimination pathways of your body, especially the liver, think stimulate and support. the kidneys too and the colon (you're not constipated?) so drink as much water as possible, you can add some fresh lemon juice. do you juice sometimes? celery and parsley juice is wonderful. a glass a day can do wonders. you can add leafy greens and ginger, some lemon juice. foods like beets, leafy greens, all bitter tasting veg like chicory and artichokes, banana, turnips, alfalfa are good for your liver. you can drink tea of burdock root, nettle, artichoke leaf and use as much turmeric, rosemary, and ginger in your food as you can. milk thistle seed tincture is good too. you can't get enough essential fatty acids down either, think lots! MSM powder is very helpful for eliminating and detoxifying too. (if you use this it might get worse initially as you stimulate the elimination process). red clover tea is a food blood purifier and very helpful with eczema. do you dry brush your skin? it's very useful, just avoid the dry patches.

2Rae is offline Junior Member
    I have read that skin issues are how our bodies get rid of the waste that our liver isn't able to handle. There are plenty of things like dandelion tea, milk thistle that can help to heal/help the liver. Might be worth looking into that approach. I don't have eczema anymore. I do however, have "age/liver spots" that I'm looking into getting rid of.
    I like bullet proof coffee with coconut oil and GF butter (emulsified in the blender of course) in the morning too Walshy454. That's how I got rid of the sugar and/or non-dairy creamer that tasted oh so good (with a long paragraph of ingredients that I'm sure would have made the inside of me spurt white if I cut me open to have a look).

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walshy454 View Post
    I have suffered with eczema for 50 years but I am currently eczema free on Primal, however when I first started my eczema flared up and when I gave up dairy it didn't change. The relief for me was when I started eating grass fed butter in large quantities, I have a butter coffee every morning which has cured my skin and my eyes are clearer and less itchy. It is so interesting how different we all are. I hope you find your cure.
    How did you come across that as an idea for a solution?

I also have struggled with eczema for 35+ years and the change in diet had helped but still quite bad. A lack of sleep (due to 2 youngsters) doesn't help... Would agree about the docs and their quick fix band aid treatments such as steroids creams. Diet change has to be the answer but its a long slow process.

Also think the low intensity exercise helps rather than a more intensive higher inflammatory level.

I also take quite a few anti-inflammatory supplements (turmeric and ginger tablets, krill oil, zinc) which mean while the eczema is not great it seems to heal quite quickly after each flare-up so diet definitely helps there.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    there is also some thinking that eczema can be the manifestation of candida overgrowth.

agree about getting off the pharmaceuticals and avoiding ANY kind of detergent or potential irritant. pure aloe or coconut oil for soothing while trying various elimination strategies. good luck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

brd
    brd is offline Junior Member
    I'll be curious to see the replies you get. I get eczema on my fingers, back of hands, arms and elbows, and legs. I started suffering fromit at 34, when my daughter was born. No coincidence, stress can cause it, as can lack of sleep, which I've suffered with going to bed on time my whole life.

Going primal didn't seem to help, but not sure if I wasn't strict enough about it. Last June I started doing low carb again (after reading a bunch of Gary Taubes' stuff) and seemed like it was better through the summer, but since then it has been pretty constant. I did try a dairy free month (no cream in my coffee, that was the worst), but noticed no difference. I've also tried laying off wheat. Neither have seemed to help. I went to an osteopath and she ordered a blood panel (not sure which, something basic and probably not thorough) that showed nothing but possible bermuda grass reaction.

walshy454 is offline Junior Member
    Ben, I really dont know but I have been researching for years and trying many different things, going primal helped but it was a lucky stumble I guess when I started noticing my skin healing. I started making bulletproof coffee with westgold butter and to my amazement my skin healed very quickly and has been great for 2 months. I live in outback Australia and the winter here is very dry, but my skin has a completely different texture about it since I started consuming butter.

sidewinder is offline Member
    Mine went away after going primal but returned with a vengeance over a particularly stressful winter that also threw me off the primal wagon. Cleaning up my diet did not resolve the eczema like it did the first time around so I started googling. Got the idea my gut flora might be out of whack (stomach bug, stress, lack of sleep) so I started taking daily probiotics. My intake had been pretty sporadic before - a bottle of kombucha every couple months, sauerkraut here and there, greek yogurt as a condiment, the occasional supplement. The eczema hasn't completely cleared up, but the discomfort has lessened considerably. I've also seemed to break my weight loss plateau. Bonus!
    Last edited by sidewinder; 07-26-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Grammar

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walshy454 View Post
    Ben, I really dont know but I have been researching for years and trying many different things, going primal helped but it was a lucky stumble I guess when I started noticing my skin healing. I started making bulletproof coffee with westgold butter and to my amazement my skin healed very quickly and has been great for 2 months. I live in outback Australia and the winter here is very dry, but my skin has a completely different texture about it since I started consuming butter.
    Thanks for this - I'd never heard of that but certainly have now after a bit of research and made it a daily drink. Also drinking bone broth every day (twice a day) as that is supposed to be very good for healing the gut and also for the skin etc (and my wife thinks I've become a bit of a nut/hippy - but I think the taste is fantastic and feel great straight after)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast