Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oestrogen dominance page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Oestrogen dominance

Primal Fuel
    Has any one dealt with this successfully?

I just got extensive bloodwork done, and was discovered to have v. low progesterone and v. high oestrogen aka. Oestrogen dominance. Among other things, it's manifesting in me is by impairing my thyroid, stopping ovulation, and raising my stress hormones and cholesterol.

I'm actually very happy because now I know what's going on with me and I can deal with it accordingly

I'm being put on progesterone and as well as this, I'm going to take some supplements: B6, Zinc, and Mg. If any one has any other suggestions that would be great!

Has anyone tried acupuncture for it? If so, what complaint would I go in with - infertility?

Is there a kind of exercise that increases progesterone?

I also plan to have a lot more sex (not that women like that sort of thing, but I'll take a hit for the sake of my unborn children )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have the Mirena IUD, so a pretty constant flow of progesterone. I'm pretty happy with it and noticed my moods and weight were a lot more easy to control when I started it (8 years ago).

One thing you might want to pay attention to is that progesterone causes your joints to be a little more "loose", which may or may not be noticeable. For me, since I'm double jointed anyway, I have to be a little more careful. It can also cause you to bleed a little more when you go to the dentist. All in all, I'm very happy with progesterone, but make sure you mention it when you go to a new doctor or to the dentist.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Thanks for the reply Rita! What do you mean by "loose", and why do you have to be careful? I'm a yoga teacher so pretty flexible already...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-12-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It softens the cartilage, which in a pregnant woman is good so the uterus has room to expand and the baby can come out easier.

Probably not an issue for most people, but apparently I'm double jointed, and the combination of that, age and possibly the progesterone caused my hip joint to get a little too loose. The labrum that holds the leg "ball" in the hip socket slipped in between the two and tore. But it also took 8 years of progesterone and a very active (walking over uneven surfaces like gravel, hopping block walls, running from large dogs) job for that to happen. Most likely not the norm, just a possibility.

Again, I love the stuff. Even having done that, I would still use progesterone. If you have trouble with what the doc gives you (which is probably synthetic), don't give up. I tried a couple of brands before getting the IUD, and there was a wide range of effectiveness with each.

I actually noticed my walking was just a very tiny bit "off" for the first month or so, almost like I had been stretching and was somehow too limber. Odd, but not a problem.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Zach is offline Banned
    Talk to yor endo about an aromatase inhibiter? Arimidex, clomid, nolvadex. Im guessing this would be the next step if the prog does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    It softens the cartilage, which in a pregnant woman is good so the uterus has room to expand and the baby can come out easier.

Probably not an issue for most people, but apparently I'm double jointed, and the combination of that, age and possibly the progesterone caused my hip joint to get a little too loose. The labrum that holds the leg "ball" in the hip socket slipped in between the two and tore. But it also took 8 years of progesterone and a very active (walking over uneven surfaces like gravel, hopping block walls, running from large dogs) job for that to happen. Most likely not the norm, just a possibility.

Again, I love the stuff. Even having done that, I would still use progesterone. If you have trouble with what the doc gives you (which is probably synthetic), don't give up. I tried a couple of brands before getting the IUD, and there was a wide range of effectiveness with each.

I actually noticed my walking was just a very tiny bit "off" for the first month or so, almost like I had been stretching and was somehow too limber. Odd, but not a problem.
    Interesting... so did you have oestrogen dominance, and if so, how severe was the imbalance? I don't know a lot about it, but imagine that the more extreme the range is, the more severe the symptoms? Also, is it the kind of thing that gets worse with time if it's untreated?

I've been put on Duphaston. Are there more natural options?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Talk to yor endo about an aromatase inhibiter? Arimidex, clomid, nolvadex. Im guessing this would be the next step if the prog does not work.
    "Inhibitor aromatazy" is what I'd have to say to my Polish endo... ('Phew for google translate )

I see that it's used in the treatment of breast cancer - does that mean that oestrogen dominance can contribute to that? Scary stuff.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-12-2013 at 02:13 PM.

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    YB, the stuff "Dr." Zach is blithely prescribing there is some serious medication. I took Arimidex for five years after breast cancer to help prevent a recurrence. I really wouldn't want to take it for anything less life threatening than that however.

I am feeling so much better after having finished that five year Rx in February. I really think it has a system wide metabolic slowdown as a side effect. For instance I can eat way more now without gaining weight. I think my BMR was suppressed by the medication.

And yes estrogen does have a lot to do with breast cancer. My oncologist told me the best thing I could do to help prevent a recurrence was to lose weight since, in women, fat cells produce estrogen.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    So serious that every male on steroids in the entire world uses it to manage estrogen dominance..

Yes high estrogen is linked to cancer.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I think I have always had low progesterone, oestrogen dominance. I had 3 miscarriages before having my 3 kids, For my 4th pregnancy I started progesterone injections, which made me feel much better straight away. I was a while conceiving for the 4th too, so was put onto Clomid......brutal stuff, made me lose my marbles, couldn't think straight, forgot everything, felt like I was in a warp of some kind. But I did get pregnant.

I am now severely estrogen dominant again and am using progesterone cream. My two sisters have had breast cancer, and I am having pretty strong hot flashes/night sweats. Not sure it is helping much though.

Sorry, don't know of any alternative treatments though. Interested to see if anything comes up though.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    YB, the stuff "Dr." Zach is blithely prescribing there is some serious medication. I took Arimidex for five years after breast cancer to help prevent a recurrence. I really wouldn't want to take it for anything less life threatening than that however.

And yes estrogen does have a lot to do with breast cancer. My oncologist told me the best thing I could do to help prevent a recurrence was to lose weight since, in women, fat cells produce estrogen.
    Don't worry - Zach wasn't suggesting I take it: just that it might be worth speaking to my endo about. I seriously need to up my level of Polish, lol.

Thanks for the info. Scary how hormonal imbalances can fuck people up so royally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    So serious that every male on steroids in the entire world uses it to manage oestrogen dominance..
    Interesting...

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast