Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best martial art? page

wiltondeportes Guest

Best martial art?

Shop Now
    Shou Shu Online
    Sheng Chi Kung Fu | Make an Impact!

I have yet to find one better. This is a pretty rare art, and the 'why' for that would take a little storytelling. You can read around his websites if you're interested. If you're lucky, there might be a school near you. If not, just learning concepts from the website and all of the first belt material would be of help to aspiring martial artists.

I love the martial arts.... Talk to me if you do too.

PS- Shou Shu is the name of the art, and Sheng Chi is the name of his school. I don't want to confuse you right off the bat.

Natureman Guest
    I have researched Krav Maga and it looks pretty street effective. More realistic than katas and letting people stand there while one kicks them. I personally practice Aikido but I am not sure how effective it would be with a wild attack. I want to start Karv Maga as well. Street related arts. Nothing with a philosophy to it.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    For striking, I'd say muay thai is at or near the top of the list. For grappling, some form of wrestling or Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Remember before "Mixed Martial Arts" was its own thing and Rorion Gracie decided to organize a no-rules tournament for practitioners of all different martial arts styles to determine which one was the best?

It was called Ultimate Fighting Championship and a 6'1, 180 lb skinny Brazilian kid won the damn thing. Well, I was recently at a seminar with Royce Gracie himself, and he left us with one open question. The question was: If Jiu Jitsu doesn't have the answer, what does?

Meaning if you're attacked by someone so much bigger and stronger and more talented than you to the point that Jiu Jitsu doesn't save you, please explain what can. Boxing? Really? Kickboxing? Wrestling? Seriously. I know this point has been beaten to death all over the internet, but there's only a few martial arts that even train against full resistance (boxing, a few forms of kickboxing, judo, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu) and only one of those really gives a smaller guy a really good chance to survive an attack from a bigger, stronger opponent.

In modern times, it has its shortcomings (let's not get into the whole Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs. Gracie Jiu Jitsu and sport-specific techniques arguments here, or how the rules change when the referee stands everyone up after 30 seconds on the ground/5 minute rounds, etc), but I have to ask you the same question Royce offered us the other weekend. Really. If not Jiu Jitsu, then what?

Calidris is offline Junior Member
    Any martial art or no martial art. It is not the art that matters but the person using that art. If I am all fired up and determined to beat you with my kung fu then you had better be equally determined to beat me with your art or I am going to win. I dont care what your art is.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Grok-fu?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Remember before "Mixed Martial Arts" was its own thing and Rorion Gracie decided to organize a no-rules tournament for practitioners of all different martial arts styles to determine which one was the best?

It was called Ultimate Fighting Championship and a 6'1, 180 lb skinny Brazilian kid won the damn thing. Well, I was recently at a seminar with Royce Gracie himself, and he left us with one open question. The question was: If Jiu Jitsu doesn't have the answer, what does?

Meaning if you're attacked by someone so much bigger and stronger and more talented than you to the point that Jiu Jitsu doesn't save you, please explain what can. Boxing? Really? Kickboxing? Wrestling? Seriously. I know this point has been beaten to death all over the internet, but there's only a few martial arts that even train against full resistance (boxing, a few forms of kickboxing, judo, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu) and only one of those really gives a smaller guy a really good chance to survive an attack from a bigger, stronger opponent.

In modern times, it has its shortcomings (let's not get into the whole Brazilian Jiu Jitsu vs. Gracie Jiu Jitsu and sport-specific techniques arguments here, or how the rules change when the referee stands everyone up after 30 seconds on the ground/5 minute rounds, etc), but I have to ask you the same question Royce offered us the other weekend. Really. If not Jiu Jitsu, then what?
    i'm with you on this one. from a stand-up perspective, a decent amount of muy thai training can be quite helpful, in terms of throwing proper punches and kicks, and learning how to block. but let's face it, life isn't a fight scene from a movie. your attacker might outweigh you by 75lbs, or be incredibly skilled due to lots of martial arts or boxing experience. JJ is the great equalizer. get that big guy on the ground and use his weight against him, maybe snap a few of his joints in the process. neutralize a talented striker's hands by dislocating his elbow. most people should have a little jj training. enough with the bogus women's self defense seminars, and lets teach them something that could actually help them in a life threatening situation. lets see, the rapist throws you down, and gets on top of you. throw him in a triangle, and choke him out using your powerful leg muscles
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    enough with the bogus women's self defense seminars, and lets teach them something that could actually help them in a life threatening situation.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
    Any martial art or no martial art. It is not the art that matters but the person using that art. If I am all fired up and determined to beat you with my kung fu then you had better be equally determined to beat me with your art or I am going to win. I dont care what your art is.
    Ridiculous claim. Reveals total ignorance on the topic at hand. Thanks for sharing.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    How does Jiu-Jitsu handle concrete/asphalt? I'm curious about that because when you're sparring you can be aggressive with takedowns on a padded mat, but can you pull off the same thing outside on the street on asphalt, especially if the opponent is heavy?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast