Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Best martial art? page 14

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    In my highly uneducated opinion, any form of training that pitches you one on one against another human being is totally awesome. I just started my classes, and it is something completely different. But I find the self-defense moves atm hellishly difficult.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    "Defending" and emphasizing getting back to your feet are asking for trouble. In an actual real attack, by someone determined to harm you, you need to end things, and end them quickly. Prolonging a fight one second longer than necessary just puts you at more risk.

I've also always disliked the idea of "defending" oneself. Once someone has decided to try and do me harm, I'm going on the offensive and getting things done. Defending leads to getting hurt.
    Kinda goes right along with:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kreese
    We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    "Defending" and emphasizing getting back to your feet are asking for trouble. In an actual real attack, by someone determined to harm you, you need to end things, and end them quickly. Prolonging a fight one second longer than necessary just puts you at more risk.

I've also always disliked the idea of "defending" oneself. Once someone has decided to try and do me harm, I'm going on the offensive and getting things done. Defending leads to getting hurt.

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    Shou Shu is all about attacking. The philosophy is simply to attack in other ways than the ground game. The ground game defense is thrown in there for 'just in case scenarios'.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I'm watchin some Shou Shu demos on youtube, and this guy is talking about drills to develop peripheral vision reflexes and I feel awesome- I realized this theory on my own years ago, and train almost daily since then in staring at my wife's breasts while she throws punches. She can't touch me anymore if I don't want her too and I can pluck her wrist outta the air with fingers-on-specific-wrist-points precision, after so much practice.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

this old dude's definitely the shit though
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

wiltondeportes Guest
    Here is what sounds like a solid system. It's called SCARS. It was founded by a guy who wrote a PhD thesis for the Naval Academy about why/how it's better to be offensive in your self-defense than defensive. This is exactly what I said a little bit ago.

Check out this video. It should start for you at 3:06. Here, you get to see constantly flowing chi. They're missing the "concentrated" aspect of the chi of course (meaning learning to use every ounce of your body to produce max impact power), but it's better than other stuff I've seen.

Interestingly enough, that sequence at 3:06 is an exact technique I've been taught in Shou Shu, which borrows its techniques from Tracy's Kenpo.

http://youtu.be/l6NzO2LRyj0?t=3m6s
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-08-2013 at 01:39 AM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    This is also quite effective:

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    This might just work too...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Now, I have no problem learning a variety of arts. I think there can be a 'better' art but it's unlikely there is a 'perfect' art out there. A little Sambo or Jiu Jitsu would be a great contrast to a primarily striking art. I don't know if I would want to use it though if I could avoid it.

Let me quote a conversation over this stuff from another forum. Let me know what you think....

Tell ya what I think. The entire exchange is fictional bullshit.

When do you ever get this: BJJ mate: (silent for a bit) "Yeah but if the fight goes to the ground..."

BJJ mate silent for a bit? On a forum exchange? Come on now, get real.

TwitchF4C is offline Junior Member
    Are we talking competition or street self-defense? Because those are two completely different avenues. And I'll give you a reason in two words; multiple opponents

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314