Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Best martial art? page 11

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    It comes down to complacent/no opponents vs. real attackers. This is where you've lost the plot. Don't you claim to be some quantum mechanics genius?
    If you make an art acceptable for frequent sparring, you're either going to get injured all the time, or you're going to water down the art.

Complete mis-statement of my claim. Reading comprehension fail.
    Don't overreact.

What if you don't know the pitcher's going to pitch the ball? What if the ball jumps off the tee and tackles you to the ground? You're being particularly obtuse for such a self-proclaimed genius.
    You still need to build proper muscle memory.

You think fighting is like hitting a baseball. I think it's more like trying to juggle three handfuls of Jell-o in a wind tunnel. Fact is, you're just plain ignorant on the matter.
    Ok...

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    If you make an art acceptable for frequent sparring, you're either going to get injured all the time, or you're going to water down the art.
    so clearly the frequent sparring that boxers and mma fighters undertake is watering down the art. those pros are weaksauce compared to the guys who only do katas in their living rooms and local strip-mall ninja training centers. you are really raising, er, lowering the bar with your comments.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

wiltondeportes Guest
    I'm going to step back from my comments on Shou Shu. I had an in-built faith with my uncle being a black belt, and I haven't done much training with it yet. I'm going to do some research.

Edit: And for the record, my change of heart was after watching the demos you posted. I simply hadn't done my homework yet.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-30-2013 at 08:01 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to step back from my comments on Shou Shu. I had an in-built faith with my uncle being a black belt, and I haven't done much training with it yet. I'm going to do some research.
    No BS Martial Arts is a good place to start.

wiltondeportes Guest
    No BS Martial Arts is a good place to start.
    Back to the topic, what do you think are the best styles for real life? I saw you said jiu-jitsu, but that's strictly grappling. What about striking? Real life, not UFC.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-30-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Back to the topic, what do you think are the best styles for real life?
    In real life you will sooner or later deal with certain hysterical woman that fights like cats using their long nails trying to mess up your face! So, a good martial art that can immobilize and pacify a very upset woman with long nails without hurting her, may be very useful, so go for judo, JJ, or BJJ...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    In real life you will sooner or later deal with certain hysterical woman that fights like cats using their long nails trying to mess up your face! So, a good martial art that can immobilize and pacify a very upset woman with long nails without hurting her, may be very useful, so go for judo, JJ, or BJJ...
    Or be nicer to your women and still pick Jiu Jitsu (Gracie-/Brazilian-) or Judo.

Misabi is offline Senior Member

Edit: And for the record, my change of heart was after watching the demos you posted. I simply hadn't done my homework yet.
    Well done. Many would've just carried on arguing their point or just quietly walked away.

To be fair though, most "demos" at a public events look fake, as that's exactly what they are. They are usually choreographed adverts to demonstrate the most fanciful and exciting aspects to attract new students.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Well done. Many would've just carried on arguing their point or just quietly walked away.

To be fair though, most "demos" at a public events look fake, as that's exactly what they are. They are usually choreographed adverts to demonstrate the most fanciful and exciting aspects to attract new students.
    Alright, so as I said, I am questioning my sources right now. I think my logic had been sound. It's just a few, assumed truths I'm relying on from other people that could be throwing my conclusions out of wack. That's the only way it can be for me when I have not spent extensive time in a wide variety of martial arts or in street fighting to confirm or deny these facts. So some situational facts that I state are open to debate.

There is one key point I'd like to make about sparring.

It's late, and I just forgot the specifics of the discussion I had over this earlier.... Well, stay tuned.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-31-2013 at 04:54 AM.

prufock is offline Member
    The "best" martial art has to be one that makes use of a weapon. As a general rule, weapon beats no weapon. If you find yourself legitimately fighting for your life, grab a pool cue, rock, keys, whatever is handy, before your opponent does. This has 4 effects: threatens your opponent so he might back down, gives you greater reach, protects your own hand since the object will be doing the hitting, and hurts more.

Most effective martial art? Probably point shooting.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast