Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 140

Thread: Best martial art? page 10

  1. #91
    CaveBug's Avatar
    CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    303
    Primal Fuel
    I just remember going to see all the Tae Kwan Do classes my brother and best friend took at the local McDojo when we were little and I remember being bored. No one did anything beyond *ha!* (left arm out, right arm by side) *ha!* (reverse) and I didn't think it looked very applicable.

    Two years ago I left for Africa and to pacify my mother and ease her fears I told her I'd take a self defense class. I ended up at a local Krav Maga place and really enjoyed myself. The instructor threw bits of GJJ in there as well and I liked that too.

    While in Africa, when my parents were visiting, we experienced an attempted mugging while walking at night. Two guys walking past us turned and ran at me and my dad . One distracted him and the other grabbed the strap of my bag and almost jerked me off my feet. But I remember thinking "I should punch you in the face." but I couldn't make the line connect to what to do after that. Mom, on the other hand was screaming her head off and that did the most good, some people came running and the attackers left.

    Afterwards, once the adrenaline wore off I remember thinking, "oh, I totally could have done xyz." But wheather or not it would have worked or made things worse, we'll never know. We were lucky, it could have been much worse.

    I guess I came to a couple conclusions after that, 1) If you don't train you won't get any better no matter how 'user friendly' the system is and 2) it doesn't matter how much you train, real life surprises you and all you can do is hope that you did #1 enough that you can keep yourself in one piece.

  2. #92
    wiltondeportes's Avatar
    wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBug View Post
    I just remember going to see all the Tae Kwan Do classes my brother and best friend took at the local McDojo when we were little and I remember being bored. No one did anything beyond *ha!* (left arm out, right arm by side) *ha!* (reverse) and I didn't think it looked very applicable.

    Two years ago I left for Africa and to pacify my mother and ease her fears I told her I'd take a self defense class. I ended up at a local Krav Maga place and really enjoyed myself. The instructor threw bits of GJJ in there as well and I liked that too.

    While in Africa, when my parents were visiting, we experienced an attempted mugging while walking at night. Two guys walking past us turned and ran at me and my dad . One distracted him and the other grabbed the strap of my bag and almost jerked me off my feet. But I remember thinking "I should punch you in the face." but I couldn't make the line connect to what to do after that. Mom, on the other hand was screaming her head off and that did the most good, some people came running and the attackers left.

    Afterwards, once the adrenaline wore off I remember thinking, "oh, I totally could have done xyz." But wheather or not it would have worked or made things worse, we'll never know. We were lucky, it could have been much worse.

    I guess I came to a couple conclusions after that, 1) If you don't train you won't get any better no matter how 'user friendly' the system is and 2) it doesn't matter how much you train, real life surprises you and all you can do is hope that you did #1 enough that you can keep yourself in one piece.
    I agree with your points at the end. It comes down to muscle memory and simple awareness. Some, like RichMahogany, believe you only get this through full-speed sparring. I believe it is most important to focus on your technique to improve your muscle memory. Simple awareness is fairly organic, and I don't believe it takes 100 head shots in a sparring session to get it.

    To go back to my baseball bat analogy, you practice your swing on a tee, you take soft toss, you take BP, etc. Very little of your swing training comes from live pitching. If all batters ever trained against was live pitching, the analogy is that there would be fewer power hitters, most swings would be really level, and the power hitters that exist would all be relying on brute strength.

    The fact that batters take so many swings in non-live pitching situations does mean their swing falls apart when facing live pitching. Their muscle memory simply takes over, and their only thoughts are to hit the ball. Same goes for Shou Shu. You won't be thinking about any complex shit if you had to fight. It would be instinctual as boxing, only the techniques would be more advanced, powerful, and diverse.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-29-2013 at 10:39 PM.

  3. #93
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,735
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Dude. I'm spitting protein shakes out my nose reading this shit. Tell me you're not serious.
    As a heart attack! Look how deadly It is:
    http://youtu.be/363pvamT6xE
    http://youtu.be/mcklGe-JFno

    But seriously, when the adrenalin is flowing you lose a lot if your fine motor skills, which means intricate movements become very difficult.

    The second clip is obviously choreographed and rehearsed (as it's a demo), the clip below is just pure silliness movie fu.
    http://youtu.be/4LAOKfxhywI

    Reminds me of when I trained in aikido as a kid.

    Learning Filipino martial arts more recently was very different (though there are lots of crap fantasy versions out there too) we learned through drills and then tested it full speed in full contact against someone trying to hurt you. You soon workout the fiddly fancy stuff that looks flash doesn't fly.

    It usually ended up looking more like this:
    http://youtu.be/v5KkPcMUN_Q
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  4. #94
    ssn679doc's Avatar
    ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,029
    wait... the best martial art isn't Clink Chink Pow? You can seriously mess someone up using that and be hundreds of yards away thereby incurring no personal bodily damage........

  5. #95
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,735
    So I was going to be smart and post up the this old classic:
    http://youtu.be/tib2Urowsdc

    When I realised I'd ended up in the dark part of YouTube. Unfortunately, I didn't realise until it was too late and ended up watching something that I've had difficulty finding the words to describe. Not because what happened is not straight forward to explain, but because I was left feeling so angry, disgusted and downright furious!

    Some poor mentally ill guy wasn't beaten by a black belt in a US dojo, in front of the so called "sensei" and other students. The poor guy is in such a mess at the end and dragged out the back of the dojo to be apparently dumped in a dumpster. It is questionable as to whether he survived the night.

    I won't link to the video, but I will link to this site instead:
    http://www.justice4kungfuguy.com/
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  6. #96
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I agree with your points at the end. It comes down to muscle memory and simple awareness. Some, like RichMahogany, believe you only get this through full-speed sparring. I believe it is most important to focus on your technique to improve your muscle memory. Simple awareness is fairly organic, and I don't believe it takes 100 head shots in a sparring session to get it.

    To go back to my baseball bat analogy, you practice your swing on a tee, you take soft toss, you take BP, etc. Very little of your swing training comes from live pitching. If all batters ever trained against was live pitching, the analogy is that there would be fewer power hitters, most swings would be really level, and the power hitters that exist would all be relying on brute strength.

    The fact that batters take so many swings in non-live pitching situations does mean their swing falls apart when facing live pitching. Their muscle memory simply takes over, and their only thoughts are to hit the ball. Same goes for Shou Shu. You won't be thinking about any complex shit if you had to fight. It would be instinctual as boxing, only the techniques would be more advanced, powerful, and diverse.
    holy hell. this just proved your overall level of not-getting-it-ness
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  7. #97
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    As a heart attack! Look how deadly It is:
    Yellow B, Bear Shou Shu. - YouTube
    Real Shou Shu - YouTube

    But seriously, when the adrenalin is flowing you lose a lot if your fine motor skills, which means intricate movements become very difficult.

    The second clip is obviously choreographed and rehearsed (as it's a demo), the clip below is just pure silliness movie fu.
    Moores Karate Shou Shu www.MooresMartialArts.com - YouTube

    Reminds me of when I trained in aikido as a kid.

    Learning Filipino martial arts more recently was very different (though there are lots of crap fantasy versions out there too) we learned through drills and then tested it full speed in full contact against someone trying to hurt you. You soon workout the fiddly fancy stuff that looks flash doesn't fly.

    It usually ended up looking more like this:
    Crafty Dog In Action - YouTube
    the saddest part is that the people who do this kind of stuff actually BELIEVE it to be viable in a real-world situation. like they become some sort of ninja, impervious to attack. but what happens if someone throws a monkey wrench at them and isn't standing exactly where they are supposed to be? or what if they don't just throw a wild haymaker? then your crane technique upward defense or whatever the hell silly dance they taught you for $150 a month goes out the window.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  8. #98
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    It comes down to muscle memory and simple awareness.
    It comes down to complacent/no opponents vs. real attackers. This is where you've lost the plot. Don't you claim to be some quantum mechanics genius?

    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Some, like RichMahogany, believe you only get this through full-speed sparring. I believe it is most important to focus on your technique to improve your muscle memory. Simple awareness is fairly organic, and I don't believe it takes 100 head shots in a sparring session to get it.
    Complete mis-statement of my claim. Reading comprehension fail.

    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    To go back to my baseball bat analogy, you practice your swing on a tee, you take soft toss, you take BP, etc. Very little of your swing training comes from live pitching. If all batters ever trained against was live pitching, the analogy is that there would be fewer power hitters, most swings would be really level, and the power hitters that exist would all be relying on brute strength.
    What if you don't know the pitcher's going to pitch the ball? What if the ball jumps off the tee and tackles you to the ground? You're being particularly obtuse for such a self-proclaimed genius.

    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    The fact that batters take so many swings in non-live pitching situations does mean their swing falls apart when facing live pitching. Their muscle memory simply takes over, and their only thoughts are to hit the ball. Same goes for Shou Shu. You won't be thinking about any complex shit if you had to fight. It would be instinctual as boxing, only the techniques would be more advanced, powerful, and diverse.
    You think fighting is like hitting a baseball. I think it's more like trying to juggle three handfuls of Jell-o in a wind tunnel. Fact is, you're just plain ignorant on the matter.

  9. #99
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,062
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You think fighting is like hitting a baseball. I think it's more like trying to juggle three handfuls of Jell-o in a wind tunnel. Fact is, you're just plain ignorant on the matter.
    didn't you know? shou shu practitioners have to juggle jello in a wind tunnel to get their orange belts. that's child's play once you've mastered the inverted stork-monkey technique
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  10. #100
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,200
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    didn't you know? shou shu practitioners have to juggle jello in a wind tunnel to get their orange belts. that's child's play once you've mastered the inverted stork-monkey technique
    Damn those Jello-juggling monkey-storks!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •