Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage III Adrenal Fatigue and the Primal Diet

Hybrid View

Stage III Adrenal Fatigue and the Primal Diet

Just wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue, I have been battling with this for a couple years all the while trying to find a good program to help me heal. It is suggested that people with Adrenal Fatigue should not fast, (too stressful on the adrenals), also eating small meals or snacks throughout the day for blood sugar regulation is necessary since Adrenal Fatigue can also cause symptoms of hypoglycemia, also one has to be careful not to over do it on the exercise. All this being said, I would be interested in any information about the Primal Diet and Adrenal Fatigue, does there need to be any modifications to the program?

Thank you,
    Annie

Hi Annie1962,

I'm in a similar boat as you. Just started a more primal lifestyle about a month ago, but at the same time am trying to get my adrenals back to normal (my cortisol levels start out waaay at the bottom of the barrel in the a.m. and just keep going down). I have found that the higher fat/moderate protein/low carb does seem to keep the dips in my blood sugar less extreme. Still not sure what to do about the fasting thing -- I can't go more than the 12 hrs overnight at this point.

What resources have you looked at so far? This blog might be helpful, though maybe doesn't tell you stuff you don't already know....
    http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...al-health.html
    Last edited by AutumnP; 05-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Hi Autumn,

Thanks for your reply and the link, I found it informative. I have been following Dr. James Wilson's protocol for Adrenal Fatigue and I think it maybe working along with staying away from the carbs. I am somewhat afraid to over do it on the exercise, I have a tendency to do too much when I feel a little better, I take a couple of steps forward and several back. I definitely will not be fasting until I have a clean bill of health, I will do another Saliva test after this summer to see where I am, I just can't risk messing myself up more than I am already, so I am taking it slow. I am not sure but I think the fasting is recommended to those who do not already have an Adrenal problem. Do you do any special protocol for healing your Adrenals? It sure has been a wild ride...

Thanks Annie

Hi Annie,

Glad you liked the link -- DrBG's whole blog is really good!

I have Dr. Wilson's book though haven't read it all. Trying to create a program that blends the best of both worlds. Have bought his Adrenal Rebuilder and am just waiting (not too patiently!) for it to arrive. Which, if any, of his products have you tried? If any, what did you think? Any other supplements you use? What does your current regime look like? Would be great to have someone to compare notes with -- and celebrate successes!

A wild ride -- and a sucky one. I hate being tired all the freakin' time. Yeah, the IF likely isn't the best for adrenal fatigue, so I think I'm going to cross it off my list for now (do you know the PaNu blog -- IF is really recommended there, too -- it's a very interesting blog, though the approach is a little more extreme than PB/MDA). The exercise is a tough one -- I think that's part of what got me to the adrenal fatigue in the first place (i.e., chronic cardio). Trying to do a better job of listening to my body, and that meant a whole bunch of days off from sprints, weights, yoga, last week. Felt so crappy that all I could do was walking -- frustrating. My new goal is 1x/wk swimming, 2x/wk weights, and 1x/week sprints, plus lots of walking. As far as food goes, the only dairy I have is butter, heavy cream, and goat cheese; completely cut out reg coffee and teas (including the matcha I had been consuming copiously -- miss it!) but once in a while have decaf -- I think the heavy cream buffers any residual caffeine or theobromide; eat very little fruit, though am thinking of adding a little back in so my carbs aren't too low (had been targeting 50 grams per day so I could shed a few pounds, but I think that needs to go on the same 'wait until later' list like IF and get it back up to 75-100). Try not to snack to keep insulin/blood sugar low, and if I need something to tide me over between meals, I have fresh ginger slices in hot water with heavy cream. Hmmmmm... I think those are the biggies. Supplement with vit D3, vit C, vit B complex, cod liver oil, and magnesium. Sleep is a challenge, but am trying to do some better sleep hygiene things (i.e. cut out TV for an hr before bed). Plan to start meditating sometime in the not-too-distant future. My period is really whacked out, too -- haven't had one for 2 months (my estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone are also bottom of the barrel).

Hope this helps... would be interested in hearing your 'story,' too!

Oh! I wanted to tell you, I am not sure who you bought Dr. Wilson's formula from but if you are interested I am getting it much cheaper than from his site. Let me know and I will give you the link...

Annie

Exclamation less expensive Dr. Wilson's suppls

Quote Originally Posted by Annie1962 View Post
    Oh! I wanted to tell you, I am not sure who you bought Dr. Wilson's formula from but if you are interested I am getting it much cheaper than from his site. Let me know and I will give you the link...

Annie
    Annie, can you please send me the link to order dr wilson's suppls cheaper than on the website. I used to get them somewhere, need to start them again, but need that discount, thank you!!

Hi All,

I just found this forum through a google. I'm in the UK and have had AF identified by a nutrishionist after approx 10 years of symptoms. It's been so long i can't remember what feeling well is like... I have been making some progress though but I'm in a bit of a funk atm partly because of the change of season I think.
    I'm taking Dynamite Adrenal daily and vit C too. I've just this week added siberian ginseng and an extra dose of chromium & vit c later in the day.
    I do work full time but thankfully manage my own diary so my job is very felxible.
    I miss; yoga, running, my friends, going out, having a drink with my pals and feeling like i can handle daily life (why is getting a letter into the post box so difficult?).
    I'm have cut out caffiene since the spring (i drink green tea though) and i cut out sweets n choc for ages but the last few months i've slipped back down that slope again, which may explain my relapse. Chocolate is an extra prob because it is a stimulant that exhausts the adrenals in addition to any caffiene; so if u think high % choc is better for low carb/low sugar diet then that is the case but with AF you have the added prob of cocoa being an additional burden on the adrenals.
    I find one of my biggest problems is the fact that doctors won't acknowledge it so I can't really explain it to work or some other people. Most of my good friends understand that i've finallly found the answer to my 'illness' but others (family...) really havn't engaged with it.
    I have very low blood pressure and have had for ages.
    My diet is quite high carb so I feel like i should make more changes but i don't really feel like i have the energy to change atm so I'm working towards that...

How are you all? It was a while since you posted. If you want to start up some chat again that would be nice.
    All the best & happy holidays :0) LucyBlue

I alos have pretty severe adrenal fatigue. Diagnosed after almost 15 yrs of symptoms and being told I am fine and handed a prescription for anti depressants, which I never took! Then I was diagnosed at age 19 with fibromyalgia, which turns out was just leaky gut, as described in an earlier post, with many food allergies, including wheat!
    I also went raw vegan to heal all that ailed me. Little did i know it was so bad for me! It healed my leaky gut and a few other things, but not my adrenals. So, here I am trying to find my way eating Primal. It certainly took me a while to start eating meat again after being vegan, but now I absolutely LOVE a juicy steak!
    Anyway, would love to keep chatting about this, and how primal is helping!

Wow

I'm really glad I came across this thread - I'm pretty sure I was guided here.... It's 4:15 am at the moment and I am awake while I should be sleeping. This is nothing new, but my problem is somewhat inescapable at the moment. I'm a nurse and I work nightshift, so yesterday's whopping 2.5hours of sleep after getting off work in the morning was enough to only allow me 3 hours of sleep last night. I work three 12 hour shifts a week from 7pm til 7:30 am (often later) and have worked nightshift pretty steadily (not always full time, though) for a good 14 years now. It has really messed with me, but the primal route has helped immensely with many issues.

I know my adrenals are a mess. Im eager to read from the links here to find out what I can do to take care of them and hopefully have more normal adrenal function in the future. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do know that the first order of business is to GET SOME SLEEP....................!!

Have any of you taken sleep aids when you simply cannot sleep? I take Valerian root and L-tryptophan when I have to take something. Should I be taking anything at all? What should I NOT take?

Thanks in advance.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

I've battled adrenal fatigue for about 15 years (to varying degrees). 2 years ago I started acupuncture and my practitioner (very experienced) told be I was so depleted it would take up to two years to "fix" me! I actually quit my job in order to heal and STILL had a heck of a time making any progress.

It wasn't until I started eating Primally that I made ANY significant progress! I was formerly a vegetarian (which I know think is a huge no-no for adrenal fatigue!) My diet was working against me. Hang in there- you will make progress, but it takes awhile. I've ben Primal on-and off since last summer and then strictly since Jan. It wasn't until I got strict (NO grains!) that my hormones really started responding positively (they were low and I wasn't ovulating very often).

I'm happy to report I can now intermittent fast with no problems, I have enough energy to work out (kettlebell a few x/week and daily 30 min. walking) without getting completely worn-out! Be easy on yourself. I didn't do much more than a few 15-20 min. walks a few x/week for a long time because I would end up very weak after.
    BTW, fasting isn't something anyone needs to worry about doing. It's a minor part of the program and I wouldn't do it until your adrenals are stronger and you have no blood sugar issues. I used to be hypoglycemic and I no longer am, so an 18 hour fast (from evening until the afternoon the next day) is doable for me now. I would hold off for a long time on that, though.

I've read Wilson's book and I feel like it's excellent and I use a lot of the recommendations. I add Real Salt to all my beverages (it's made a day-and night difference in my low blood pressure and heat intolerance!). My one stumbling block is getting to bed before I get a cortisol spike. Naughty night owl, I am!!

Other things that have helped a lot are:

Qigong (similar to Tai Chi but more restorative/healing). I started out with this dvd and felt a difference very quickly- it only takes 9 min. to do the routine after you learn it: http://www.amazon.com/Gong-Cleansing.../dp/B000AYELB0

Rhodiola- a great adaptogenic herb. Himalaya Stress Care is also excellent.

Coenzyme B complex (I like Jarrow B-Right or Country Life Coenzyme B Complex)

Avoiding caffeine/chocolate for a long time (I can handle a bit now).
    Last edited by hazyjane; 05-16-2010 at 12:27 PM.