Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stage III Adrenal Fatigue and the Primal Diet page 3

Jaxel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm new here and have adrenal fatigue, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, celiac disease and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff so my main reason for going primal is ENERGY. I'm so bleepin' tired all the time.

I take Sleep Release every night because I *have* to get sleep otherwise I can't function and I either feel my muscles twitch/can't get comfortable or have snoring husband/restless kids to deal with. I used to take Tylenol PM but the sleep release doesn't leave me groggy the next morning.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Hey Jaxel,

I hope primal works for you. Getting off the carbs/blood sugar rollarcoaster certainly makes energy levels more steady.

Good luck!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I am emerging (thankfully) from a few years of adrenal fatigue. My sympathies---it really sucks.

Here's what has helped me:

1. Ditching caffeine.
    2. Meditation practice.
    3. At bedtime I take 50 mg. of trazodone (for sleep) as well as magnesium.
    4. I really turned the corner on the problems when I began taking Mark's Damage Control Master Formula and Primal Calm.
    5. I take magnesium at bedtime, too.

PWG

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Tomorrow is my long-awaited appointment with a recommended naturopath to get on the path to getting this adrenal thing resolved. On my intake form, I put "adrenal fatigue? blown thyroid? leaky gut syndrome?" as the reason I was coming in. I see someone above said the adrenals and leaky gut syndrome are connected! Hunh! I am so tired of being completely wiped out by having even a tiny bit of a social life and always feeling overwhelmed and having a reaction to sooo many foods I used to eat all the time without my eyes watering and sinuses itching and face swelling. Interesting to note that this is all women who've posted here. Like many, I was also a vegetarian. Correlation there? And I used to drink tons of caffeine. I have the book on adrenal fatigue, but I'm too tired and overwhelmed to actually read it. By necessity, life is s-l-o-w and minimalist around my house. My co-worker friend has had great success with the protocol that this naturopath put him on, said he felt better practically immediately and lost 20 pounds very quickly, even though he did not heed her dietary recommendations. I will post more once I know more after tomorrow. I'm new to all this, so there's much to learn/digest. I need to re-re-read this whole thread. Thanks, all~
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the appointment tomorrow TigerLily. I received my copy of Dr Wilson's book today and have already read half of it (I'm a speed reader ), but I've been taking his supplements for adrenal fatigue for about 3 weeks now. I am fairly certain that I'm starting to see some improvement, not loads yet, but I'm feeling like I have more energy to get through the day. Mind you, I'm also doing the Whole 30 and I've ditched caffeine (again about 3 weeks ago), so my diet is super-clean. The book is quite amazing and it lists all the things that can contribute to your adrenals becoming fatigued, I was amazed at how many I have experienced over the last 6 or 7 years; the death of a close family member, break-up of a marriage, surgeries, studying for a degree, being a single parent of 3 kids, history of drug dependancy. I was like tick, tick, tick!
    I have my appointment with the holistic doctor I found on the 27th so I still have a while to go, but I'm looking forward to getting things sorted too.

Italapas is offline Junior Member
    My goodness, I'm glad to have happened on this thread! My doctor (ND) has me taking supplements, but I've done very little else to try and kick what's now twelve years of adrenal fatigue. I get so tired it seems like too much effort to do it, which sucks. Especially it sucks with an almost four year old kiddo to wrangle. I'm looking at taking l-tryptophan to help with sleep, as much as possible. The kiddo doesn't sleep well and only wants Mom at night. But that's a whole other issue. Has anyone tried hydrotherapy for adrenals?

Dutchie is offline Member
    So many people here mention VLC. A while ago I've read an article of a guy on paleo who healed his adrenals(pretty quick) by going highcarb,overfeeding for a while,so the adrenals aren't stressed anymore and return back to normal.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    HI, I am dealing with this too I think. I have severe gluten intolerance/ celiac/ leaky gut going on too, and fatigue for the last 7 years. I've been gluten free for 3 years but still am far from back to how I was prior to all this starting, in fact I have gone downhill again lately. I've had many years of stress (seriously ill sibling, marital issues that made every day very tense etc) and then fell pregnant unexpectedly with my 4th child and wham, within 2 weeks I was a wreck. The gluten issue caused a huge amount of adrenalin to be constantly racing round my body, my heart pounded all the time and I couldn't sleep, I actually thought I had developed an anxiety disorder until I stopped gluten and it went away. I also gained a huge amount of weight that just won't come off. The baby is now 6...

I have followed some of the advice from Watson's book and also the Mood Cure. A friend of mine had great success with licorice tea but when I tried it I got hot flushes. Apparently high cortisol can cause hot flushes so I think I am not in the adrenals have packed in stage, but I am pretty sure that they aren't functioning normally.

I have always had unstable blood sugar but that got a lot worse too, off gluten it isn't as bad but is still worse than it was prior to the pregnancy. Low carb is the only thing I've found that helps keep it steady, though I find I feel more tired and low if my carbs are too low so it's a bit of a balancing act. Overfeeding wouldn't work for me, if it did I'd be okay by now .

I had started eating quite a bit of dark choc since I went primal but have cut it out now as I find even a few squares makes my heart pound. I have also developed more food intolerances and allergies, at one point I was struggling to find skin and hair products I could tolerate, but that seems to have eased since I went primal, even though I still eat sugary stuff sometimes, I think taking grains out has really helped.

I also do Iyengar yoga, I go to a class and also try to do at least 3 poses each night before bed, it really helps me sleep. I meditate and try to do some relaxation every day. There's a place near my that does free guided visualisations morning and evening each week day so I try to get there a couple of times a week. I am so used to feeling exhausted and forcing myself to keep going, running on stress hormones. It's a hard habit to break!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had exogenous adrenal failure from years of taking oral and injected steroids. I think I probably had adrenal problems before getting the steroids as well. Crushing fatigue and brain fog were my worst symptoms. These are the things I find helped:

1. Primal diet with LOTS of fat seemed to stabilize my blood sugar issues.
    2. Got my vitamin D levels normalized.
    3. Magnesium was critical. I use the oil before bed - completely restored my sleep quality.
    4. Real salt in water. In the beginning this was very helpful - I don't seem to need it any more.
    5. No coffee or caffeine. Even decaf coffee seemed to be a problem for me.
    6. Going to sleep early. This one can be a challenge, but I really try. I also try to have serveral days a week where I let myself wake naturally with no alarm.
    7. No bright lights before bed. I put that software on my laptop that reduces the blue lights.

There are a couple other things that helped my energy - but I'm not sure they are related to adrenals or not.

1. Really good quality B vitamins with methylated B12. This helped a lot!
    2. Added bone marrow and small amounts of liver to my diet.
    3. Get enough vitamin c. I think ideally this would be done with organ meats - doesn't work for me yet, so I drink just a little orange juice a couple times a week.
    4. I had a problem with serious chronic muscle fatigue - my muscles always felt exhausted. I added in a potassium supplement and that cured it. It is disgusting and I hate it, but I take it every night.

I hope you can get some relief. Until you do, maybe you could check out the site - butyoudontlooksick.com When I read the spoons theory, I cried because it was so true. I actually sent it to my friends and family with a note telling them that this was why I had to give myself permission to say "no" to so many events - it wasn't that I didn't want to be with them - I was out of spoons!!! Part of healing, means resting without guilt.

The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino | But You Dont Look Sick? support for those with invisible illness or chronic illness

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I had exogenous adrenal failure from years of taking oral and injected steroids. I think I probably had adrenal problems before getting the steroids as well. Crushing fatigue and brain fog were my worst symptoms. These are the things I find helped:

1. Primal diet with LOTS of fat seemed to stabilize my blood sugar issues.
    2. Got my vitamin D levels normalized.
    3. Magnesium was critical. I use the oil before bed - completely restored my sleep quality.
    4. Real salt in water. In the beginning this was very helpful - I don't seem to need it any more.
    5. No coffee or caffeine. Even decaf coffee seemed to be a problem for me.
    6. Going to sleep early. This one can be a challenge, but I really try. I also try to have serveral days a week where I let myself wake naturally with no alarm.
    7. No bright lights before bed. I put that software on my laptop that reduces the blue lights.

There are a couple other things that helped my energy - but I'm not sure they are related to adrenals or not.

1. Really good quality B vitamins with methylated B12. This helped a lot!
    2. Added bone marrow and small amounts of liver to my diet.
    3. Get enough vitamin c. I think ideally this would be done with organ meats - doesn't work for me yet, so I drink just a little orange juice a couple times a week.
    4. I had a problem with serious chronic muscle fatigue - my muscles always felt exhausted. I added in a potassium supplement and that cured it. It is disgusting and I hate it, but I take it every night.

I hope you can get some relief. Until you do, maybe you could check out the site - butyoudontlooksick.com When I read the spoons theory, I cried because it was so true. I actually sent it to my friends and family with a note telling them that this was why I had to give myself permission to say "no" to so many events - it wasn't that I didn't want to be with them - I was out of spoons!!! Part of healing, means resting without guilt.

The Spoon Theory written by Christine Miserandino | But You Dont Look Sick? support for those with invisible illness or chronic illness
    What is the software that reduces blue light emissions?
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast