Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Primal Journal - 1-1/2 years into it! page 6

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Woops also I really enjoyed the post about slacklining, and am looking at one for myself!

BZM
    This weekend's Link Love led me to How High Can You Step?, and as the author warns I rambled about the house finding stuff to step up on. My best, no-cheat step was onto a wooden filing cabinet that is 32" high (I'm only 5' 9", so give me a break). Centimeterstoinches.net says that 35 centimeters is 13.78 inches. I guess I shouldn't worry about getting around. Yet.

Walking on a treadmill at my desk seems ... meh. I've been using a DIY standup workstation for a few months now and am quite comfortable doing it. I even look forward to standing at work (my desk at home is still a crappy sit-down affair and I use an old cast-off chair from an old employer). When my officemate is out, I use the time to enjoy my music (on a USB stick) via headphones - physically: I dance around. OK, middle-aged guy with fuzzy headphones on, throwing down moves by himself in a little corner office...weird when I think about it, fun when I'm doing it. Haven't been caught yet!

Two weeks ago I did a Primal camping week while 4-wheeling the Rubicon Trail; now one of my co-Jeepers and his wife have started their Primal journey. This makes me happy; I hope it makes them happy too.

And last weekend (Labor Day) I attended a male-only camping retreat at a private cabin, wherein a bunch of us karate guys get together, eat meat (and other good stuff) and practice karate together. Some of the guys bring their young sons, too. We all pitch in together for the cooking, cleaning, wood-gathering, and other chores. Some of the guys are experienced shooters, so they set up a gun range and the kids (and some of the men too) get high-quality firearm safety training. In the evenings, we have a large fire in a metal-ringed fire pit, swap stories, sing songs, perform rehearsed or ad-lib skits, and in general just cement our relationships. Brought together by our common interest in karate, kept together by our shared values and experiences. Sounds like a Primal tribe to me.

Final note: I've been living Primal for nearly two years now. My health has benefited greatly by the diet and exercise. My attitude has benefited accordingly, and I love all the new rabbit-holes that MDA and its followers lead me down. It's awesome and I share it with anybody who asks me about why I'm so skinny, or how I can "do that at your age", or why I'm putting butter in my coffee.

I don't think there's any going back, barring apocalyptic life changes. I might stop back by here to comment or share something interesting, might not. I'll still read my usual threads and contacts here, since I'm a great lurker. A toast: To your good health!

BZM
    It's been a while since I dropped in to my own journal.

Two days ago I stepped on bathroom scale and OMG I'd gained 10 pounds - almost back to where I'd started this journey. Upon honest self-examination, I found two main factors wrapped in one reason: I'd become complacent.

Secure in the knowledge that "I got this", I 1) relaxed on my diet a bit, and 2) cut back on my exercise. Diet-wise, I allowed commercial eggnog back into my life. I also ate potatoes more frequently - dining out and at home. Regarding exercise, I still do karate, still run with my dogs, but haven't gotten to the gym to LHT and my morning practice/workout sessions suffered due to lack of discipline before I head to work.

I started logging my diet again at cronometer.com. When I input the diet of three days ago, my carb intake was high (over 100g, for me that's high), and my fat intake was at about 120% of the recommendation. (cronometer recommends targets based on my physical parameters and my diet - I choose Paleo). Turns out the whipping cream I put in my coffee on weekends is one culprit, and the flavored creamer I put in the nasty coffee at work doesn't do me any favors.

For the last two days I have stuck to strictly Primal foods. I'm in the midst of a bout with the flu, the mildness of which I'm attributing to my Primal (ok, primal-ish) lifestyle. So my exercise and activity levels are down while I battle.

The good news is I feel better about myself, having exerted some power over my own condition, and I've already lost two pounds.

Now to conquer this flu and get back to Primal exercise!

BZM
    Well, I'm almost over the flu...and my appetite shows it. Rest and lots of water and homemade chicken broth are my best friends.

Weight is down from 158.5 to 153. YAY. The last few days my carb intake has been about 50g/day, and it's been easy.

This morning, in anticipation of a full day with some exercise, I added a second egg to breakfast.

So far so good!

BZM
    I'm down to 151 lbs. Weight loss has tapered off as my appetite grows. However, my energy levels have increased too!

Now I've caught a cough that sounds like bronchitis. Really? Time to buckle down for the fight again. I must be well in three weeks at the latest - karate Special Training is in January, and you simply cannot make a strong Special Training while under the weather, and it's not fair to the other participants to be breathing nasty germs at them.

New signature...I like the sentiments!

--
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. -Voltaire, philosopher and writer (1694-1778)

BZM
    Success! Down to 148 again. It took 3 weeks to lose 10 pounds.

I did indulge I a bit of eggnog, and had some yogurt once. But! I enjoyed bacon-wrapped chicken, pot roast, bleu-cheese hamburgers, omelettes, coffee with whipping cream, salads, and discovered some great new veggie recipes (the biggest struggle for me is getting a wide enough variety of vegetables).

Reading The Primal Blueprint helped, and cronometer.com is of course a great way to stay on track.

Thanks to Mark and his community!

BZM
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Intermittent fasting on BBC:

BBC News - Intermittent fasting: The good things it did to my body

I wonder if they'll tie the results someday to our evolution?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456