Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - 1-1/2 years into it! page 5

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's been a good holiday weekend.

Restwise: 7 hours of sleep per night, plus a couple naps per day if I feel like it. My dogs are great at napping; if there's nothing to do, they watch the world for a while then take a nap. Thursday the 4th I basically did nothing - watch the world go by, then take a nap. Cook and eat something good, then watch the world, then nap. I loved it.

The rest of the weekend, more activity, same napping.

Foodwise: Regular stuff; however, all the berries are in season around here, so I've been stuffing with them. We also got some great cherries this weekend. I made paleo waffles (6 eggs, 2 ripe bananas, 3/4 cup almond butter, 3 T quinoa flour, that's it) and shared them with the GF and dogs (I ate most of them). Tonight I'm grilling a tri-tip, but first I'm pre-cooking it in the solar oven. It should be ready to just sear and serve by dinnertime!

Temperaturewise: Yes, Thursday and Friday were hot. Friday not so hot, and drier than the earlier part of the week. Today (Saturday) has been awesome. High 60s for the low this morning, so the dogs and I had a good run. Afternoon in the mid-90s, low teens in humidity. Karate class was fun, sweaty, hard, as it should be. I'll do my Kavadlo workout as I grill the tri-tip.

Gratitude abounds as I wallow in the blessings.

[Edit]Forgot to mention: I'm all excited - I ordered a sample pack of Choffy![/Edit]
    Last edited by BZM; 07-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

BZM
    The tri-tip came out great. I feared the worst when the fat on the bottom caught fire. I turned the meat over, extinguished the flames, and let it rest. I was hoping the juices would soak back in, and it worked! Yum. Served with steamed asparagus and baked diced sweet potatoes. I overate, to state the obvious.

It's only 67 degrees out this morning (yay) so I'm going to go run the dogs, work on my Jeep a bit, and then do some yardwork in the backyard shade. Digging a couple trenches for sprinklers, then carrying and setting a bunch of retaining wall stones. Plenty primal, workout-wise.

After that I'll be ready for my nap. Not kidding...

BZM
    This caught my eye yesterday:

Americans Exercising More But Still Getting Fatter:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...etting-fatter/

A few thoughts about it...they say that:
    - exercise is just a piece of the equation, like that's news.
    - "sufficient exercise" is defined by a number of minutes per week of a certain level of effort. My problem with this is that they make it sound like exercise is an onerous task, a honeydo that's meant to be crossed off the weekend chore list. If health and nutrition professionals made exercise not such a four-letter word, maybe people would do more of it! And the word "sufficient" builds judgment of one's lifestyle right into the question. As soon as you answer such a question, you've submitted yourself to be judged, not just counted.
    - high calorie diets are partly to blame, as if one calorie is as good as another. I see this still all over, even on MDA where people ask questions about carbs as if one carb is just like another. Getting your carbs from Jolly Ranchers is not the same as getting them from your garden's vegetable cornucopia.

I'm still joyful about finding MDA and the Primal Blueprint:
    - Eating is fun. Diet discipline is easy because none of the junk food is as good as the combination of good food and great vitality.
    - Exercise is fun. Getting "sufficient exercise" is easy because being lazy or tired is harder than the combination of having fun and becoming physically better.
    - Staying healthy (i.e. free from the usual grind of colds and flu) is easy because my body's not always inflamed because it's fighting off the effects of the "food" I eat.

Now instead of falling into the regime of trying to stay viable as long as possible after age 50, I'm dreaming of a motorcycle adventure tour in Argentina and Patagonia. Or mountain-biking The Entertainer on Mt. Shasta. Or...

--
    The day I start worrying about what a vegan thinks of me is the day they push my body out on a flaming Viking boat.
    - One of y'all said this

BZM
    Choffy arrived yesterday! My first cup of La Espanola is brewing now (if I could figure out how to type an inye on my keyboard I would have)...

Well. The packaging recommends brewing in a French press for 5 minutes, so that's what I did.

- The "grounds" soaked up more water than an equivalent amount of coffee did.
    - The color of the liquid is not all that different from a medium roast coffee.
    - The marketing materials warn of a typical cacao bitter taste. They're not wrong. This isn't hot chocolate.
    - I put some heavy whipping cream (my weekend sin) in. As promised, the Choffy smoothed out nicely.

All in all, it's a pleasant drink. I'll withhold a final opinion 'til I've had a chance to sample the IC dark and the Ivory Coast.

They got their $45 from me and at $15 for a bag of grounds the size of which I'd pay $5 or so for if it were coffee...it'll be a treat drink, not a daily drink.

The day I start worrying about what a vegan thinks of me is the day they push my body out on a flaming Viking boat.
    - One of y'all said this
    Last edited by BZM; 07-14-2013 at 05:52 AM.

BZM
    Quote Originally Posted by BZM View Post
    Standup workstation's going great...every morning my boss comes in and asks (rhetorically), "Still standing?"
    I'm still standing at work. I give myself the leeway to sit down, too. I have a fairly slow computer (it takes 8 minutes to boot Windows XP!) but it's stable and has all the tools I need to work efficiently. But while it's, for instance, starting up Excel, I have a few seconds to siddown and relax my back. Sometimes I'll do the Grok squat, too.

But I love the fact I'm not sitting nearly as much as I used to. Also I love the fact that I'm not straining my hip flexors anymore. I used to basically have a groin pull once every two or three weeks, which would make me slow down and walk like I had a prosthetic leg for a few days. Hasn't happened since I started standing at work.

Remember, my workstation cost me $14-ish at Walmart. I got a metal storage rack (near the paint department, behind the vacuum cleaners if you're looking). It was supposed to assemble into a 3-shelf rack, but I just used the two pieces separately. My flat-screen monitor (don't try it with an old CRT!) and keyboard go on one rack, and the second rack straddles my paper in/out organizer and my mouse rests on top. Low-tech, low-cost, high benefit. Win!

Some info links:
    What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Standing Desks? - Forbes (Forbes dot com)
    The Benefits of a Standing Desk
    Stand and Deliver (Reader's Digest, links back to MDA!)
    World's Easiest Way to Be Much Healthier: Stand Up | Inc.com
    One Year at My Standing Desk

My office mate is toying with the idea of going Primal. He's married to a marathoner, has two girls and one more on the way, and he's never been the sporty, outdoors-ish type. However, he sees me eat the good things and eschew the bad things and sees me (17 years his senior) in great health and with great energy, and he wants what I have.

I've pointed him at MDA (told him to read the Success Stories, and to start at the Start Here link), and he's pointed his wife there, but they've yet to start reading. I think once she reads the free ebook download, my buddy's life will change, for the better, quite quickly. I hope it happens soon!
    Last edited by BZM; 07-20-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Fix a link

BZM
    Last night I used the recipe for lemongrass meatballs, and since I didn't have ground pork I used all lamb, and since I didn't have lemongrass or ginger or fish sauce I used some other stuff - soy sauce (horrors), lime juice, and Idontknowwhatall. A friend had donated a couple of meatball-makers to my culinary cause (hoping to enjoy more meatballs when I entertain at dinner, I think). Those things rock! Much better than rollin' them by hand.

I combined the meatballs with some 5 Brothers sauce and homemade pesto, then topped spaghetti squash with the mix. Grilled some veggie kebabs (zucchini, pearl onions, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, brushed with coconut oil and sprinkled with sea salt) to accompany. And yes, had the friend over for dinner so she could enjoy the fruits of her generosity.

Win!

I noticed yesterday at the running of the dogs, my "wind" has suffered during these long hot days. I just don't get all the low-level activity I'm used to when it's 100 degrees by 11am. And sprinting is just too militant sometimes in the morning. I prefer to dash around the field with the dogs in the afternoon. Perhaps it's an effect of my age, but I feel springier in the afternoons, not so much in the mornings. Anyway, I'm starting to feel soft.

A very wise man once told me, "It's easy when it's easy." Meaning, I guess, you can't take credit for doing something when it was easy. Instead, go for the hard stuff.

So, I'll try a bit harder to get in the exercise I really need so I can feel good again.

BZM
    Sprinted last night. I surprised myself - I've gotten faster. I used the treadmill at the club, put it on 3.0 incline, and sprinted at 10.0, as fast as it would let me go.

Today my appetite is through the roof. Yeah, I'm a step slow today, but sprints. Are. Good.

- MDA's very own Mr. Anthony

BZM
    This week I had houseguests, a nice family of three. Mom and dad are in their 30's, 14-year-old daughter. It was fun feeding them as much paleo-style stuff as I could while keeping them satisfied. Still, over four days we accumulated 3 boxes of snacks - pretzel thingies, Whales (whatever they are), Cheez-its.

They had Mexican fast food for lunch one day (I was at work) and yesterday had deli sandwiches (while I had ribs from the deli's barbecue outside).

The mom was interested in my diet because I'm in pretty good shape, my energy levels far outstripped theirs and I obviously didn't watch portion size that much . I pointed her at MDA and explained the simplicity of the concepts, while making sure I mentioned that it's based on science and research. I hope they can kick the SAD and enjoy the joy.

Last night I made paleo waffles (the simple banana and egg kind), topped with butter, whipped cream, Greek yogurt, raspberries, and blueberries. Also bought some organic bacon at yesterday's deli, which was really the bomb. Best bacon ever. Really. OMG. The dinner went over very well - even the picky 14-yo enjoyed herself.

Win!

BZM
    The Friday success story (Marie's - sorry, Randy, you're doing fine, congratulations, but...) today was particularly moving. OK, like tough to handle moving.

Marie's resilience and inner strength are amazing. When we are injured or sick and are struggling through it, we rarely see the strength in ourselves. But recounting the facts, especially backed by the pictures (!), the strength she shows in retrospective only hint at how tough a person can be.

Through the fire and out the other side, better and stronger.

BZM
    I went on a 4wd trip last week, on the world-famous Rubicon Trail, which goes from Loon Lake (near Placerville, CA) to Tahoe City-ish. Mind you, this is a "car camping trip", not a backpacking trip. But I'm happy to be able to say I went Primal the whole way.

First: play. This whole trip is about play. Work or family or school or whatever doesn't matter when you're out negotiating large rocky obstacles with a car. Since I was a passenger on this trip (the previous 4 trips I've done here I drove my own Jeep truck), I spent most of it climbing into and out of the lifted Land Cruiser. I probably did 50 exits and entries per day (3 days on the trail). I also did lots of running up and down the trail to take pictures and videos, and to help other drivers through obstacles ("spotting").

Even when we broke stuff (2 drive shafts, axle spring hangers, electrical wiring for fans, throttle cables...) the repairing was fun. Since you're on a trail, perhaps 2 days from rescue or spare parts, repairing is necessary, or you just have to leave the rig where it failed while you run for parts. That adds a Primal aspect.

Second: nature. Sure, we're in internal combustion-powered vehicles that rumble and grind their way along a trail. But the trail is a designated off-road vehicle trail, maintained by the counties through which it runs, and policed rather militantly by the people who use the trail. You pack out what you pack in (EVERYTHING, get my drift), leave only tracks and take only pictures. Camp within 50' of the trail, no fires, at least 100' from any water. We want the wilderness to stay unsullied so we can go there again.

We camped in the open, under the stars. A bit risky, considering the thunder showers that rumbled through each afternoon, but we survived. There was plenty of time for quiet reflection, which we all took advantage of.

Third: food. Yum. Knowing that fires are not permitted (but camp stoves are), I pre-cooked steaks and bacon, then froze them. I also got some sliced meat at the butcher's for lunch, and froze that. I made a giant Primal smoothie, and froze it. Water was the beverage of choice, so I froze some of that, too. So breakfasts consisted of boiled eggs, cold bacon, coffee with whipping cream, and some smoothie. Lunches were primal sandwiches with meat, sharp cheddar, butter, and the best mustard I can find. Dinner was a salad the first night (with chopped antipasto meats mixed in), the last two nights I ate steak and mixed dippable veggies and dark chocolate to finish.

I managed to stay true to the eating style, and may have caused a couple of my companions to consider Primal eating (when they were eating hot dogs and I was having steak, and when they were having Danishes for breakfast and I was enjoying bacon and eggs). As the next-to-oldest person there, and obviously the fittest (thanks Mark), I think the example hit home.

Summary: good company, good eats, and a primal attitude resulted in epic fun.

(Once I get some pictures sorted out, I'll try to post them here...check back in the next day or so!)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast