Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - 1-1/2 years into it! page 4

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Haven't been active here for a little while. I do check in but have been having to exercise discipline - I found that too much of my weekday mornings was spent here, which was cutting into my morning workout time. You interesting people causeth me to become sedentary!

I leave Wednesday for Special Training. I'm going to bring coconut oil and almond butter, along with the electrolyte and salt tablets and lots of water. I think I can get all the rest at the regular meals.

I'm finding it hard, viscerally, not doing hours of cardio work in preparation for this. Deep down I worry that I won't have the endurance I need because I've only done the PB Fitness routines. But I have to give this an honest chance.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

BZM

Random Primal joys

Off we go for another Sunday fueled by bulletproof coffee.

Yesterday's recipe led me to another recipe for espresso-laden pork belly, which led me to Choffy. Gonna have to try that!

It's funny. Throughout my life I claimed to be allergic to chocolate. Yes, I'm in my early 50's and should have been over it, but every time I ate something with chocolate, like chocolate-chip cookies, I would break out with acne.

Then after starting Primal, I tried some dark chocolate (my fav, 85%), will no ill effects. None. So was it the sugar? Dunno. But Choffy sounds like heaven in the morning, with some butter and whipping cream thrown in.

Some other random Primal-related musings:
    - I love the freedom to break into movement-related exercise - squats, chinups or pullups on a tree or the porch beam, a few burpees, jump over the garden fence (just 3' high) 10 times, go throw the pipe, dash around the field with the dogs, sprint on my mountain bike with a dog, etc. - and it all counts! Freedom from the gym! Yay!
    - Now I'm going to have to start looking into more difficult bodyweight exercises, just for the fun. Parkour at age 52? Maybe. As long as I don't get injured and have to stop training in karate.
    - Ever notice how, after eating something not Primal (like, as close as you can get but not quite, at a restaurant), your stomach feels a bit queasy? I keep a bottle of "digestive enzymes" from the health food store handy. One tablet and I can move on with my life.
    - Darkening the bedroom, which includes turning off the display on the clock radio, helps me sleep better, but I can't tell what time it is if I wake up during the night. Ah, well, I'll figure something out.
    - At 20 minutes at a time a few times during the day, my suntan is beautiful, best in years. Freedom from sun-fear! Yay!

BZM
    Had a good Primal day yesterday. Scrambled some shredded sweet potato with chorizo from the butcher shop, which fueled my 5x5x5 workout from alkavadlo.com. I did the intermediate workout, 5 circuits. I never had tried pistol squats before and was surprised that I can do them. I followed that up with a run in the local recreation area - up in the hills, single-track, I was alone except for my dogs and a single mountain-biker. Came home and grilled up some steaks and had a salad from the garden.

Win.

BZM
    We're screwed now: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...diabetes-risk/

BZM
    Off to Special Training this morning. Will be back, God willin', on Monday.

Last night's dinner was grilled coulotte steak, big-a** salad, baked sweet potato, coconut milk.
    This morning's breakfast was coffee with half-and-half, one Paleo waffle, 2 poached eggs, some raspberries, butter, and a couple dabs of plain Greek yogurt.

Saying woebegone good-bye to my usual Primal fare, will try to keep it up during the week. I'll post anything interesting during the week since I now have the technology to do so.

BZM
    Well, we're here. I stayed fairly primal during travel. Lunch at Subway, water, salt tablets. Burger at Applebee's.

Wake-up is 4:45am, first practice starts at 5:15. W00t!

BZM
    So far so good. Our first practice is over. A 1-mile run followed by basic techniques for about 2 hours. A nurse among us estimates it's about a 2000 calorie burner.

Before practice I had a chocolate-flavored UCAN sports drink (16oz water) and one bottle water. 1 tablet electrolytes. A few nuts and cacao nibs.

Snacks/water after practice: 16oz water, some more nuts and nibs, one Honey Patty. 1 tbsp CO and AB.

Breakfast 8:30. Scrambled eggs, bacon (4 slices), diced fried potatoes. Yogurt with 7 grapes. 12 oz whole milk, 2 cups coffee (with milk from the 12 oz). One of the cups of coffee had 1/2 pat butter in it. Followed by 12oz Powerade/water/club soda mix.

We rest, no practice until 2:45 this afternoon. Lunch is from 11:30-12:30. I hope there are salad greens! I miss my veggies!

Last edited by BZM; 06-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.

BZM
    Well, yesterday was tough but not as hard as I remember previous events. I could only eat a small spinach salad at lunch, augmented by tomato and a slice of turkey, and some water/powerade mix. Afternoon practice took 2 hours, in full sun (but with a delicious breeze). Estimated 2500 calories burnt. A cool thing about karate practice is that in some situations (such as this) you are to imagine a real opponent, and you practice your best of each technique with the intent of eliminating your opponent's threat. They told us to visualize defending our families. It's fairly easy to get a real rush of fight-or-flight stress hormones when doing that.

I had an ok dinner, there was some nondescript whitefish which I couldn't choke down, but there were a few other things, salad greens and such, that I used to make a small dinner.

We had one more practice, but not a hard one (more of a class) at 7:30, lasting an hour and a half. Had a small snack of my trail mix and water afterward.

This morning wakeup was at 4:45 and we trotted onto the field of battle at 5:15. After some more running and warmups, it was time for the main event. We do a mental practice (and physical) called kibadachi practice. Kibadachi is "horse stance" - Youtube it - and we make it for 1-1/2 hours straight. You have to face your weak baby self to make yourself do it. You can't let the wimpy part of you get the upper hand - and in a group everyone manages to do it.

Breakfast was hash browns, sausage patty, bacon/egg/cheese burrito (I removed the tortilla). Coffee, more powerade/club soda mix.

Nap! Lunch is at 12:00, next practice (1000 kicks) at 2:45.

BZM
    Well, I kind of stopped journaling, primarily because things just got really busy. Also, it was becoming apparent that the diet and exercise regimen I adhered to prior to Special Training worked. I ate well the whole time and had really good practices. In previous years I went home sore and VERY tired; this year I was able to practice harder and there was very little soreness and I wasn't so tired.

To me, this is final validation of the ancestral eating and exercising style. I'm sticking with it.

BZM
    I've been enjoying Al Kavadlo's intermediate-level 5x5 workout. I up the quantity of pull-ups and headstand pushups to 10, but I'm still working on my favorite new exercise, pistol squats. I've been able to do up to 7 in a row but it's a groaner. I love the challenge!

Some notes:
    - It's hot when your coconut oil is clear liquid in the cabinet. We topped at 116 yesterday. To save a pittance of energy, we keep the house at 80.
    - I thought I would try the honey-and-cinnamon thing to try to alleviate the arthritis in my hip. So far, 4 days into it and the pain is nearly gone. Not a scientific study by any stretch, but it's working for me.
    - If you have to buy inexpensive meat, I am finding chuck-eye steaks an excellent cut that has yet to jump in price.

Question: What would Grok do when faced with a 115-degree day? Kick the 'gators out of the river, of course.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast