I'm finally starting a journal here...decided I had something to say.

I started Primal Blueprint in November 2011 at the ripe old age of 51. I've always been active (and skinny), having swum (swam? swimmed?) competitively from age 12 'til midway through college, then mostly martial arts since then. All through college I never topped 145 pounds. I mountain bike, run some with my dogs, lift weights, and train fairly seriously in Shotokan Karate of America, a traditional Japanese style.

Leading up to the PB, I'd basically accepted that I would be gaining a "spare tire" as I aged, since other men I'd considered my seniors all said there would be nothing I could do to avoid it. However, I still fought against the idea of calling myself Pauncho (not Pancho), and continued to do weekly cardio sessions as well as my karate workouts.

I also started seeking out whole grain cereals, stopped drinking milk and went instead with soymilk, basically cut out eggs from my diet, and ate mostly lean chicken and pork for my protein.

Despite this, I still noticed that when I was driving and my Jeep hit a bump, my middle jiggled. Although nobody but me could have ever noticed it, I was embarrassed. I was building my own private muffin-top! Ack.

Summer 2011 I never went shirtless, even when the temperature soared over 100 degrees F. Too embarrassed. At that point I was a huge (for me) 163 pounds.

Somewhere in there, after my birthday in the fall of 2011, I watched the Big Fat Lie video on YouTube (can't remember how I found it), and saw a link there somewhere to MDA. I hit the web site, clicked the Start Here link, read some stuff, signed up and downloaded the PB ebooks and cookbooks. I think the whole process took me about 1/2 hour, from discovery to commitment!

First: Mark said "no legumes." Sweet! I'd always hated beans. The texture stimulates my gag reflex every time. Peanuts and peanut butter make me break out in acne, even at the half-century mark.

Second: Mark said "no grains." My own experiences with whole grains left me wondering. Irregular bowels (sorry) and other ... ah ... GI issues told me PB would be good for me.

Third: Mark said "no cardio." Yay! Doing the stairmaster or treadmill or crosstrainer just left me screaming inside my head.

Another tipping point for me was discovering that dietary fat does not necessarily turn into body fat, and that dietary cholesterol does not necessarily translate into blood serum cholesterol.

Two and a half months later, I was down to 147 pounds. Yes, 16 pounds lost by January 2012, even through the Christmas season. I was so stoked by the "program" that I had no trouble saying "No" to treats.

Since then I've maintained the weight at 147, plus or minus a couple pounds. I think my body is happy here...

Nowadays, for breakfast I usually have a couple poached eggs in a bowl with a tablespoon of coconut oil, and sometimes add a couple sausage links, piece of chicken or steak if some's available, and/or maybe some berries, Greek yogurt and coconut milk.

I drink coffee at work with half-and-half I bring from home.

Lunch is leftovers (pref.) or maybe banana with almond butter (my local store has a grinder), or perhaps canned fish with cheese.

Dinner is meat of some kind (beef, pork, poultry, fish) and veggies. I love huge salads with lots of interesting stuff in. Coconut milk is awesome. Occasionally I'll have a beer. 85% dark chocolate is the usual bedtime treat.

Workouts: I play with my dogs twice a day. We run, I throw the ball for the Border Collie, ride my bike with the Jack Russell. I do karate practices three times a week, and practice myself at home 5 days a week. Sundays I lift at the gym (abs, squats, pull-ups, chin-ups, and military press are my mainstays). Every day I do bodyweight exercises. My favorite are chin-ups on the porch beams, but pushups and squats are useful and fun. I recently found a 30-lb chunk of steel pipe, so I throw that around the back yard, in between tennis ball throws for the dog.

I also started with a standup workstation at work. Everybody thinks I'm crazy, but one week into it I'm still going strong.

Oh yes, I haven't had a cold or other illness since November 2011. I don't think it's a coincidence.

All my adult life I wondered if there was some kind of switch I could throw, or find some weird thing about me to fix, so that I'd have lots of energy, stay healthy, and "have my way" with the young bucks in the dojo. I think I found the switch; I wish I'd found it 30 or more years ago, and there's no way I'm going back to the old SAD and CW.

I reserve the right to revise this long-winded post at any time. Anybody else can feel free to chime in as they wish.

See you tomorrow!