Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Plea For Help - Desperate, Confused, and Giving Up page

Maria is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Last Plea For Help - Desperate, Confused, and Giving Up

Primal Fuel
    Dear All,

I'm writing this as a final plea to the communities I follow for direction.

The long and short of it: I'm 22 years old, 180 pounds, 5'4, and I've struggled all my life with my weight. I know many men, or even some women, won't understand why that even though my journey with Paleo/Keto/Whole food eating changes have changed my life and health as measured by my blood tests, I have not lost much weight, and this matters greatly to me.

I have tried everything, for many years, from high fat/low carb/low protein to moderate fat/low carb/moderate protein, to even low fat and vegan and vegetarian diets in my younger years - all of which were unsuccessful. I have counted calories, I have exercised daily, weekly, have done hiit, weight lifting, body by science training - everything (obviously separately and for appropriate test lengths). I have tried all these things for months at a time, and some years at a time.

I want to stress that I am not lazy, not unwilling to try anything, or am without motivation to stick with things and be uncomfortable. I am not uninformed either - I have religiously read up and studied everyone from Mark Sisson to Dave Asprey to Lyle McDonald to Sally Fallon to Martin Berkhan and many, many more. I understand the science, and have counselled people who have implemented a fraction of what I have done and have seen results. I do not eat fucking donuts, I do not sit on my ass, I do not ask questions that I have not already at length researched myself.

My relationships and life are very impacted by my weight, and I am at a point in my life where I am beyond frustrated and finished with being overweight. If this means that I need to venture into unhealthy means to lose weight (ie. not eating) I will do so. This is my final ask for direction, and if nothing works I will be taking drastic actions.

Some background information: I am mixed race (Native American and Eastern European), I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I have had chronically high triglycerides and cholesterol counts, my GP has said my blood tests all appear normal. I accumulate fat around my midsection. I have insomnia. I have suffered from depression and anxiety. On my Native American side most of the family is obese, though none of them really have tried to lose weight or are passionate about their health. On my Eastern European side most of my family is of normal weight, but have a history of cancers and heart disease. All of my immediate family on the exact same diet have lost weight, improved their blood panels, and have gained muscle.

Please, please help.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Start by clicking the button on the menu bar that says "Start Here". Read, read, read.

Although what you desperately want to do as quickly as possible is to lose weight, what you need is to begin to heal yourself before you start imposing any restrictions. Begin to eat properly according to the protocol without doing anything intended to be a weight loss diet. Start walking. Long slow walks are a great healthy pastime. Many people find that over the first few months of learning to listen to their hunger and choose the right foods they begin to lose weight slowly but effortlessly.

Good luck.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Start by clicking the button on the menu bar that says "Start Here". Read, read, read.

Although what you desperately want to do as quickly as possible is to lose weight, what you need is to begin to heal yourself before you start imposing any restrictions. Begin to eat properly according to the protocol without doing anything intended to be a weight loss diet. Start walking. Long slow walks are a great healthy pastime. Many people find that over the first few months of learning to listen to their hunger and choose the right foods they begin to lose weight slowly but effortlessly.

Good luck.
    Did you actually read her post?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Did you actually read her post?
    I sure did.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So you have done various things. For how long with each? What are your current activities physically? Why do you think you suffer insomnia and what have you done to rectify that in terms of lifestyle? Whats your current day to day diet?

Family history is only relevant in terms of how adaptable your family is to neolithic lifestyle factors and their ease of producing diseases of civilization in your family. You seem to be fairly vulnerable, so might require a rather strict protocol. Thats just an observation.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-11-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Glenview is offline Member
    Maria, for more background: have you examined leaky gut healing? Have you been tested for Hashimoto's?

You mentioned several ways of eating, but are you just desperate for weight loss, or do you want victory over your health? I used to be focused on losing weight, but I needed to change my perspective to seeking to heal my body. I haven't completely done that, but I'm having some progress while losing some weight. I expect it to take quite a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I sure did.
    "I am not uninformed either - I have religiously read up and studied everyone from Mark Sisson to Dave Asprey to Lyle McDonald to Sally Fallon to Martin Berkhan and many, many more. I understand the science, and have counselled people who have implemented a fraction of what I have done and have seen results. I do not eat fucking donuts, I do not sit on my ass, I do not ask questions that I have not already at length researched myself."

Aka: I'm not a moron and have "read, read, read".

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I second the recommendation for walks. My reasoning is a little different, though. Stress is a great neutralizer of otherwise working protocols. You are clearly stressed about this, and truly, relaxing and taking a longer view may be a key to unlock things for you. A daily walk in fresh air can help heal the stress. Relax and breathe deeply of fresh air. Mark calls it forest bathing - for me, it's fresh air and sunshine. Heal the stress and then the rest may well follow.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid and hormones checked? Issues there can cause even your best attempts at weight loss to be futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So you have done various things. For how long with each? What are your current activities physically? Why do you think you suffer insomnia and what have you done to rectify that in terms of lifestyle? Whats your current day to day diet?

Family history is only relevant in terms of how adaptable your family is to neolithic lifestyle factors and their ease of producing diseases of civilization in your family. You seem to be fairly vulnerable, so might require a rather strict protocol. Thats just an observation.
    For how long each: I usually do a 8 week - 12 week test period. Generally speaking my fitness improves by my own measurements, and fat loss occurs occasionally but minimally, and then levels out. From my pre-exercise pre-paleo days (18 years old an younger) I'm about 10-15 pounds lighter, somewhat more muscled, but not much fat loss.

Current activities: Walking 6kms per day, heavy weight lifting 3x per week.

How I know I suffer insomnia: When laying down for sleep if I do not have medication I will lay there for the entire night. I have bought hypnosis and relaxation tapes, have tried baths, and have purchased aromatherapy machines, light machines, sound machines, etc. The only way I can sleep is if I am extremely sleep deprived for many days or if I take sleep aids I was prescribed.

Current day to day diet: Breakfast of eggs, bacon, and "fat bread" (a la Free the Animal) and coffee with cream, lunch of some sort of meat and vegetables, dinner of some sort of meat and vegetables. If one meal of meat is leaner I will have a fattier other meal, but generally speaking I aim for 50-70% fat calories for the day. Occasionally I will have a half an apple as a treat for dessert after dinner (1x a week). I stop eating when I am full and do not feel hungry between meals.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast