Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Last Plea For Help - Desperate, Confused, and Giving Up page 3

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    I have done some research on intermittant fasting and have tried it before with little success. I thought there was some controversy on IF for women?
    I just know it worked (and I did it with SAD, so I lost my weight doing ADF and also eating fast food, bad carbs etc). Most of the people on low carb friends are women, who have had success with it. And you have to give it at least a month-it doesn't follow the 'normal' diet pattern but instead is a series of bounces and whooshes, in a downward trend. So, you compare your beginning of month weight, to your end of month weight to see the results on the scale. Last October I was at 171 lbs. Started adf and hit goal of 135 in beginning of March (while taking time off the plan for the holidays). Transitioned into maintenance and Dr. Mosley's 5:2 plan, which is a more laid back version of adf. Lost a bit more and then decided to start eating primal along with the 5:2 IF, and I'm now down to 124lbs and trying to figure out how to stop losing weight now lol. At least read the books and see if it's something that might interest you
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-11-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    *~Sara~*

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Continue paleo/primal. Eat more fatty fish. See an endocrinologist. Consider Metformin. Use blue light blocking glasses at night. Lift heavy 2-3x/ week. Some form of IF- the up day/ down day seems to work well for women. Get a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    Dear All,

I'm writing this as a final plea to the communities I follow for direction.

The long and short of it: I'm 22 years old, 180 pounds, 5'4, and I've struggled all my life with my weight. I know many men, or even some women, won't understand why that even though my journey with Paleo/Keto/Whole food eating changes have changed my life and health as measured by my blood tests, I have not lost much weight, and this matters greatly to me.

I have tried everything, for many years, from high fat/low carb/low protein to moderate fat/low carb/moderate protein, to even low fat and vegan and vegetarian diets in my younger years - all of which were unsuccessful. I have counted calories, I have exercised daily, weekly, have done hiit, weight lifting, body by science training - everything (obviously separately and for appropriate test lengths). I have tried all these things for months at a time, and some years at a time.

I want to stress that I am not lazy, not unwilling to try anything, or am without motivation to stick with things and be uncomfortable. I am not uninformed either - I have religiously read up and studied everyone from Mark Sisson to Dave Asprey to Lyle McDonald to Sally Fallon to Martin Berkhan and many, many more. I understand the science, and have counselled people who have implemented a fraction of what I have done and have seen results. I do not eat fucking donuts, I do not sit on my ass, I do not ask questions that I have not already at length researched myself.

My relationships and life are very impacted by my weight, and I am at a point in my life where I am beyond frustrated and finished with being overweight. If this means that I need to venture into unhealthy means to lose weight (ie. not eating) I will do so. This is my final ask for direction, and if nothing works I will be taking drastic actions.

Some background information: I am mixed race (Native American and Eastern European), I have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I have had chronically high triglycerides and cholesterol counts, my GP has said my blood tests all appear normal. I accumulate fat around my midsection. I have insomnia. I have suffered from depression and anxiety. On my Native American side most of the family is obese, though none of them really have tried to lose weight or are passionate about their health. On my Eastern European side most of my family is of normal weight, but have a history of cancers and heart disease. All of my immediate family on the exact same diet have lost weight, improved their blood panels, and have gained muscle.

Please, please help.

kristiperry is offline Junior Member
    I understand how you're feeling and what you're going through. For me, I experienced regular steady weight loss (to the tune of 90 lbs) until I had the Mirena IUD inserted in 2009. Between 2009 and Feb 2013 I gained 50 lbs back regardless of the fact that I had joined the Army, doubled my fitness regimen, and continued along the good path of eating I was previously on. I had my IUD removed and replaced with a non-hormonal one in February and I've since lost 12 lbs simply doing the things that made me successful before I had the hormonal IUD inserted. I don't know what birth control you may be using, but for me, hormonal therapy completely halted any progress and made it IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight NO MATTER WHAT I DID. Thoughts?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, getting advice from a forum is going to be hit or miss.

Your hormonal imbalance is likely the culprit.

Step one, get your D3 level tested and sun/supplement to a blood level of 60-80 ng/ml. This will take some time if you are low, but it will help your sleep and the weight loss.

I'd recommend you work with a Primal-friendly nutrition coach or a naturopath. Mark has a listing somewhere on his blog.

I do Primal nutrition coaching and if you wish to have a chat, I can get you pointed in the right direction. Pm me and we can set up a free initial consult. More info on my website. The link is below.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    This seems like a duh thing to say but you gotta get your sleep sorted out. Dragonfly may be onto something and getting your D levels right may do the trick. Whatever it is I'm fairly confident that if you can fix that everything will begin to fall into place for you. Did you know insulin resistance occurs from just one day of sleep deprivation? Not to mention all the other hormonal effects and neurochemical detriment that comes with it. I can't say that I know what that missing thing is for certain but magnesium and Vitamin D are the go to first offenders though. Melatonin and 5-HTP are other reported supplements that help, but I don't have a personal experience with using either.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    This seems like a duh thing to say but you gotta get your sleep sorted out. Dragonfly may be onto something and getting your D levels right may do the trick. Whatever it is I'm fairly confident that if you can fix that everything will begin to fall into place for you. Did you know insulin resistance occurs from just one day of sleep deprivation? Not to mention all the other hormonal effects and neurochemical detriment that comes with it. I can't say that I know what that missing thing is for certain but magnesium and Vitamin D are the go to first offenders though. Melatonin and 5-HTP are other reported supplements that help, but I don't have a personal experience with using either.
    Yup, sleep is key. Here's an article about sleep and Vitamin D:
    Vitamin D Hormone

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Yup, sleep is key. Here's an article about sleep and Vitamin D:
    Vitamin D Hormone
    Yup. I have seen so many otherwise "perfect" diet/fitness plans fall apart because of this. Stress and sleep are the place to start.

Sasifrass is offline Junior Member
    As someone who also suffers with pcos, and the nasty symptoms that go along with it I will relay what is currently working for me. Take it with a little salt, as every person is unique and it may or may not work for you. I went fully primal in january and lost 18 pounds, then nothing. So I started with intermittent fasting which I found to be difficult, and then went to alternate day fasting via primal JUDDD. There is a great thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d81577-85.html that I follow daily, though I do not post. I started alternating days in march and have lost an additional 17 pounds for a total of 35lb. As someone with pcos I am incredibly pleased with this and feel lucky to lose anything at all. I do not loose anything if I have carb heavy days and try to keep it under 50g. It is very, very slow but steady. As far as the sleep is concerned, I too used to stare at the ceiling most of the night and would suffer with leg cramps when I finally did fall asleep out of sheer exaustion. Magnesium has taken care of the sleep and the cramping. Who knew one simple deficency could cause so many issues. I sleep well and haven't had a cramp in months, only if I forget to take it.

Don't give up, you just have to find what works for your body.
    There are lots of relevant posts here on the forums, if you use the search engine.
    Also helpful is Paleo For Women

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Honestly, getting advice from a forum is going to be hit or miss.

Your hormonal imbalance is likely the culprit.

Step one, get your D3 level tested and sun/supplement to a blood level of 60-80 ng/ml. This will take some time if you are low, but it will help your sleep and the weight loss.

I'd recommend you work with a Primal-friendly nutrition coach or a naturopath. Mark has a listing somewhere on his blog.

I do Primal nutrition coaching and if you wish to have a chat, I can get you pointed in the right direction. Pm me and we can set up a free initial consult. More info on my website. The link is below.
    Good idea on getting D level checked. However, I'm deficient (21) and I did still lose my extra weight doing adf. Addressing a deficiency is definitley a good idea, but being deficient may not affect weight loss efforts? Just my own personal experience.
    *~Sara~*

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Aside from sleep, hormones, deficiencies, and IF options, I recommend doing things for a longer period of time than just 2-3 months.

It might take years for some protocols to work -- my husband is still working on gut issues nearly 3 years in (he doesn't have weight issues, but other issues that brought us to primal).

If this situation is hormonal/metabolic, it's going to take more than a 3 month trial to determine if things are working. In fact, over 3 months, things might get *much worse* before getting better after that -- which my husband experienced in some of the steps of his protocol. It's often how healing works -- and weight loss too.

Also, if I were you, I would reframe my own goals. At the same age, I was overweight, and instead of focusing on "losing weight" i focused on "being really healthy." I created measures for that, which had nothing to do with clothing sizes or weight or what have you, and then started to act toward those measures.

In the process, I *did* loose weight. but, I've kept that weight off because I was working on being healthy, which is what I still do. I still work on being healthy. And as such, my health is good, I maintain a healthy weight, etc.

Seriously, sometimes changing your goal is the way to go.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast