Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I'm watching my father kill himself as we speak... page 6

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When it comes to diet...

Some people are change-seekers. They actively seek out new food experiences based on feelings and enjoyment. They think about how foods make them feel and take that into consideration when making choices.

Some people are change-avoiders. They continue to eat the foods of their childhood, or gradually let them go and replace some due to availability and cultural considerations like advertising and convenience. If their doctor gives them a diet and lifestyle plan that is very different, they may ignore it or pick one or two superficial changes to make, carefully avoiding making real changes. Hey, there's always drugs and surgery, right?

Some people are dietary change-seekers based on theoretical criteria. They read lots of articles with titles like "10 superfoods you need to eat" and "7 reasons you need to eat more fiber NOW". They may consume diets based entirely on CW. They choose their foods for supposed medicinal value. And because it is all theoretical and based on authority, there is never any n=1 to test.

That last one's my Mom.
    I was the last one there for many years. I think now, however, I am without a doubt the first category. Learning to be primal has taught me to be more in tune with my body.

My father is unabashedly the second type however. Maybe even WITHOUT even the "superficial" changes. His ONLY excuse for clinging to grains is the advice of his doctor, which even then, was sort of wavering on it it felt like to me. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    you know the old saying "we all go to hell our own way" sadly its kind of true. 3 months ago i simply couldn't have imagined how different I would feel for just removing grain and the related processed carbs. 4 months ago when my husband introduced me to wheat belly it made sense but I couldn't envision what to eat instead.
    Now I'm really back to eating almost what I ate as a kid. I have eggs or egg and bacon for breakfast without the bread and have mushrooms instead. I have meat and 3 veg for dinner without potato. for lunch I have a bread less sandwich ,the current favourite being egg,cress and mayonnaise wrapped in ham. my evening snacks are cherries, berries or a peach. My blood sugar remains in the 8s rather than 15-17 and this week i am even getting the odd 7,( I've had to stop my Sitagliptin as it started pushing me under 4 then I was getting a hypo rebound of around 10.)
    Yet if someone had told me this information I cant honestly say I would have fully believed them. I remain shocked at how deeply the low fat, whole grain, no read meat etc dietary information is entrenched in my brain despite the ever increasing information to the contrary.
    I had a full blood sequence done on Friday and will get the results on the 16th when I see my oncologist to determine if the cancer continues to grow or not and I will be interested to see the results particularly my HbA1c and cholesterol.
    If I ate now as I ate as a child, I'd be pre diabetic as a minimum. My family (both sides) eat SAD to the max (except one or two who eat majorly "healthy" whole grain CW, almost Ornish shiz).

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Drumroll, when I was a kid we lived with my great grandmother (who was a kid when queen Victoria was alive and remembered her death), my grandmother and grandfather. My mom and dad both worked full time so my grands cooked. They still cooked and ate as they did during the 2nd world war when food was heavily rationed in the UK and sugar was a real treat. My granddad grew vegetables and fruit and we had 2 apple and 1 pear tree. The only rice we ate was in rice pudding and we never had foreign rubbish! (pasta). We did eat bread; they baked it each day and we ate potatoes. We ate salad in the summer and oatmeal in the winter. The oatmeal was the old fashioned kind that needed soaking and simmering- not this quick cook stuff we have now which makes my blood sugar rocket. We ate fruit when it was in season, We never ate margarine; it was always butter. The eggs were our own, free range foragers. They were always white from White Leghorn chickens
    Looking back it was pretty damn healthy. All the veggies were organic. We ate all bits of the meat . I started this life so well yet ended up so wrong. Bit by bit over the years we changed to get healthier! I would've been better following the families values.

Rick Rube is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I had the talk with him about ditching the grains and he was like, "if that worked for you, great, but it'd never work for me because my doctor told me that would be unadvisable. And I trust my doc more than you."

Let's hear it for doctors not qualified to advise on nutrition!
    your dad sounds like a jerk. I wouldn't care that much about him if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rube View Post
    your dad sounds like a jerk. I wouldn't care that much about him if I were you.
    It's hard not to care about your family though. And he was talking about trusting the doc on nutritional matters over me, since I have no formal medical or nutritional education. I can see his point, even if it is a bit of a logical fallacy to assume that all doctors are expets in nutrition. That's partly due to our society's image that doctors just know everything.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It's hard not to care about your family though. And he was talking about trusting the doc on nutritional matters over me, since I have no formal medical or nutritional education. I can see his point, even if it is a bit of a logical fallacy to assume that all doctors are expets in nutrition. That's partly due to our society's image that doctors just know everything.
    That's like my mom. She loves me, and I even have a sneaking suspicion that I'm her favorite kid
    But she's got a guy with a degree and years of practice telling her one thing, and a daughter that works for a utility company and has an associates degree in liberal arts telling her the opposite. Which one do you think she's going to believe?

Can't say I blame her, but on the other hand, her previous doctor is dead and I'm still alive. Her new doctor thinks more like I do, though we still disagree on some things.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    But she's got a guy with a degree and years of practice telling her one thing, and a daughter that works for a utility company and has an associates degree in liberal arts telling her the opposite. Which one do you think she's going to believe?
    This gets to the heart of the issue of him not trusting me I think.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My dad seems to have the early signs of Alzheimer's. I'm not even going to bring up this diet. I'll bet he finds his own way to at least a ketogenic diet if not a full-blown paleo diet. I wonder if his girlfriend will allow him to follow it, though. I love my dad but really it's all none of my business. I'd rather save him from his politics but I know how useless that is.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456