Thread: issue cooking with coconut/almond flour page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

issue cooking with coconut/almond flour

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Im having a really weird issue in the kitchen...
    when I bake anything with almond flour or coconut flour longer then 20 minutes I notice there is a layer or dark
    at the bottom of lets say... a muffin. It's an off dark color, I thought maybe the pan was leaching into the muffin (because its only at the bottom of the muffin!) and I switched the pan and it happened again!! Although, when I first saw this I was like, "Oh it's rancid" but after buying bags of new almond flour and new coconut flour and it kept happening, I though it MUST be something different... I do use Xyltiol, but I cook with it all the time and have never seen anything like that before! If I bake all of this under 20 minutes like cookies I see no effect... only past 20 minutes. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? it's freaking me out!!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Are you using recipes intended for almond or coconut flour? I think they brown more quickly. Perhaps your oven is a bit on the hot side. Try turning it down.

northern_runner is offline Junior Member
    I tried baking with coconut flour for the first time last week and noticed the same thing you did. The recipe only called for coconut flour, coconut oil, eggs, honey and baking soda. I never figured out what caused it to turn black, just figured it was some "chemical reaction"....

spngebobmyhero is offline Junior Member
    This happens to me sometimes. Try turning the oven down by 25 degrees and see if it helps. Is your pan dark metal? That will also cause baked goods to brown faster. Recipes adapted from wheat flour recipes are going to react differently than an actual Paleo/primal baking recipe so some trial and error is normal.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Coconut and almond flours darken more and faster than wheat flour does. Bake your stuff at a lower temp for longer, put your oven rack in the middle of the oven rather than near the bottom, and put the muffin tin on a cookie sheet when it goes in the oven...these should all help a bit. Happy baking!

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    no no no... this isn't burnt almond flour or coconut flour... this is like inside of the muffins not the bottom.. like if you cut a muffin in half its the inside bottom half is darker then the top half... its not burnt. hmmmmmm arg I dunno... I think it's a reaction... it's not brownblack burnt its' like grey-ish darker tinted flour... does that make sense?? >_< haha

Glenview is offline Member
    I wonder if it's the xylitol? Did you change brands?