Thread: Long time Lurker says hello + bonus story this is very long (sorry!!) page

Mazbomb is offline Junior Member

Long time Lurker says hello + bonus story this is very long (sorry!!)

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys,
    So I'll start with the basics:
    Your location: I live in bustling metropolis that is Coventry, in the UK. But I am South African (with European complexion) ;-)

How Primal are you: I've only just started, I'll go with 70% so far, aiming for 90%.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but only in tea.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea, with honey and milk (this is something I'd like to eliminate).

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to be free from worry, about weight, about diet and health. I want to be able to live my life free of fear of weight gain and ill health.

Favorite exercise: Running/ Free Style Kettlebells

Favorite Primal food: Boiled eggs with butter

Best part about being Primal: Feeling good, no bloat, feeling in control.
    Worst part about being Primal: Cost

Okay, I'll try to keep this short but it's going to be hard!!
    My story kinda starts when I moved to the UK. I had always been a very active, lean little kid. Growing up in South Africa, I had a great outdoor lifestyle with meat being the main focus of most meals.
    I was a late bloomer, I stayed little and skinny while all may friends were getting curvy and feminine. And I loved it. I never wanted to grow into a "woman". When I was fifteen myself and my family moved to the UK because of my dad's job. This massive lifestyle shift coincided with my body deciding to switch my hormones on.
    In the first 6 months of living in the UK I gained about 10 kgs ( 22 lbs?), became a hermit who sat in the house and ate biscuits.
    I made no friends and hated my new home with unrelenting passion (no offence Brits!!). After a year in the UK I started running to try and lose weight. Somehow I got hooked and it became the thing that saved me from a depression I wasn't even aware of. My desire to lose weight became unhealthy after I had been running about a year, and I had a distorted body image, not realising that I was already lean ( I also developed amenorrhea) . I created a diet which consisted of bran flakes and oatmeal. I ate this way for about a year and a half. During this time I maintained my fairly light weight, but I developed anemia and could never quite lose the annoying bits of fat scattered in random places on my body.

Despite my severely nutrient deficient diet, my running actually improved in great strides. I won my age category in pretty much any race I entered and my times dropped. I became more ambitious and in 2011 I trained really, really hard for my races. Spreading myself way thin, and eating my stupid oat diet. In early 2012 I won the county title in a cross country race and was elated. But my training regime, nutrient poor diet caught up with me, and a bout of plantar fasciitis which had been plaguing me for a few months was so severe that I had reduce my training and no longer race. This ended up being a 7 month frustrating ordeal of depression, weight gain and extreme confusion.
    For somebody who hid behind running for confidence, my whole identity was destroyed. I didn't know how to eat like a regular person, and the weight came on quick and fast. I felt too depressed to crosstrain and would cry myself to sleep most nights. During my injury I also tried many stupid diets, Dukan (but not eating enough, so I would often binge) fruitarianism (can't believe I was that stupid) and mostly calorie restricting. I did not lose any weight, and in fact continued gaining.
    Fast forward to the end of 2012 and I discovered myfitnesspal and took charge of my diet by forcing myself to eat three square meals of a carb, fat and protein. I had a habit of skipping meals and then binging later. I knew this had to stop.
    At the end of December I discovered MDA while searching high protein/fat diets (my Physiotherapist had been going on about the merits of a high fat/protein diet, he's an immensely talented runner). I thought I'd shut him up by trying it out. When I read through the forums of MDA I knew he was right. Something just clicked. I took awhile before actually starting to eliminate grains and cereals (my achilles heel). I bought Primal Blueprint two weeks ago when I officially "started".
    I'm back running minimally now, but I still have some injury related issues. I do freestyle kettlebell training 3-4 times a week and it's changing my body composition. Primal, coupled with kettlebells seems to be helping my journey to my old weight. I can clean and press a 44lb kettlebell and I've only been training since February. Just these last two weeks on primal, eating tons of meat, veg and butter have made me feel so good, I know this is right for me.

Sorry this was such a long entry, I don't really know how to introduce myself without launching into my history of trials and tribulations.
    For those of you that read the whole thing, thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting involved here and becoming a stronger and healthier runner, with a little less stress and chronic cardio this time round :-)

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Mazbomb, from the (almost) sunny West Country. Congratulations on turning yourself around. I just spent my morning singing the praises of paleo to my father's dentist. I can't help it, once someone asks I just can't stop talking. Glad you felt you could share your story with us.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    This is a lot like my story. I developed amenorrhea which is still there despite gaining the weight. Maybe I still overtrain? I've only been doing primal for a short time now and not 100 percent but I feel so much better and in my right mins without anxiety and depression about food and my body image. Hope everything goes well for you!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

became a hermit who sat in the house and ate biscuits.

Tea, biscuits, misery? You're a perfect Brit!

(Sorry. Great intro, hope PB works for you, I'm sure it will)

Also, thank you to your country for the joy that is biltong!

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post

Tea, biscuits, misery? You're a perfect Brit!
    Bwahahahahaha!

Welcome, Mazbomb.