Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steak and Eggs: Cavemanjoe-Style! page 2

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It'll be a shock to the system as I've not eaten more than 100g of carbs in a good while now. Gonna be fun!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I've been more or less ketogenic for many months in order to reach my weight goal and "cure" some growing insulin resistance due to too many shit carbs from grains, sugar binging, etc. Now, I am doing IF and decided that with spring and summer coming, it would be a real shame to continue ketosis. However, I don't plan on changing my diet by much, just add a few tubers and bananas here and there. I started this cycling a while back and I can see great improvements in the body composition (IF + moderate carb on a fat and protein diet). I also don't care too much about veggies these days, I tend to eat less of them and increased wild rice and sweet potatoes. I have not regained any weight at all and I cannot say that carbs make me feel sleepy during the day because my one daily meal is in the evening anyway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I add no fat on my carb day. It gives me more room for fruits and vegetables..

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I add no fat on my carb day. It gives me more room for fruits and vegetables..
    I do. I just decrease the fat by some and add some starchy stuff (I avoid fructose as much as I can though). I don't count on these higher carb days, I don't care too much and I go back to lower carb for the next 5-6 days more or less. I have been monitoring my weight and body comp (crude monitoring though) and I see no change apart from more muscle definition from increased HIIT. To be honest, I am not really constant as I have very active weeks, and others not so. I feel super healthy like this and most of all, I don't stress

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    I do. I just decrease the fat by some and add some starchy stuff (I avoid fructose as much as I can though). I don't count on these higher carb days, I don't care too much and I go back to lower carb for the next 5-6 days more or less. I have been monitoring my weight and body comp (crude monitoring though) and I see no change apart from more muscle definition from increased HIIT. To be honest, I am not really constant as I have very active weeks, and others not so. I feel super healthy like this and most of all, I don't stress
    I do count on my carb days. I want to make sure I don't go over my maintenance level for calories, first because my primary goal is to lose fat, and second because I did that once on a carb refeed and felt horrible for days. I eat fish or seafood that day to reach my protein goal because it is low fat and I miss it. So I end up eating as much or almost as much vegetables and fruit as I would in a week if I'd eaten some every day.

Carb day takes a lot of work the way I do it, but look at all the food I get to eat. If I was just eating rice and sweet potatoes I'd be bored. And by that point I need a break from the steak.

I'm doing the steak-and-eggs intake strictly during the week, so I don't have lower carb days, I do zero carbs (except for what's in the egg yolks).

Works for me. I'm losing a couple of pounds a week and feeling great. Well, I need to restrain myself on the exercise. I'm pushing myself a bit too hard and need more recovery. Too much energy I guess.

Works for me. I'm losing a couple of pounds a week and feeling great. Well, I need to restrain myself on the exercise. I'm pushing myself a bit too hard and need more recovery. Too much energy I guess.
    I considered doing steak and eggs for a while but my second half does not agree. I am the main family cook and I don't want to impose that on her and the kids (still too young)
    This said, to me, one of the greatest thing is the absence of chronic stress (physical and psychological, especially about food) and the greater emphasis in moving for fun. I also put some emphasis on animal nutritious foods but it could get boring, I agree, so veggies and now starchy stuff are in. It may evolve into something else (maybe the Kitavan WOE who knows ? ) as long as we feel healthy and cool

My boyfriend will only occasionally eat a steak. If I feed him more meat to help him build muscle when he exercises (he wants this), he ends up compensating by eating several meals of tortilla chips and salsa. He's not dedicated to it, which keeps him from making progress toward his goals.

I cook enough extra of several different kinds of cooked meat, vegetables, and some soup, with a rice cooker full of rice, so if he doesn't want steak, he can just open the refrigerator and load his plate up with something else.

I understand but you know, I spend time in the kitchen after a long day's work and cook for 4 usually so I cannot exactly be providing for different diets. When my kids are older and can cook for themselves (I will teach them as early as possible and not care too much about it!), I will probably try this WOE, sounds like I can survive on that no sweat for some time

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    I enjoyed that conversation!

I was thinking of 80g carbs from rice, then a medium sweet potato and just the usual veg I'd normally eat. Lean fish and left over pork roast.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend will only occasionally eat a steak. If I feed him more meat to help him build muscle when he exercises (he wants this), he ends up compensating by eating several meals of tortilla chips and salsa.
    You've mentioned this before and I have to admit I know how he feels. I have several foods that absolutely cannot be in the house: the first of which is peanut butter. But tortilla chips would be in the top three, to be sure. I could eat a bag of tortilla chips in one sitting and ask for seconds. And I have before. I simply cannot have them in the house.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast