Thread: for all you lifter out there... page

goinggrok is offline Senior Member

for all you lifter out there...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Two part question...
    If I was to lift using moderate weights with more reps...what kind of results will I get/see in time?

If I was to lift using higher weights with less reps...what will the end results be in comparison to the above question?

Thanks.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You train for the results you want. If you do lots of reps at low weight, that's what you get good at. If you do higher weights, you get stronger.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    LOL at the designation of "non-functional hypertrophy"..... there is no such thing. Muscle is muscle and if it gets larger its automatically functional.

But I thing the "benefits" category is fine as a basic breakdown.

Fact is there is a reason people periodize training and your going to have to change up your rep ranges once in a while to continue to progress.

Most studies indicate that the most important aspect of training is intensity and there was little difference in the short term between lower and higher rep ranges as long as the intensity was high.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think there is such a thing as non-functional hypertrophy. I like to watch Survivor and I think it was last season, not this one, there was this guy with a lot of huge muscles but oddly he was not able to pull his own body out of the water on to a platform and failed miserably at most physical challenges. I thought it was the oddest thing I ever saw but then somebody told me that you can puff up your muscles and have them be less strong than someone who specifically works on strength. The latter might have smaller muscles to show for his efforts, but be much stronger.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Going close to failure on only 30 % of 1 RM was shown more effective than close to failure on 85 % of 1RM for hypertrophy in a scientific study, so its a lot of factors involved obviously. Also depending on how people are doing the exercise. Are you locking out on top when squatting as most people does, or fatiguing by keeping more tension on the muscles without resting on top? There are so many parameters in play into strength training...

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    So called "non-functional hyperthrophy" is exessive glycogen, minerals and water supercompensated in the muscle, and it is functional due to stength endurance work. It gives the muscles a more aestetic and rounder appearance, they are beach muscles...