Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news and bad news page

Good news and bad news

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The good news: I finally feel ready to kick sugar. I've loved it my whole life and been a borderline addict for around 2 years now (including binging behavior). For the first time EVER, I've stopped craving it.

The bad news: Instead of my body wanting sugar, it wants fats -- not only the staples like eggs and steak, but the calorie-dense ones like cream and macadamias. Any time I cut out the cream or macadamias (I'm good about avoiding other nuts -- haven't had any in months) I don't feel satisfied and the sugar cravings return.

I see this as both a huge step and a puzzling dilemma. I'm good about counting out servings so that my calories (and macros) still stay in a good spot -- I'll have a few tablespoons of cream or a precisely measured number of macs. But people on the forums seem to bash anything that's not grass fed steak (there are arguments about PUFAs in chicken and pork, carbs in sweet potatoes, trace milk solids in butter... high-fat versus moderate-carb... etc) and I don't want to be fooling myself by thinking I'm being primal if I'm not.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    The good news: I finally feel ready to kick sugar. I've loved it my whole life and been a borderline addict for around 2 years now (including binging behavior). For the first time EVER, I've stopped craving it.

The bad news: Instead of my body wanting sugar, it wants fats -- not only the staples like eggs and steak, but the calorie-dense ones like cream and macadamias. Any time I cut out the cream or macadamias (I'm good about avoiding other nuts -- haven't had any in months) I don't feel satisfied and the sugar cravings return.

I see this as both a huge step and a puzzling dilemma. I'm good about counting out servings so that my calories (and macros) still stay in a good spot -- I'll have a few tablespoons of cream or a precisely measured number of macs. But people on the forums seem to bash anything that's not grass fed steak (there are arguments about PUFAs in chicken and pork, carbs in sweet potatoes, trace milk solids in butter... high-fat versus moderate-carb... etc) and I don't want to be fooling myself by thinking I'm being primal if I'm not.
    Not sure I understand. If it's just a craving thing, and the foods are Primal approved... buddy, go for it. I consider myself Primal and get most of my fats from chocolate (seriously) with at least 100g a day, depending on the size(s) of the bar.

IMHO Primal is subjective to opinion and preference. Some do better (ie, enjoy themselves and thrive off) fattier meats and less carbs, others enjoy tons of carbs and little/leaner meat, while people such as you and I enjoy things like chocolate or nuts. There is no perfect Primal way of eating. Just do what you enjoy and let others do the same.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    that's why you ignore 95% of the diet advice on the forum, eat your nuts and cream and be happy
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Not sure I understand. If it's just a craving thing, and the foods are Primal approved... buddy, go for it. I consider myself Primal and get most of my fats from chocolate (seriously) with at least 100g a day, depending on the size(s) of the bar.

IMHO Primal is subjective to opinion and preference. Some do better (ie, enjoy themselves and thrive off) fattier meats and less carbs, others enjoy tons of carbs and little/leaner meat, while people such as you and I enjoy things like chocolate or nuts. There is no perfect Primal way of eating. Just do what you enjoy and let others do the same.
    I tend to agree with you. A lot of people are drawn to primal eating because they love things like steak, bacon... those are things they restricted on their CW diets and when they hear those things are healthy, they're as happy as can be. I wasn't like that.

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy steak and bacon. But I haven't had either in about a month, and I'm not longing for them. I'm like you -- a few tablespoons of macadamia butter in the morning will keep me satisfied for hours, moreso than a dozen eggs. I enjoy nuts, I enjoy cream... so I'll eat them. There's no magic here -- it's all food. Eat what you like, keep a handle on what quantity makes sense, and you're all set.

SusanH. is offline Junior Member
    IMO cream and macadamias are way better than sugar. Enjoy them. I've found for me that I've gradually eased back on some of those foods because I just don't need as many as I did when I first started.

It's just difficult to keep my head straight when seemingly EVERYTHING is problematic. They say cut the carbs... not a lot of starch, not a ton of fruit... careful with nuts... consider cutting the dairy... that leaves very little to play around with when I'm not in the mood for meat.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    stop reading the forum for diet advice

seriously

close your eyes and walk away
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    There's no magic here -- it's all food. Eat what you like, keep a handle on what quantity makes sense, and you're all set.
    Great advice

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    It's just difficult to keep my head straight when seemingly EVERYTHING is problematic. They say cut the carbs... not a lot of starch, not a ton of fruit... careful with nuts... consider cutting the dairy... that leaves very little to play around with when I'm not in the mood for meat.
    go to archevore.com and read the recommendations. Follow them and be done

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nuts got me through my sugar withdrawals. I gave myself a full month where, anytime I craved sweets, I let myself gorge on nuts instead. It fixed me! I gained a few pounds, but lost it and more thereafter - because the cravings were gone. So, hit 'em! Eat to satiety! For awhile, until your body figures it out...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast