Thread: How long did you follow PB before seeing a change in your bloodwork? page

kandis is offline Junior Member

Smile How long did you follow PB before seeing a change in your bloodwork?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i have been struggling in the last year to stick with PB-- for the usual reasons. I'm back on now and am due to visit my cardiologist some time this year and was just looking for a general idea (the more people who feel like sharing, the better!) how long it took other people to see positive changes to their cholesterol and triglyceride numbers.

Thanks in advance!

SeattleSlim is offline Member
    I'm curious about this as well. I have a high-deductible policy and labs can be very expensive, so I want to wait to follow up with lipid numbers if it usually takes a while to see a difference. Six months, do you think?
    Starting weight: 195.8
    Weight at end of 21-day challenge: ???

Goal: To free myself of food obsessions and maintain a healthy weight without DIEeting

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    SeattleSlim our local pharmacy does cholesterol tests several times a year and it's very affordable. It may not be very in depth but it gives you an idea where your numbers are.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Depends:
    Will you be loosing body fat (are over weight and intend to loose weight)?
    No (weight is normal): Wait 3 to 4 months (eating primal) then test
    Yes (overweight): wait until weight drop stops and the Wait 3 to 4 months (eating primal) then test.

So it could be 3 months or a year depending on how much body fat you have to loose.
    In the mean time walk daily.

Since you have a cardiologist then your condition may require special/extra monitoring.

For me it's not a problem and just check it once a year.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSlim View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I have a high-deductible policy and labs can be very expensive, so I want to wait to follow up with lipid numbers if it usually takes a while to see a difference. Six months, do you think?
    The fact is that your numbers are barely related to your actual health, if at all. There is no hurry on that.

kandis is offline Junior Member
    My cardiologist is just for a benign murmur, but when you have one (even harmless), cardiologists always like to keep in touch! I do have fat to shed, which is the primary concern, I'd just rather have good progress on the bloodwork than a backslide. Thanks for the input so far-- I'll be checking in with my cardio around October most likely, one way or another, just wanted to be able to look forward to better numbers!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    A year almost totally grain free I lost maybe 1% body fat, maybe 2, from 23% to 21%. I also restricted PUFAs (polyunsaturated fats). Get the grains and bad fats out and you will lose a tiny bit of weight.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandis View Post
    just wanted to be able to look forward to better numbers!
    "better numbers" (better health?)

Better health (short and long term) : may in fact mean a higher total cholesterol for you.
    Better numbers : your doctor may think lower numbers are better - just because it's the markers they look for.

Then what do you do?
    Go with the better numbers, or better health?