Thread: 50% of calories from fat ok? And am i getting enough protein page

hamsauce is offline Junior Member

50% of calories from fat ok? And am i getting enough protein

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm just finishing up my first week primal and so far i love it. I know most people apparently suffer from "the carb flu" and lack of energy being low carb the first few days....but i've honestly had great energy every day.

Long story short, i used to be very slim, 5'5 and fluctuated between 115-120 (with a decent amount of lean muscle. i lifted weights but i also did way too much cardio so i could never put on a lot of muscle). Because i did so much cardio i suffered a hip/knee injury, and couldn't do ANYTHING for 6 months. During those 6 months i gained 20lbs and became very depressed from lack of exercise...even when my injury was healed i was too deep in my depression to even want to work out anymore. 6 months turned into a year and 20lbs turned into 40ish. I had ballooned up to 160. Starting december 2012 i got back into working out and eating healthy, and dropped 20lbs. I'm at 140-142 right now, but only have 95lbs of lean body mass (i got a DEXA scan).

My goal is to lose that remaining 20 lbs while maintaining my muscle mass and maybe even putting some on. I lift weights regularly (heavy weights none of that 2lb pink dumbbell crap) and have definitely put on muscle since december, because i can feel it under my fluff and even see the definition when i flex. Eating primal my macros for the past week have been 20-35g of carbs (i wanted to keep it very low carb the first 1-2 weeks), 120-130g protein (usually closer to 120-125...130 would be a high day) and 75-80g+ of fat. (percentage wise it's been breaking down to less than 20% carbs, a little over 50% fat and 30-33% protein).

I've sort of had it engraved in my brain "1g of protein per pound of body weight!" blah blah blah but then other people tell me "no its only 1g per pound of LEAN body weight". I basically just want to know if ~120g of protein a day is enough for my activity level, since its well above 1g/lean body weight, but way less than my actual body weight.

As far as exercise nowadays goes, i've definitely cut back on the chronic cardio. I'll only run (and MAX will be 45 min) 2..MAYBE 3.. times a week, one HIIT session a week and any other cardio i do is just walking. I also lift weights vigorously 3-4 times a week.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    50% calories from fat is just fine. Don't forget it has twice the calories per gram as the other macros. The protein is fine, too, unless you are feeling like it's too much. I eat more protein than I should and I feel a lot better doing so. You probably don't have to run at all. Take a nice brisk walk instead. It's much better for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

hamsauce is offline Junior Member
    I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys super long runs 8) but I know it's not the best thing for you to do frequently, which is why I usually only do it 2x a week. I can run 1.5 hours non stop no problem and enjoy it...but I limit myself to max 45 min. I also do walks though well I have been since reading marks posts about slow movement for several hours a week

SeattleSlim is offline Member
    Mark's posts here say .7 to 1 gram of protein per lean body weight ... not sure how one figures that out without official testing. I'm trying to figure out the right ratio myself, as I'm just finishing my first week too. I think listening to my body will be key rather than choosing arbitrary percentages.
    Starting weight: 195.8
    Weight at end of 21-day challenge: ???

Goal: To free myself of food obsessions and maintain a healthy weight without DIEeting

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    Where you are is good. Depending on your exercise level, you could increase carbs slightly, since your protein is getting a little high, as you can only digest 35% protein. But as far as fat is concerned, your good.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsauce View Post
    I've sort of had it engraved in my brain "1g of protein per pound of body weight!" blah blah blah but then other people tell me "no its only 1g per pound of LEAN body weight". I basically just want to know if ~120g of protein a day is enough for my activity level, since its well above 1g/lean body weight, but way less than my actual body weight.
    120 g is fine. Hell, you'd be okay with 100g.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    You're consuming about 1400 cal - the rest coming from body fat.
    The amount of protein sounds ok.
    The running sounds too much

As you come close to ideal weight you will have to increase food intact.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Cycle calories so your metabolism doesn't adjust to chronic lower calories. The easiest way to do this is do eat more (maintenance calories)on days you lift heavy things. Eat higher carbs on higher calorie days to replenish muscle glycogen for the next workout.

Obviously percentages are going to be all over the place. Which as others have said are arbitrary anyway. They are what they are because of math not magic.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

NotJustPaleo is offline Junior Member
    I think you're doing fine!! I suggest zero "running cardio" except for one session of sprints a week and walking at least 20 minutes every other day.

Listen to your body and pay attention to cravings!! The carb and sugar cravings are the worst, but look for the protein and meat cravings. Ever have a hard day in the gym working legs and crave a nice piece of steak afterwards? That type of listening. Keep it up.

Also if you're "intensely training" 3-4 times a week as well as an HIIT session and running, you're gonna need more carbs. You will have great results for now, but eventually you're going to burn yourself out.

Pay attention to your recovery time. I have a feeling with 25g carbs you will be sore a lot longer than you should. Just guessing here. A BCAA supplement intra-workout might help.
    Last edited by NotJustPaleo; 05-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Writer at NotJustPaleo.com and Host of the Not Just Paleo Podcast
    Employee at Onnit Labs.
    Click here to sign up with Onnit to sell Coconut Oil, BP Coffee, etc and
    help support your own website, blog and personal venture. PM if you need help.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member