Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shirataki noodles--are they primal?

Hybrid View

shirataki noodles--are they primal?

Not the tofu kind, but the regular kind made with some kind of yam. I know it's processed food, but is it horribly bad or okay occasionally?

It's practically pure tuber starch. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's practically pure tuber starch. Go for it.
    Nope, it's the fiber, not the starch. Which means it may cause bloating and indigestion for some. But as long as it's not the tofu variety, it's effectively zero carbs and not a horrible option either.

Dear Mark: Apple Cider Vinegar, DNA Damage, Lactaid, and Miracle Noodles | Mark's Daily Apple

See the last bit on miracle noodles.

It's probably harmless. When I lived in Japan bricks of konjac would show up everywhere.

I use shredded zucchini myself, it seems better at absorbing sauce.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I use shredded zucchini myself, it seems better at absorbing sauce.
    Mmm.... best money I ever spent (and it wasn't much anyway) was for a spiralizer. Zucchini noodles are SO good heated in a pan and covered in butter and Parmesan.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Mmm.... best money I ever spent (and it wasn't much anyway) was for a spiralizer. Zucchini noodles are SO good heated in a pan and covered in butter and Parmesan.
    I've been thinking about getting one of those spiral thingies!! I may just have to go for it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    I've been thinking about getting one of those spiral thingies!! I may just have to go for it. :-)
    This is the one I have, and I've really been happy with it. It's got a few different blades, and has held up so far. Not bad for 26 bucks.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    This is the one I have, and I've really been happy with it. It's got a few different blades, and has held up so far. Not bad for 26 bucks.
    Does anyone know where I can pick one of these up in a store? I don't really want to order one ha. Also, $35 seems like a bummer of an investment for something I may not like a lot.

I recently tried spaghetti squash and was unimpressed. I ate it, but I tried it with a homemade cheese sauce and it was only OK. I think spaghetti sauce might need a richer sauce, such as alfredo, or even butter/parmesean.

How do you guys make them (the shirataki noodles) taste good? I've bought them twice and ended up throwing them out both times because they're so rubbery. Maybe the ones I used were tofu though, I don't remember (this was pre-primal)

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    How do you guys make them (the shirataki noodles) taste good? I've bought them twice and ended up throwing them out both times because they're so rubbery. Maybe the ones I used were tofu though, I don't remember (this was pre-primal)
    They are naturally rubbery and have a flavor that seems to go best with Japanese food. People who try to substitute them for regular noodles usually don't like them.