Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shirataki noodles--are they primal? page

diene is offline Senior Member

shirataki noodles--are they primal?

Primal Fuel
    Not the tofu kind, but the regular kind made with some kind of yam. I know it's processed food, but is it horribly bad or okay occasionally?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's practically pure tuber starch. Go for it.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    It's probably harmless. When I lived in Japan bricks of konjac would show up everywhere.

I use shredded zucchini myself, it seems better at absorbing sauce.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I use shredded zucchini myself, it seems better at absorbing sauce.
    Mmm.... best money I ever spent (and it wasn't much anyway) was for a spiralizer. Zucchini noodles are SO good heated in a pan and covered in butter and Parmesan.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    How do you guys make them (the shirataki noodles) taste good? I've bought them twice and ended up throwing them out both times because they're so rubbery. Maybe the ones I used were tofu though, I don't remember (this was pre-primal)

Paleobird Guest
    Konjac root shiritake noodles are OK, but, as pointed out are just about pure dietary fiber. I found them to have a digestive plugging up effect.

I prefer seaweed noodles. The Sea Tangle brand is the one I use.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    How do you guys make them (the shirataki noodles) taste good? I've bought them twice and ended up throwing them out both times because they're so rubbery. Maybe the ones I used were tofu though, I don't remember (this was pre-primal)
    They are naturally rubbery and have a flavor that seems to go best with Japanese food. People who try to substitute them for regular noodles usually don't like them.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I was making spiral zucchini sautéed in butter for months as a side dish before I ever tried it as a pasta substitute. I was sure it would be a pathetic disappointment. Then one day I was combining leftovers from different meals and put some marinara and meatballs over some spiral zucchini. I have to say I liked it *more* than pasta. The texture was like al dente, but better. Subsequently, I tried steamed spiral zucchini without the butter sauté and the texture was not as good. I'm going to try it with an Alfredo sauce next.

I have also done a mixture of spiral carrot and zucchini with Asian meatballs and that was also delish. DH likes the carrot, DD the zucchini, I like them both. They are beautiful together.

I've been looking for shirataki noodles, but haven't had much luck. At this point, I think I don't care.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Mmm.... best money I ever spent (and it wasn't much anyway) was for a spiralizer. Zucchini noodles are SO good heated in a pan and covered in butter and Parmesan.
    I've been thinking about getting one of those spiral thingies!! I may just have to go for it. :-)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    I've been thinking about getting one of those spiral thingies!! I may just have to go for it. :-)
    This is the one I have, and I've really been happy with it. It's got a few different blades, and has held up so far. Not bad for 26 bucks.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast