Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Making Many Gains, Options? page

Chorlton is offline Senior Member

Question Not Making Many Gains, Options?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

My goal is to become as healthy as I can possibly be. Im 42, somewhere around 70kg and carrying a little extra fat around the middle.

I've been lifting heavy for a couple of months and seem to have reached my max weights. Roughly the same as when I was lifting a couple of years back:

• Press: 30kg (3x5)
    • Chest Press: 40kg (3x5)
    • Deadlift: 70kg x 5
    • I dont currently do heavy squats as I dont have a rack (got one on order though!)

I seem to have stopped making gains. This is not necessarily a bad thing (or is it?) but I dont know what to do now?

Do I keep doing this stuff at the weights I can lift and increase reps until i can add a little more weight? Do I start eating a ton? (remember, my goal is not size, it's health) or do i stop lifting and do bodyweight stuff for a while? Or work on other big exercises like chin-ups, one arm rows, lunges etc for a while?

Some expert advise would be really appreciated.

Many thanks,

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    What program are you following? Perhaps take a look at a program with a slower increase?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    If your goal is health just lifting at an intensity that is "hard" for you is enough to keep you metabolically fit and to stress your various systems in a manner that will generally promote health.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You need a different program. It's clear you've gone as far as you can go with this one, since it seems you've maxed it out twice at this level. Are you male?

Hi Katherine, thanks for answering. Yes I'm male.

Thanks Neckhammer, Teach, Im not really doing a program as such. Just deads, cpress, press and light squats and chin-ups
    Last edited by Chorlton; 05-10-2013 at 01:32 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You're ready for a program. I bench more than you do.

I bench more than you do.
    Well done.

Yeah, that's not a very high bench weight (I'm a 30yo female). Check out Starting Strength or a similar program to help you push the limit. You don't have to eat like he suggests. But following a program should help you to build more strength. You should at least be able to get your bench over 100lbs I would think.

Thanks Teach. Yes, my build is quite small. I have some potential health issues going on that I can't really diagnose so I wonder if I am still "healing" after being paleo since last august. It certainly seems I should be able to bench more. I eat really well at the moment (eggs, bacon, steak, veggies) but am only lifting 1 day on, 2 days off so I have plenty of recovery time. Maybe it's time to try less recovery time...?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Thanks Teach. Yes, my build is quite small. I have some potential health issues going on that I can't really diagnose so I wonder if I am still "healing" after being paleo since last august. It certainly seems I should be able to bench more. I eat really well at the moment (eggs, bacon, steak, veggies) but am only lifting 1 day on, 2 days off so I have plenty of recovery time. Maybe it's time to try less recovery time...?
    I would suggest more recovery time in fact. Or perhaps you aren't eating enough carbs ? Are you doing full body each of those days? I would seriously look into some programs that off you a set schedule. SS has you rotate through 2 sets of exercises 2-3 days a week. Other programs have you pick 1 main lift each day and lift 4 days a week. You can pick what suits your schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast