Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Making Many Gains, Options? page 2

Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    full body?

I can lift every day if I want to. Im just not sure I could handle it I have SS, so could pick up the program but I prefer to do just one lift in a workout. Else I find I do poorly on the final lifts... I know that Jason Sieb who I like to listen to as well as many others advocate 3 days a week max.. what do you think?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    If you want to pick 1 lift at a time, I would look into Wendler's 5-3-1. You're not worried about how fast you make gains and he only has you adding weight once a month. You would need to lift 4 days a week to get in all the lifts, but you would have a week's recovery time in between each one.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Full body is the stuff you are doing. The squats and pulls and presses.

Give the Wendler's a try. There's an online calculator out there that shows how the program can be done in various ways, different amounts of days per week and different amounts of reps each week.
    blackironbeast.com - 5/3/1 Calculator

Also, it might be worth your while to read Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe. He explains the stress/recovery process. The basic gist is that the recovery period is really important. If you don't have enough recovery you can't get stronger and if you have too much recovery you can't get stronger. You have to have the right amount. Sometimes once a week on an individual life is the right amounts. Sometimes it can be too much (heavy deadlifts) and other times too little. And it doesn't seem to correspond to how you feel the day you are lifting.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The only question that hasn't really been asked is how exactly have you decided that you've stopped making gains? I guarantee that I could add 1kg to all of your lifts and you'd hit the same numbers - that's a gain. Linear progression is about making small incremental changes to the loading and I don't think you need to worry about anything else until you get that right.

Hi Coach.

I mean that I have trouble doing 5-5-5 when I add the minimum I can to my bench (1.5kg) I end up doing 5-4-4 then 5-5-4, etc. which considering it's not very heavy to start with and I am not a veteran lifter seems a very tiny gain indeed.

Re Wendler - his approach seems very interesting. I've started reading his ebook so thanks for the recommendations!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can get smaller weights, or you can take an extra session, or you can do fewer reps while you keep increasing the weight.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Hi Coach.

I mean that I have trouble doing 5-5-5 when I add the minimum I can to my bench (1.5kg) I end up doing 5-4-4 then 5-5-4, etc. which considering it's not very heavy to start with and I am not a veteran lifter seems a very tiny gain indeed.

Re Wendler - his approach seems very interesting. I've started reading his ebook so thanks for the recommendations!
    That's absolutely fine - you're not always going to hit the reps, as long as you're working towards it.

Thanks Coach,

I did 3x4sets @ 40kg today --BUT I realise i have not been including the weight of the bar so really it is 5x4sets @ 47kg!

I realise this is not much but Im going to claim it nevertheless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12