Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Higher Carb Primal foods? page

mom23kids is offline Senior Member

Higher Carb Primal foods?

Primal Fuel
    I'm supposed to be in maintenance, but since starting the primal transition a few weeks ago, I've started losing weight again. Today I'm at my lowest weight ever as an adult, which is several pounds below the point where I feel comfortable at. I'm 34 yrs old, female, 5ft, 6in and weigh 124.5lbs (having lost another pound this week). I'd really like to maintain and not lose any more weight. But, I'm not quite sure how to do this-primal eating seems to be low carb by default and I have no idea how to get to the 100-150 carbs a day for maintenance, that Mark recommends. I hate tracking my food, since that makes me feel like I'm on a diet, but I think I need to track my carbs, at least for now, to stop the weight loss.

So, I'd love some primal friendly, higher carb food ideas

An example of what I'm eating right now:
    (yesterday's menu)

broke fast at 11am: banana egg pancakes-1 large banana with two medium eggs, pinch of cinnamon and vanilla extract, with 2 tbsp butter and pinch of pink Himalayan salt. 1 beef sausage with mustard drizzled on top.

2ish: salad with lettuce, diced green bell pepper, mushrooms, diced tomato, black olives, hard boiled egg, 1/2 slice cheddar cheese and three strips of bacon. With regular ranch dressing. Finished up with one square Lindt 85% dark chocolate and a handful of almonds

5pm: 2 large mushrooms, drizzled in a tsp of evoo, filled with 1/4 cup pork sausage and diced onion, and topped with 1/2 slice of cheddar cheese.

Water to drink, with two cans of diet soda (working my way down from 6+ cans a day)

After eating this, I was down .5lbs this morning for another new low.

Suggestions?

eta: I'm walking around 10 miles a week and doing Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program three times a week/30 minutes a time. I don't know how this is affecting my weight (I didn't exercise at all while I was actively trying to lose weight).
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-10-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    *~Sara~*

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    sweet potato and fruit.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    My A-team: tubers, squashes, green plantain, carrot, beetroot, onion, tomato
    My B-team: fruit, rice, peas, chestnuts
    My F-team: sugar, juice, milk, wheat, corn, oats, dry beans

I'm no gourmet so most of it just boiled or baked with butter and salt where appropriate.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    sweet potato and fruit.
    thanks for the response! I'm sheepish to admit that I've never had sweet potatoes before I have no idea how to prepare them, but some googling should fix that! I'll add them to my grocery list for next week.

As for fruit-I have been eating 2-3 bananas a week, but otherwise I'm not fond of fruit. Berries are ok, but since it's not growing season here yet, they're crazy expensive. I just can't afford $4 for 8 ounces of blueberries right now. As soon as the U Pick farms open up though, I'm going to get a bunch of them and freeze them-blueberries and strawberries are like $1.25lb at the u pick farms around here
    *~Sara~*

Zach is offline Banned
    Fruit, potatoes, rice, sugars (honey, maple syrup), dairy. Also just eat more. Add another banana and egg to those pancakes and use maple syrup on top.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    My A-team: tubers, squashes, green plantain, carrot, beetroot, onion, tomato
    My B-team: fruit, rice, peas, chestnuts
    My F-team: sugar, juice, milk, wheat, corn, oats, dry beans

I'm no gourmet so most of it just boiled or baked with butter and salt where appropriate.

Thank you! I'm not into cooking either-boiled or baked with butter sounds good to me!
    *~Sara~*

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I agree with all the suggestions above. Eat more, especially starches.

Thanks everyone! I'm making a grocery list right now
    *~Sara~*

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Go for the yams! They are so satisfying and if you toss a couple in the oven at the same time to bake, they keep very well in the 'fridge for future meals.

Just give them scrub, coat in evoo and bake until a knife easily pierces the thickest part of the yam. Usually do at 365.

I did the same as you but instead of finding healthy ways to maintain, I boomeranged and over-ate. So don't be afraid of the carbs in a banana, yam, potato, rice or fruit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Go for the yams! They are so satisfying and if you toss a couple in the oven at the same time to bake, they keep very well in the 'fridge for future meals.

Just give them scrub, coat in evoo and bake until a knife easily pierces the thickest part of the yam. Usually do at 365.

I did the same as you but instead of finding healthy ways to maintain, I boomeranged and over-ate. So don't be afraid of the carbs in a banana, yam, potato, rice or fruit.
    That's my fear right now-a little voice is whispering that some SAD carb rich food would even things out, which I know will lead to bad, bad things. So I really need to figure out the maintenance thing with healthy/primal foods. I'm fortunate that I transitioned into maintenance very closely to the time I decided to go primal, so I'm creating good habits right from the start
    *~Sara~*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast