Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Higher Carb Primal foods? page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We love our potatoes - regular/sweet and we do rice occasionally. I generally cook the potatoes (either one) one of 3 ways...
    1) Boil, mash with butter, salt, garlic powder to taste
    2) Cut into wedges, toss with OO and salt, bake on cookies sheet (I use parchment paper to avoid sticking) at 350 for about 40 minutes, flip half way
    3) Cut into thin slices, fry in OO with salt and garlic powder

Discovered this week that my 5yo DD prefers sweet potatoes to regular. So we'll be eating those more often now.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I agree, fruits and potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are easy to prepare--you can pretty much prepare them as regular potatoes. I have skinned, chopped, boiled them and made mashed sweet potatoes. I have chopped them and put them onto kababs. I have sliced them and baked sweet potato fries. Heck, I have even wrapped them in a wet paper towel, microwaved for 7 minutes, and had 'baked sweet potatoes' (essentially a quick steaming of them).

Also, sweet potato brownies:
    PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Sweet Potato Brownies

You can thank me later :P
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    That's my fear right now-a little voice is whispering that some SAD carb rich food would even things out, which I know will lead to bad, bad things. So I really need to figure out the maintenance thing with healthy/primal foods. I'm fortunate that I transitioned into maintenance very closely to the time I decided to go primal, so I'm creating good habits right from the start
    This might be one occasion where ignoring that little voice is a good thing! Otherwise, you sound like you have a great, measured attitude.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=kathleen;1186669]I agree, fruits and potatoes.

Also, sweet potato brownies:
    PaleOMG – Paleo Recipes – Sweet Potato Brownies

Kathleen - I'm dying to try this recipe from the mag since I saw it last month! Have you?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    1 large banana with two medium eggs, pinch of cinnamon and vanilla extract, with 2 tbsp butter and pinch of pink Himalayan salt. 1 beef sausage with mustard drizzled on top.

2ish: salad with lettuce, diced green bell pepper, mushrooms, diced tomato, black olives, hard boiled egg, 1/2 slice cheddar cheese and three strips of bacon. With regular ranch dressing. Finished up with one square Lindt 85% dark chocolate and a handful of almonds

5pm: 2 large mushrooms, drizzled in a tsp of evoo, filled with 1/4 cup pork sausage and diced onion, and topped with 1/2 slice of cheddar cheese.

Suggestions?
    Yes. Eat more food. Your menu is great just up the quantities. Have 6 eggs and 3 sausages. 1/2 slice of cheese? Really? Eat up. You'll be fine.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes. Eat more food. Your menu is great just up the quantities. Have 6 eggs and 3 sausages. 1/2 slice of cheese? Really? Eat up. You'll be fine.
    Thanks for the input! After being in weight loss mode for the past 6ish months, it's hard to let myself eat more (eating less is a habit now). But, you're right-I need to find a better balance of quantity, now that I'm in maintenance and exercising too.

Oh, and the cheese comes pre-sliced in two, to make a cheddar/colby jack combo pack. Next time I'll add more halves.
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-10-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    *~Sara~*

diene is offline Senior Member
    Heh--I wish I had your problem. What an awesome problem to have! Eat baked potatoes loaded with butter and/or sour cream and/or cheese and bacon!!! Homemade french fries or sweet potatoe fries or chips baked in the oven. So many yummy primal foods you can eat to stop losing weight.

Eat lamb belly or pork belly--yummy fatty cuts. Eat rice with butter mixed in or cooked in coconut milk. Eat 32-oz steaks. Ice cream made with sugar or homemade coconut milk ice cream. Homemade frozen yogurt. Bacon on everything. I could go on and on and on.

Edited to add: Someone above mentioned PaleOMG. She has great recipes!! I loved every recipe that I've tried.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Looking at what you eat, it doesn't look to me like you are low in carbs. You can certainly increase your carbs, but what you are eating looks low in protein to me. You should eat more meat, too.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Looking at what you eat, it doesn't look to me like you are low in carbs. You can certainly increase your carbs, but what you are eating looks low in protein to me. You should eat more meat, too.
    I've been resisting tracking the different nutrients of my food, but I may have to for a while, until I figure everything out. We did just get part of a beef share, so I will be eating more beef-it's a start
    *~Sara~*

Well, I'm down another half pound this morning I haven't been to the store yet, but I did up my food intake yesterday, after going through this thread. Actually felt like I overate, and even had a bite of my dh's chocolate chip cookie last night. Go figure!

Today we're going out for ice cream with my parents, for Mother's Day, and the place carries a local ice cream brand that's pretty natural. And then tonight we're going out for dinner with my dh's side. Was planning on fish and a salad, but now I may get a steak and a baked potato

I think it's time for me to start tracking my food-does anyone have a recommendation for a good site that breaks the food down, so I can see how much fat, protein and carbs I'm eating? Thanks!
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
    *~Sara~*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast