Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 months and I'm still thinking "once I hit my goal, I'll be able to eat .. page

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member

5 months and I'm still thinking "once I hit my goal, I'll be able to eat ..

Primal Fuel
    I've been moderately primal for 5 months. I mean I try to be primal, and I mostly succeed, I don't cheat often, but I do on occasion. I've gotten off of all maintenance drugs, ice before ibuprofen, suffer through sinus infections and try to ride them out before getting antibiotics (less infections, 50% success rate). I feel better, I am loosing fat and gaining strength and energy without stress, or obsessive effort. I'm sold. The PB works. The PB is healthy. No question.

But after all this success over the past 5 months, I can't get the thought out of my head that once I hit my body composition goal, I can have pizza a bit more often, can drink more craft beer, can enjoy a fresh loaf of artisan bread, etc. I don't want beer and pizza ever dinner time, but I can't shake the craving. I've been successful in minimizing my indulgences, 2 or 3 beers a week. Pizza twice in 5 months. A slice of bread (no more than that) once every two weeks.

Do the cravings ever go away?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post
    I've been moderately primal for 5 months. I mean I try to be primal, and I mostly succeed, I don't cheat often, but I do on occasion. I've gotten off of all maintenance drugs, ice before ibuprofen, suffer through sinus infections and try to ride them out before getting antibiotics (less infections, 50% success rate). I feel better, I am loosing fat and gaining strength and energy without stress, or obsessive effort. I'm sold. The PB works. The PB is healthy. No question.

But after all this success over the past 5 months, I can't get the thought out of my head that once I hit my body composition goal, I can have pizza a bit more often, can drink more craft beer, can enjoy a fresh loaf of artisan bread, etc. I don't want beer and pizza ever dinner time, but I can't shake the craving. I've been successful in minimizing my indulgences, 2 or 3 beers a week. Pizza twice in 5 months. A slice of bread (no more than that) once every two weeks.

Do the cravings ever go away?
    Yup. Yes, they do. If you stop drinking 2-3 beers a week and eating bread every 2 weeks.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It is hammered into us that to lose weight we go on a temporary weight loss diet that we can pretend is a lifestyle change. If you want it badly enough you can make your own pizza and drink gluten-free beer. If not, you will probably learn a hard lesson, but some people need that to shake them up.

Techie is offline Member
    I know a alcoholic that's been sober for 20+ years. Whether or not he really was may be in question but he is able to drink NA Beer and even some wine once in a while without getting drunk. I think it depends on just how bad your relationship was with these foods beforehand that will determine whether you can have an occasional treat (modified for paleo or not) or have to truly abstain to beat the cravings.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    There are alternatives if you are craving those foods, but it sounds to me that you are in a restrictive state of mind....you gotta switch that up. Yu CAN have beer and you CAN have pizza. Just make/buy safe versions and enjoy.

Thanks for the input all,

Dacec, I think you're right. In spite of the obvious, I think I still have a restrictive attitude towards food. I don't have to eat anything new for Primal, but I do need to cut out a lifetime of the staples of SAD.

The craft beer isn't going away, though. That is one of life's great pleasures. I haven't drank (drunk?) anything like Bud\Lite\Corona in years. Well before Primal, I'd prefer to abstain rather than waist the calories on something so unsatisfying. I like to kick back and savor something rich and complex and, unfortunately, even further from primal. The good thing is, I don't drink them nearly as often.

The bread, as much as I used to love it, is more incidental now; a chunk of baguette served with a salad or rolls before a steak or fish dinner at a restaurant. I can ask the server not to deliver temptation in a basket. I do need to find something new to top with spicy tomato sauce, melted cheese and sausage (or broccoli and bacon).

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post
    I do need to find something new to top with spicy tomato sauce, melted cheese and sausage (or broccoli and bacon).
    GO!

If that tastes half as good as it looks, pizza can be back on the menu.

Thanks,

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I drink craft beer now and then and have done so the entire time I've been doing the Primal thing. I don't drink it often, just when it'll really hit the spot, like when we stop for beer after a long, hot hike with friends.

I had a huge ice cream sundae yesterday. Sadly, it has shown me that I really do have a problem with lactose intolerance. Been drinking a small cappuchino daily this week and feeling kinda sick every afternoon. This ice cream sundae left me feeling quite explosively sick. Oh well. The vegan cheesecake is still good to eat and tastes better than ice cream to me anyway.

I think at some point the key to success with sticking to a Primal way of life is the 80/20 rule. For some, they can implement it right away and it helps. For others it's better if they do 90/10 or try really hard for 100% and only do 80/20 after they've experienced the miracle of health long enough they know they'll stick to this way of life no matter what.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OP, it seems like you still may be thinking of this as "a diet" vs "being healthy". I just think of it as the best way to eat to maximize my already above-average awesomeness. Mindset is everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast