Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 months and I'm still thinking "once I hit my goal, I'll be able to eat .. page 2

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yup. Yes, they do. If you stop drinking 2-3 beers a week and eating bread every 2 weeks.
    Haha, Rich always hits it.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post
    If that tastes half as good as it looks, pizza can be back on the menu.

Thanks,
    It isn't the best pizza I've ever had, but the texture is awesome and the flavor is "pizza". I've made it twice and loved it both times.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I ate non-primal things all along. I still do now and then. I started making an effort to eat a more primal diet in July of 2012. It got easier and easier over time. I imagine that in a year, it will be even easier than it is right now. I'm not on a diet. I'm training myself to eat better. In my mind, that doesn't mean never eating pizza, it means not eating pizza every week. I'm down to about 1 slice a month, painlessly. I can see that at some point, I will have absolutely no feelings about pizza, whatsoever. Don't beat yourself up. Take the long view.

I still drink beer. I like it. I'm not going to deprive myself. But I'm drinking it less now and drinking more wine. Sometimes I'll have a couple and then switch over to water or tea and not mind at all. Maybe at some point, I'll give it up altogether. I can see now that that might be possible. Maybe. That would have been inconceivable to me 10 months ago. If somebody else doesn't see that as amazing progress, f'em. I'm not on a diet.
    Last edited by LauraSB; 05-10-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Don't beat yourself up. Take the long view.

I'm not on a diet.
    This!
    By the way, if you really eat enough primal foods, you will not be hungry for crap. Keep the beer if you like, and do try some alternative pizzas and aside from that....eat plenty of great food.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your body size, it's not really possible to have x cheats more often once you've reached your goal weight. A larger, taller person, maybe, but too many indulgences on a small frame and I'd be back where I started. It is possible to relax a bit though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mdmoore07 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post

Do the cravings ever go away?
    I quit smoking 3 years ago and still have cravings at times, but it's really only if I have a couple drinks(vodka on the rocks, please). However, I still sometimes have dreams about smoking cigarettes like a banshee, pack after pack. I'm completely upset with myself in the dream too. As I'm doing it, I'm literally almost in tears, dissapointed in myself.

I've been eating Paleo on and off for a couple of years. I'm now a month deep in what I'd call "my strictest attempt yet" at Paleo. I know my physical addictions are giving way and my habitual routine/mental side at this point. I know this because I'm starting to have similar dreams about eating grains, pizza, etc. Haha. I'm just as dissapointed too!

So no, maybe my cravings will never REALLY go away, but when I consider the implications of various addictions I'm easily reminded of why I quit in the first place. Being a human means self-control and the pride you feel when you have it. If you're eating enough fat and not cheating, you should have minimal cravings. Are you planning your self-sabotage perhaps?

Final thought: when I think back to the times that I fell off the paleo-wagon; in every case I was trying to do a high-protein, low-fat, low-carb WOE. It's frickin' futile! Now I'm 70%+ fat, 20%Protein, 10% carb...and its been the most effective WOE yet.

Good luck!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83744.html

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -Milton Friedman

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Depending on your body size, it's not really possible to have x cheats more often once you've reached your goal weight. A larger, taller person, maybe, but too many indulgences on a small frame and I'd be back where I started. It is possible to relax a bit though.
    It's definitely true that a smaller person has less leeway than a larger one. My DH is 5'11" and maybe 60% primal. He lost 45lbs last year and maintains a pretty lean weight in spite of regular cheating.

I consume about 1000 calories in beer each week, feel amazing, and still continue to slowly lose weight. But I don't snack, except on fruits and veggies if I'm really hungry and I treat primal baked goodies and nuts exactly the same way I treat beer - I never think of them as freebies. I think the smaller you are, the more critical it is that you focus on consuming nutrient dense food before you indulge in high calorie yummies, primal or not.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I've recently gone to two meals a day and cut out chocolate. I've had pretty much no cravings for crap non-food for over a week. Perhaps it's the ghrelin.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    Funny, I haven't had a beer since I started this thread. I have a few good ones in the fridge, and still have a cellar full of excellent brews aging. I've had a few glasses of red wine in the last week, but just didn't feel like a having a beer.

I also haven't cooked on the charcoal grill in that time either.

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can eat those things now - but they're not good for you.
    You can eat those things when you're at your goal weight - but they still won't be good for you.

As for cravings and foodie thoughts, I've found they do go away, but more important, motivation and experience get stronger. I used to crave ice cream. When I finally gave in after many months, I discovered that in reality, it's just cold, wet and way too sweet. So I am now more able to say "It's not good for me. Why would I sacrifice health for something that doesn't taste good to me any longer?"

Having said the self-righteous part, I am compelled to admit that I still have "coping mechanisms" that I like to think are only temporary. I still have a sweet tooth, so I keep some dark choc, honey and (gasp) diet dr. pepper around. But I turn to them maybe once a month now instead of once a day.
    Last edited by MattyH; 05-21-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast