Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receding Gums & Electric Toothbrush/Waterpik page

abexman is offline Member

Receding Gums & Electric Toothbrush/Waterpik

Primal Fuel
    So I recently went to the dental hygenist after not having gone since Jan 2012 (dentist recommends every 6 mo). I eat about 90-95% primal I would say. I brush and floss daily, with my Oralb electric toothbrush, recommended by the dentist.

The hygenist said my gums are receding (which is not new) and I had a fair amount of tartar buildup and the hole where one of my wisdom teeth had been pulled (~15 years ago) has gotten infected. I have had only a handful of cavities ever (all of them came when I switched to a new dentist interestingly, and have not reoccurred at my current dentist). She suggested a visit with the orthodontist to check the infection and for me to change my brushing style (small circles preferred), my toothbrush head (small circular head, not the rectangular one), and to try and floss behind my last teeth in the area where the vacant wisdom teeth are. She suspects my electric toothbrush is contributing (perhaps entirely) to my receding gums. She also suggested Welenda salt toothpaste (I had been using Tom's of ME non-flouride): Weleda Salt Toothpaste - Weleda.com

Based on what I've read elsewhere here it seems flossing gives most of the benefits. I'm wondering if my best strategy would be to ditch the electric toothbrush, switch to a manual brush, adjust my brushing technique and maybe get a water pick?

Thoughts? Good water pick model? Would electric be better or also have drawbacks? I noticed some people said to brush angled to the gums? Is that then at a 45degree angle with the brush facing away from the gums, or to the gums?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Does the 10% of non-primal include gluten?

I used to have inflamed gums and bought a water-pik on the recommendation of a woman who had cleared up her gum inflammation by using one. But the problem just completely went away after I gave up gluten. I didn't go to a dentist for several years and had no problems, where previously I was already inflamed by 6 months.

I have always used a manual toothbrush. It seems to me that to get the equivalent effect from an electric, you would need two, or one that had two separate modes to simulate back-and-forth and up-and-down motions.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problems as you do, back before my primal days. I use an electric toothbrush because I (apparently?) brush too "vigorously" and so cause some of the receding gum issues. I use a water pick as well, and use hydrogen peroxide in the water tank along with the water (about 1 tbs per tank), which helps keep plaque away, "bleaches" my teeth, and helps with any budding problems.

I went to the dentist since primal, and they commented on how they wish all patients took as good of care of their teeth...but some of that may be the food? IDK

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    You may want to investigate oil pulling.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    I had the same problems as you do, back before my primal days. I use an electric toothbrush because I (apparently?) brush too "vigorously" and so cause some of the receding gum issues. I use a water pick as well, and use hydrogen peroxide in the water tank along with the water (about 1 tbs per tank), which helps keep plaque away, "bleaches" my teeth, and helps with any budding problems.

I went to the dentist since primal, and they commented on how they wish all patients took as good of care of their teeth...but some of that may be the food? IDK
    I have receding gums and my dentist also suggested I get an electric toothbrush (I apparently brush too vigorously as well). I love using it to brush my teeth, and I rinse with listerine and floss daily. The dentist always comments on how clean my teeth are. It feels like a great injustice in life that I take such good care of my teeth yet my gums betray me.

But I also noticed one day that I had an abrasion (an ablation, actually? I forget the term) from "trauma" (likely grinding at night. I got a night guard and never wear it, oops). Dentist said that the grinding could possibly be behind the gum problem.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I was told to use a round spinning headed electric toothbrush by one dentist, and the next dentist I saw said it was damaging my teeth and causing more gum erosion. Allllways use super soft bristled toothbrushes.

Have your dentist show you how to brush properly with a manual brush. Be gentle! Rinsing with anything for a few minutes every day (or multiple times a day) can be great for your mouth, not just with oil.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

GuitarGrok is offline Member
    I have started to make my own toothpaste, and my teeth have never felt cleaner. It is just find ground sea salt, baking soda, and coconut oil. I sometimes put in peppermint extract for a minty flavor, and I have started to grind up one or two calcium magnesium pills into it to re-mineralize my teeth a bit since I have some old cavities that were never filled, but haven't gotten worse since cleaning up my diet.

Any suggestions on a type of water pick or is that also bad news?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Abexman, I've been through this, and it can be really tough. It led to a periodontist operating on my gums, in 4 operations. From my experience:
    1. Don't floss your teeth. Use a Waterpick. It has to be that brand because it has the correct pulse speed. Use it only on the 1 or 2 setting which is very gentle but still very effective at removing all bits of food. This Waterpick is an electric device.
    2. Don't use an elelctric toothbrush, use a regular, soft toothbrush. Brush horizontally only, side to side, in very short strokes. Then when you rinse your teeth with water after brushing, brush up from the bottom (on the bottom teeth) and down from the top (on the top teeth).
    3. Oil pull for 5 min. after brushing. (Waterpick first). Use Sesame or Coconut Oil.

This regime has been very beneficial for me over a period of more than 10 years (except for the oil pulling with is new for me).

EDIT: If your gums are already receeding it probably means that you already have pyorrhea or Periodontitis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodontitis unless it's only caused by hard brushing with a hard toothbrush. You could see a periodontist to check. In any case you should probably add another step after step 2: gargle and swish with a good bacteria-killing mouthwash. Your dentist can prescribe one.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 05-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

PrimalCon New York
    Are we all sure the water pick is safe for use? I'm just worried like electric brushing it may be overkill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast