Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeders! page 2

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    watch out Sara - people are going to start screaming at you for giving that to your 4yo. Not me but some just can't help themselves.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    watch out Sara - people are going to start screaming at you for giving that to your 4yo. Not me but some just can't help themselves.
    lol, that's ok He rarely gets treats like that so I'm not too worried about it.
    *~Sara~*

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    You know the ones:

the woman at work that buys cakes and watches everyone gourge on them

or the people that make you feel guilty about not getting involved in the ritual birthday cake

leeches on society
    This is a rotten attitude to have. People like this might be annoying (they are annoying to me) but their objective is to try and create a happy work environment. This is what they think will accomplish that. Even though you might tell them 100 times that you do not eat cake, they will feel like they are being impolite if they do not at least offer it to you even if they know you will say no.

Try to see the world not through other people's intentions rather than seeing it as people always being in your way. All you have to do is say no thank you.

And if you are celiac or have celiac children, never go anywhere without bringing your own food or being prepared to not eat. Expecting other people to care about your requirements when other people live in their own self-obsessed universes is a recipe for constant frustration.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by eKatherine
    Gosh, yes. It's not the thought that counts, people.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    The herd woke up grumpy today. ;-)
    WHOOPS eKatherine - I was agreeing w/ you, though I don't think it came across that way!!

My bad - have a good day.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I've noticed a lot of people tend to get freaked out if you don't eat the same things that they feel are "guilty pleasures" or whatever. I think on some level it scares them that someone is "able to say no" to a "delicious cake with frosting!". I just take a really relaxed approach: "Here have some cake!" "No thanks, I'm good. Looks tasty, though, thank you." Eventually most people figure out what you won't eat and it's no big deal.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A couple of you remind me of this girl in college. She was in PETA and was VEGAN and let the world know. We were all in an "earth" group that got together and discussed environmental issues. We had a potluck, and one of our members brought a bean dip made with lard. His grandma's recipe. She flipped.

If you don't want the cake that the nice lady in accounting made, just say "No Thank You!". If you have a gluten free child and someone is cooking for you, ASK what they are making to determine if it is gluten free. If someone makes you something gross that is gluten free... SAY THANKS.

How would you feel if some vegetarian bitched about going to your BBQ and not having a veggie burger? Or you inadvertantly thinking chicken works for vegetarian? Or if you made some tofu concoction with them in mind and they bitched about it being gross. You'd probably find them to be self centered assholes.

Face it, we exclude a food that probably 96% of americans enjoy regularly and many of them are healthy. It's not like offering someone a piece of cake is like offering a kid some crack cocaine. It's a part of life.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is a rotten attitude to have. People like this might be annoying (they are annoying to me) but their objective is to try and create a happy work environment. This is what they think will accomplish that. Even though you might tell them 100 times that you do not eat cake, they will feel like they are being impolite if they do not at least offer it to you even if they know you will say no.

Try to see the world not through other people's intentions rather than seeing it as people always being in your way. All you have to do is say no thank you.

And if you are celiac or have celiac children, never go anywhere without bringing your own food or being prepared to not eat. Expecting other people to care about your requirements when other people live in their own self-obsessed universes is a recipe for constant frustration.
    Yes, this.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    A couple of you remind me of this girl in college. She was in PETA and was VEGAN and let the world know. We were all in an "earth" group that got together and discussed environmental issues. We had a potluck, and one of our members brought a bean dip made with lard. His grandma's recipe. She flipped.

If you don't want the cake that the nice lady in accounting made, just say "No Thank You!". If you have a gluten free child and someone is cooking for you, ASK what they are making to determine if it is gluten free. If someone makes you something gross that is gluten free... SAY THANKS.

How would you feel if some vegetarian bitched about going to your BBQ and not having a veggie burger? Or you inadvertantly thinking chicken works for vegetarian? Or if you made some tofu concoction with them in mind and they bitched about it being gross. You'd probably find them to be self centered assholes.

Face it, we exclude a food that probably 96% of americans enjoy regularly and many of them are healthy. It's not like offering someone a piece of cake is like offering a kid some crack cocaine. It's a part of life.
    I understand where you're coming from, but this is also a world where people will bake you a treat to "surprise" you, where they don't understand that it can be impossible to cook a gluten-free recipe without cross-contamination in a kitchen where gluten resides. People get insulted if you tell them in advance not to bother. The issues involved in keeping gluten-free can be complex, and it is not reasonable to expect someone unacquainted with them to be able to cook something safe. Eating a piece of cake somebody used a mix they thought was gluten-free but wasn't can mean being sick for weeks.

Cooking vegan for a non-vegan is a breeze compared with the challenges of cooking gluten-free.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Glad you clarified.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i'm picturing it now

every old lady with a plate of cookies is a secret leech, like they're wearing a great big egger suit

beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast