Thread: Carb refeeds to GAIN fat and muscle! Help needed please! page

sarah13 is offline Junior Member

Carb refeeds to GAIN fat and muscle! Help needed please!

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old female and very lean but need to gain weight - fat and muscle - I have been eating fairly primal for the past two months and have lost weight but this was not my intention! I have always been quite small framed, but I weigh 51kg now so have lost half a stone, and I am 5ft 7 so this is too low for my height, but I can't seem to gain any weight. I have had blood tests recently beceause I have had women problems (too low hormone levels to have my monthly flow - sorry guys!) So just trying to gain weight to make my body run normally again.

Once a week I do an "intensity" workout class - (an hour of intense exercises like squat jumps, pressups, lunges, burpees, mountain climbers, sprinting on the spot, high knees etc.) Then I try and do another 3 workouts, where I run for 25 minutes (sprinting then slower jog), and lift 8kg weights with squats, lunges etc, use the TRX and do bodyweight exercises - totalling an hour 10 minutes per workout.

Eating wise, a typical day for me is avocado with smoked salmon and a couple of oatcakes for breakfast, or on a carby day a bowl of oats with kefir milk (sorry not primal!) and berries and nuts, lunch usually consists of a big salad with steamed veg - on a carby day sweet potato included, otherwise just greens and tomatoes, peppers etc, with about 100g protein such as sardines, chicken etc. drizzled with olive oil, sometimes I have lentils or rice in my salads depending on whether I think I need the carbs.
    Snacks - handful nuts, oatcakes spread with avocado, chicken breast slices, fruit.
    Dinner - usually a sweet potato and carrots/green beans, with lamb, chicken, or fish cooked in coconut or olive oil. Sometimes brown rice when I've worked out quite hard.
    Protein shake after workouts using sunwarrior protein (17g protein per scoop)
    I put coconut oil in my tea daily to try and gain weight but no luck so far!
    I am very good with eating healthily and never really have a cheat meal or desert - desert for me is generally full fat yoghurt with dark chocolate pieces and fruit with honey! So nothing "bad".

I track my diet on fit day to make sure I'm getting enough protein and fat, and on a general day I get about 60-70g protein, 55- 60g fat, and 120-150g carbs.

Any suggestions? I feel quite tired the day after a workout and just feel zonked and low energy, also irritable. I had thought I was doing fine with the carbs but maybe I need to start eating more and doing 1 day of carb refeeding per week? I want to build lean muscle and gain fat and look more shapely! Thanks appreciate any advice.

peppermint is offline Member
    Dozen eggs a day, or if you have clean milk GOMAD.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You are not eating enough protein to gain muscle mass given your present exercise level. You are not eating enough calories to gain fat.

You are only eating 1215-1420 calories a day. That is a weight loss deficit. Seriously, double that for a day or two, then try a few days at about 2000 calories and 120g of protein.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You are not eating enough protein to gain muscle mass given your present exercise level. You are not eating enough calories to gain fat.

You are only eating 1215-1420 calories a day. That is a weight loss deficit. Seriously, double that for a day or two, then try a few days at about 2000 calories and 120g of protein.
    Exactly what she said.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Go above and beyond 2000 calories.

Eat white potatoes.

Read gokaleo.com.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Also drop your workouts to 15 min 2 times a week. There is no real point of "working out" longer than half an hour a week. You are causing too much stress for your underfed body.

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    +1 to eating way more food (calories and nutrition). +1 to cutting wayyy back on your exercise. You should consider stopping all exercise except walking until you bring your weight up--the "exercise" you are doing is stressing your system out, especially on too little food. I'm not sure why you're insisting on such an exercise program with so little food, but that's a problem, i suspect. Once you heal and gain some weight and lower your stress, your body will be ready for you to slowly work back into exercise. And you'll be able to listen to your body.

sarah13 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely add more calories and aim for more protein from now on, I think I just underestimated the after burn effects of the exercise i'm doing - I just like to get a good workout in because i'm stuck at my desk all day at work which makes me feel like crap!