Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawn care resolution page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

Lawn care resolution

Primal Fuel
    It's unlikely I will ever have a house with a lawn (too expensive). However, if I ever do, I am resolved to never mow it with a gas powered lawn mower.

I hated using them as a kid. They never seemed considerably more useful than a rotary push mower. They made a mess of the grass, were heavier, louder and I have destroyed at least two windows with debris they huck out.

Riding ones were fun, a blast sometimes (again, kid), but I couldn't help but wonder what the point of a "lawn" big enough to require one was. Ours certainly did not.

Instead, I will use a motor-less push mower or a scythe. I've seen one of those scythes in action - if you are half decent at honing, it does just fine. It's exercise - moving constantly at a slow pace.

Scythe Workshop: How to Mow with a Scythe - YouTube

The trick is to not have too much lawn that needs mowing - grow something else

Failing that, goats. Goat droppings are easy to pick up, should I need the space cleared.

Anyone who doesn't want to do this can go right ahead - this is just what I think I will do.

M.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Your options would depend on where you lived. There are a lot of places you can't keep farm animals, and the grass has to be really tall to hay it.

I went through a couple of electric mowers and reel mowers before finally getting a lawn guy who blows through in about 20 minutes and finishes the job it would take us a couple of hours to do.

Diechipmunk is offline Junior Member
    A bigger lawn give the kids room to play waffle ball, soccer, tag, Frisbee, etc. Mines only about 1/2 acre, with the house planted in the middle, but it still takes an hour to mow and trim with a tractor. Sure, I use a couple gallons of gas a month, but I think I do more good using only organic lawn care products. the soil is rich, damp and full of earth worms; the grass is think and green and healthy, compared to chemically treated lawns, all dry and chalky. My lawn is very resilient and drought tolerant.

Of course those rotary drum push mowers have the cleanest, most uniform cut, but it takes me over 3 hours a week (twice in peak season) to do my lawn with one.

fifer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diechipmunk View Post
    A bigger lawn give the kids room to play waffle ball, soccer, tag, Frisbee, etc. Mines only about 1/2 acre, with the house planted in the middle, but it still takes an hour to mow and trim with a tractor. Sure, I use a couple gallons of gas a month, but I think I do more good using only organic lawn care products. the soil is rich, damp and full of earth worms; the grass is think and green and healthy, compared to chemically treated lawns, all dry and chalky. My lawn is very resilient and drought tolerant.

Of course those rotary drum push mowers have the cleanest, most uniform cut, but it takes me over 3 hours a week (twice in peak season) to do my lawn with one.
    Depends how big your lawn is. We have a Brill push cylinder mower, we can finish before the next door neighbour has finished dragging all the powered gear out of the shed.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I use a Fiskars Momentum reel mower. It's quiet and cuts better than my old gas mower.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    My lawn has topography and trees. The push mower was a struggle, especially when the weather was hot.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I have an austrian scythe. I did the first cut of my father's back garden this year with the scythe. If you're happy to have the exercise and do the work, it's perfectly possible to cut a lawn with a scythe. On the course I did, we practised first on a nice flat section that was only a couple of inches long. Made it easy to get a nice smooth action and if you keep the blade honed, yes, then it's awesome to see inch-long shavings dropping to the ground. The grass here was no more than 3 or 4 inches and I got a reasonable first cut. I have to do my own front garden which is only about 12' x 12' and at this point I'm thinking the scythe will be a lot easier and probably quicker than getting the strimmer out.

At the Annual West Country Scythe Fair, they always run a scythe vs petrol strimmer (brushcutter) race and the scythe always wins and often gives a cleaner, tidier cut.

Go for it!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I have a rock "lawn." No fuss. I miss grass, but the park is a 2 minute walk away.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Roary, do you mean something like this:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2...6_rocklawn.jpg

Quite pretty, but wouldn't it make it rather useless for anything?

M.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Pretty close! Mine has more prickly plants though. We use the back yard primarily, although that too is mostly cement & pool. In the desert, it's too much work & resources to keep grass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast