Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fruit was a bad idea.... page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

The fruit was a bad idea....

Shop Now
    As you may or may not know from my siggy, I have bipolar disorder, so part of the reason why I'm doing a ketogenic diet is to help manage the symptoms of that, which is has done very, very well. But every time I eat berries, I end up really depressed and emotional from the sugar (yes, it has that big an effect on my moods) and it's just horrible. Ate a lot of berries today and I am a total wreck emotionally right now.

I'm just venting I guess. I feel frustrated. I feel like I will never be able to eat how I want to because of the huge effect that food has on me. I mean, I can't have fruits, or god forbid I actually have a dark chocolate bar which is my absolute favorite without it leaving me in complete emotional upheaval. It just sucks, sometimes I want to have something sweet, or the occasional treat meal or something and I can't. Grrrrrr......

Sorry for venting, but I appreciate you listening.

firemart is offline Member
    Sending you positive thoughts tonight.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Listening and sending a virtual hug.

I am intolerant to fructose, so I need to limit my sugar as well. Not as serious an issue, but I can relate.

What has helped with managing my blood sugar: Magnesium and Vitamin D3 supplementation.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Sorry that didn't work out for you as you hoped, but you are now at a higher level of wisdom.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Agree totally it sucks,
    But I have to ask, what was a lot, did you possibly go over the top?

Maybe you need to go to a slower release carb source like nuts to find that balance between Keto blues and Sugar depression.
    If you can find that place and stay there for a while that may actually help your body widen it's tolerance on both sides of the scale.

It may be that stay with the keto diet and just have a well chewed nut or two every few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Agree totally it sucks,
    But I have to ask, what was a lot, did you possibly go over the top?

Maybe you need to go to a slower release carb source like nuts to find that balance between Keto blues and Sugar depression.
    If you can find that place and stay there for a while that may actually help your body widen it's tolerance on both sides of the scale.

It may be that stay with the keto diet and just have a well chewed nut or two every few hours.
    It was a lot, yes. I did have too much. I seem to tolerate around 100g no problem, but for some reason today I was really hungry, basically a bottomless pit and I was munching almost anything keto that I could get my hands on. I ate a whole days calories by 1pm today.....not sure why. As far as the berries, yes, I probably had about 8-10oz of them, possibly more. I was really, really craving carbs so I had the berries instead of diving into something far worse for me in the pantry. I'm still in ketosis which is good, because that probably would have sent me off the deep end with the way I'm feeling this evening, lol!!

I should have just eaten more meat or my chocolate chili, but I was concerned about overdoing it on protein so I figured, a little bowl of berries with cream should be just fine, and well, that little bowl of berries turned into more and more berries.....you get the idea.

Anyway, I'm just really tired now. Called the husband and had a good cry, ready to go to bed and start fresh with a new day.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Crying releases a lot of hormonal tension,
    As for the rest, "Live & Learn"

Thanks everyone for the support.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I understand how you feel because in order to manage my weight, I have to remain very low carb [I secrete too much insulin]. Fruit is an incredible 'trigger' for me, so I have to totally abstain--and I love fruit.

What helps me is to recognize that people have to limit their diets for a variety of reasons--diabetics, for example--so I am not alone. I had a friend whose child was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic at age 6, and the poor boy was devastated because he could no longer tolerate fruit. Abstaining from candy didn't bother him, but fruit was difficult. But he was very, very compliant with his diet.

I remind myself of this little boy whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself. ALSO it helps me to ignore what I don't eat and focus on what I DO eat and enjoy. It's a 'mental fence' that I put around foods I don't eat that helps me keep them out of my consciousness.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Ugh. So sorry for what you're going through. I'm by no means low carb and ice never even tried. I can't even imagine not even being able to have fruit. PMS is a pain for me unless I let myself indulge in tons of sugar, I can only hope yours is better...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast