Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 years old: Is our generation screwed? page

Cyrone Guest

24 years old: Is our generation screwed?

Primal Fuel
    We were fed frosted-flakes cereal and peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast.
    In the high school cafeteria, garlic bread, pasta, french fries, coke during lunch take over.
    Come dinnertime, feast on nearly 2 cups of white rice followed by dessert.
    This along with various spouts of snacking on chips, gummy bears, and ice cream sporadically throughout the day, thinking we're "invincible". Cross country for 4 years. Other kids doing other sports probably played this card better.

College?

Free pizza and high-fructose coke (since aspartame is "bad" for you!) at club meetings
    In a rush? Go to Jimmy John's and grab their leftover white bread and wipe avocado/cheese on it on the go
    Hit the frat parties, drink on average 20+oz of cheap beer
    Bar-hopping followed by gorging on hot dogs at 3am at the local stand because it's "tradition"
    Plus side to college: always on the move, great gym, lots of variety compensated for this carb-heavy diet. And, by then most of my groceries were whole wheat (ha) or organic when possible, with lots of veggies.

-------

When I read Mark's book, I think back to all this and wonder - is my generation (18-26 yrs) totally screwed?
    Have we damaged our bodies beyond repair?
    If the elderly now are dying so early from metabolic syndrome and the host of other illnesses that came along with their eating habits from the 60's, what hope do we have? Our bodies are destroyed. Thank god I discovered this in my mid-20's as I can still turn things around drastically. But I want to know if there is any answer to young folks' situation such as mine.

(also, hi everyone )

- Cyrone

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    You can only save yourself.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I've pondered the same thing lately. We didn't have a cafeteria at my high school so we had to go off campus. Freshman year I had a 750ml bottle of apple cider and a box of Dots candy for lunch. Every day. I probably used to eat my weight in potato chips each year. Soda is the only liquid that passed me lips for a LONG time.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Our generation? As screwed as can be.

And, when our fellow 90s kids are dying of problems caused by THEIR poor dietary habits, the NHS's page on Paleo will still look like this: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/05May/Pa...anfaddiet.aspx and they will be blaming our generation's poor health on junk-food and attempting to force us to feed our kids how they want them to be fed.
    Hopefully our health will be evidence enough that we can look after our children, but the nanny-state may step in if things get much worse. And then anyone on an unconventional diet will have a problem.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Given the right treatment, our bodies are marvellously capable of repairing themselves. So while there is life there is hope, but the situation does indeed seem dire for the majority who do not have the information and commitment that you yourself have.

Cyrone Guest
    Thanks all.. I guess i was looking for an estimate for how long it takes to "turn around" a body destroyed by heavy carbs, even if I'm so fit that you can just barely make out my 6-pack (12% bodyfat). I've gone primal for about 4 days and feel dizzy, weak, frail, and too tired to work/teach. My body can no longer produce keytones, and only barely uses fat reserves to send to my brain. I know Mark is a fan of the 21 days trial period.

Thanks for assuming i'm an angel .. but I still have a tiny bit of rice, bread, pasta sprinkled throughout the day.. totaling ~150+ grams of carbs per day. Hopefully things get stable from here on out!!

- Cyrone

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I am 70. I have been following Mark for 5 years. When I started, I looked old, old, old. Now I look and feel about 50. Andy I am getting younger.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I have heard that the body almost completely replaces itself over a period of two years. So if we are what we eat, then by changing diet now we could be a completely different (and healthier) person two years from now. In my actual experience, noticeable improvements can occur in a much shorter time.

I would encourage you to cut out even the "tiny bit" of pasta and bread and get your carbs from starchy veges, a little fruit, or - in a pinch - rice. It's not just the carbs you need to look out for but the addictiveness and anti-nutritional aspects of the wheat and grains.

What else are you eating? Meat, veges, eggs. Make sure to avoid those processed products and seed oils too.

Hedonist, that is an excellent testimony.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    According to what I've found in animal studies, the early years are most important when guessing the lifespan. Even if I move away from the city (I did) avoid tap water and mostly drink well-water (I do) and eat the best, cleanest food I can afford (I do) I may well drop dead at the age of 60 anyway. I'm about to be 31 and grew up eating exactly like you. Yes, I've transformed my body and life, but there's no guarantee I've slowed the clock at all.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    In a way, one can see it like this: if you reached reproductive age and are able to function (make kids), then you are not screwed. On the contrary, if your dieting habits until now have made you disabled, sterile, braindead, etc, then yes, you are screwed!

I wouldn't sweat it and at 24, there is PLENTY of time to correct the bad habits! Don't wait and start now, forget about the past crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast