Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24 years old: Is our generation screwed? page 2

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Excellent topic.

The important point is kids are screwed by the environment from birth, and then have to spend the rest of their life digging their way out of that whole. The only solution is to change the environment. It's not a willpower or personal choice thing, those can save an individual. But the masses are screwed, big time.

I'm in the states right now and can't believe how FAT people are, but then given the food in the environment it's what happens. Healthcare costs are going to be out of control, more so than they are already.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    In a way, one can see it like this: if you reached reproductive age and are able to function (make kids), then you are not screwed. On the contrary, if your dieting habits until now have made you disabled, sterile, braindead, etc, then yes, you are screwed!

I wouldn't sweat it and at 24, there is PLENTY of time to correct the bad habits! Don't wait and start now, forget about the past crap.
    Agree.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I got lucky, I guess. I grew up in a state that's big on meat and with a father that was big on veggies. Yes, there were nasties with every meal, but there was at least balance (kinda.)
    From middle school forward, I took my lunch. It was always a meat and cheese dry sandwich with lettuce and tomato, chips, soda or juice, and fruit or dessert OR leftovers. Yes, it was a sugar and carbfest, but it beat the hell out of what I saw my comrades who ate the school lunch eat.
    Dinner usually had at least 3 different veggies in it, and meat, and pasta, rolls, or rice. Usually either had milk or water with it.
    I never ate breakfast.
    We really weren't allowed to snack. At most, we were allowed an apple or orange.
    I'm 28, FWIW, and been primal for most of 3 years now.
    I can't say that we're screwed, but I can't say there's an easy road ahead either. Even if you can get out of the hole, the road is filled with'em, and some of them have pit spikes at the bottom.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Cyrone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    The important point is kids are screwed by the environment from birth, and then have to spend the rest of their life digging their way out of that hole.
    Haha, that's my issue exactly.

As for the "sprinkling in pasta/rice" into my meals, I have a hard time believing the 20-30 grams of carbs we get from those is that significant and replacing with fruit/veggies. At the moment i'm just doing it on a gram-by-gram basis (aiming for 150/day max), but i suppose it's important from the perspective of "rewiring" my genes to not need carbs?

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    Haha, that's my issue exactly.

As for the "sprinkling in pasta/rice" into my meals, I have a hard time believing the 20-30 grams of carbs we get from those is that significant and replacing with fruit/veggies. At the moment i'm just doing it on a gram-by-gram basis (aiming for 150/day max), but i suppose it's important from the perspective of "rewiring" my genes to not need carbs?
    Having seen the cumulative damage that wheat has done to my father (alzheimer's) and the immediate improvement when we cut it out of his diet, I will never again find any temptation in wheat products. Giving up dairy has been disappointing, but even one small portion of clarified butter caused my disappearing acne to flare up. My point is that while those 20-30 grams of carbs from pasta/rice might have no observable effect, they may still be compromising your ability to absorb the nutrients from the rest of your food. You might like to think about cutting them out for a month and seeing how you feel.

It's not about the level of carbs so much, as that tends to be an individual thing, but where those carbs come from, I'd say, yes, can be significant.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12