Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight on more athletic lifts? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Losing weight on more athletic lifts?

Shop Now
    Since I've begun my Olympic lifting class I seem to have lost some weight. It doesn't feel like a huge amount of extra effort or anything. There are three of us in the class. We take turns, do a few reps with very light weight. We've been working up to the full movements and only today after 5 weeks did we do complete snatches and clean and jerks. Before that we'd just practice the bits and pieces. On off days I might throw in a few high pulls or overhead squats, but nothing too taxing because I don't want to overdo it.

My clothes are getting really loose. People have made comments. I think I look the same as always, but obviously I have lost some blubber if other people have said something (I don't actually weigh myself so I have no idea what the scale says.)

I was doing just the basic squats/press/bench/deadlift before and this is my first time doing things that require jumping. The only other thing that is different is I've been too lazy to sprint and I have not been eating much chocolate or drinking much wine, but I have had some and have been eating plenty of other sweet things like dates and cheese or vegan cheesecake. So I really think it's the athletic (for lack of a better word) lifting. Has this happened for anyone else?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

diene is offline Senior Member
    I wish! I haven't lost anything (weight or inches) since starting Crossfit, and we do plenty of Olympic lifting. (They are SO complicated!) But congrats on the fat loss!! In my experience, fat loss sometimes just happens without any reason that I can think of. I can really use one of those random losses right now - heh!

What is vegan cheesecake made of?

It's from Earth Cafe. You might be able to find the exact ingredients if you look it up. They're mostly made with coconut and cashews with a date and nut crust. There's usually agave for sweetener. It's so tasty I can hardly resist when I see it in the health food store. Even though it's hellishly expensive. About 400 calories a slice, too.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't doubt that increasing the intensity of your exercise and the volume of intense exercise can have a positive effect on your body composition. Time to go shopping.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's from Earth Cafe. You might be able to find the exact ingredients if you look it up. They're mostly made with coconut and cashews with a date and nut crust. There's usually agave for sweetener. It's so tasty I can hardly resist when I see it in the health food store. Even though it's hellishly expensive. About 400 calories a slice, too.
    Oh, you should not have told me that because I looked it up, and they look SOOOO good!!! https://earthcafetogo.com/onlinestor...=index&cPath=1
    Yum!

Coop12oz is offline Junior Member
    sbhikes: Haven't you been doing the oil thing for some time now? Do you not attribute that your fat loss?

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    sorry but would u clarify wat the oil thing is?

Quote Originally Posted by Coop12oz View Post
    sbhikes: Haven't you been doing the oil thing for some time now? Do you not attribute that your fat loss?
    No, I don't do that.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Likely a combination of factors.

Even with sub maximal loads, the force generated in the clean or the snatch can be close to the force generated in near maximal deadlifts.

Olympic lifters have been known to have better deadlifts than full on powerlifters.

I'd say you're body is responding to the intensity. There are many many signalling pathways that we don't know of in the human body. Olympic lifting requires more agility and coordination than slow powerlifts.

In short, you rock!

Thanks! That's probably what is happening. It doesn't feel like a huge effort, but I'm glad it does something. I only hope I can keep it up, at least the high pulls and overhead squats, after the class is over. I'd have to do the snatches and clean and jerks inside the squat rack if I wanted to keep doing them at my gym and I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast