Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex-vegan saying hello! page

amyeek is offline Member

Ex-vegan saying hello!

Hi gang. I’m a newbie, and I thought I would introduce myself. (I'm from England, FYI, for mentions of clothes sizes below).

I’ve a chequered past, diet wise. Vegetarian from 11, I was very ill as a child and a teen, not due to diet, but due to external factors like family, my home, etc.

At 18, I left for university, and sprang into health. Eczema disappeared, I felt more awake, it was wonderful.

At 20, I had a crisis of conscience, and became vegan. I dropped to a size six from a size ten at first, which was in part due to being vegan, in part due to working and finishing up my degree, and in part due to having two very thin friends I saw daily with food issues.

Then came three years of… not much. No boundless energy or clear skin or any of the claims touted by veganism. I mainly ate very healthily, but I had crept up to a size ten, and wasn’t comfortable. So I switched out to raw vegan for a few months. I went from a size ten to a small size eight. But I was tiiired. We went on holiday to California, and I lapsed into non-raw veganism, and bounced back up to a size ten.

Then my other half convinced me into eating goats’ milk and cheese. They were happy, and so was I, but ten pounds of weight gain later, pushing me to near a size twelve, I realised something had to change. I joined Slimming World. Boy was that a mistake. Processed food shoved down me at every turn helped me pile on another five pounds, and spots were everywhere. I was eating dairy and fish, but now I see it was absolutely the wrong dairy. Sugary low-cal yoghurts, processed cheese, encouraged to eat sugary mini chocolate bars, packets of low-cal crisps, jelly, squirty cream, they were making me bigger, sending my blood sugar running all over the place.

So now I am here. My other half is still doing Slimming World, but I’m putting my foot down and saying I’ll feed myself separately if that’s what it takes to kick this weight for good. I’ve started intermittent fasting (yes, like everyone else right now, I know!) and I’m trying to ensure my diet is primal. I’m now 145lbs, and a week ago I was 149. Yep, one week of eating IF and closer to primal has lost me four pounds. My goal is 130lbs, maybe a little less, but no more size six, no more size bloat, just something healthy and comfortable.

I’m eating eggs, dairy, fish, but no meat. Here’s hoping this time something sticks!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Hi amyeek

You can do quite well without meat, I think. If I could eat seafood and fish every single day I would be a happy girl. Sounds like you've tried it all diet-wise. I have no idea what Slimming World is but it sounds abysmal...that name! Welcome to primal - a healthy, healing way of eating which is so much more than a weight loss tool. Here's hoping it sticks this time.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Fish is meat. >:|
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

You know what she means. Beef, pork, etc.

amyeek is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Yes that's what I meant, sorry, rattled that off without thinking!

I have no issue with meat (of the non-aquatic variety!) eaters. My being vegetarian stems from a Buddhist upbringing (while in Catholic school!), and I just would not even know what to do with chicken, beef, etc now. It's something I'm mulling over - would I like the taste? the texture? etc.

Anyway, thanks all!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    No, I don't. Is it because a fish is a less adorable kind of animal?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

amyeek is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Nope, just transitioning - see above!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    yes

hi amy welcome and good luck on feeling better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome to the forums. Keep sticking to fish, eggs and dairy and incorporate some other healthy fats such as olive oil and coconut oil. Remember to eat your veggies too, being a ex-vegan that should be a breeze for you.

And on a final note, ditch the scale and go for how you feel. It is much, much healthier than to chase an arbitrary number on a small display that knows nothing about your body composition.

Good luck!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast