Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter?

Hybrid View

Peanut butter?

Hi. I've tried a few searches but I must not be entering the right key words. I'm trying to research peanut butter and what the problem with it is from a primal perspective. I'm a somewhat new primal eater but I do consume dairy. I've noticed a great change since cutting out grains, but I've kept Natural PB in my diet. It doesn't seem to bother me, I like it, and its an easy way to get fat and protein. I'm looking for reasons why PB should be avoided. Thank you.

Here is something that I read about it...

Peanuts Are Not Paleo | Paleo Plan

Note the mold counts (poison) are even higher in natural peanut butter

Lots of allergenic protein, fungal toxin, and omega-6 are the biggies I think.

Like all unrefined foods, if you're happy with how you look and feel then don't sweat it. If you aren't happy then peanuts are a likely candidate for what to minimize next.
    36//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

One of the highest sources of omega 6 unsaturated fat. And yea the mold thing is a bit unappealing.

try pure cashew butter as a healthy alternative. roasted pb and cb have some similarities in taste, but especially in texture.

I made a roasted pumpkinseed butter that tasted very much like peanut butter. Looked like woodchuck poop though.

For purists, it's not a nut, it's a legume and not allowed. For the health-conscious, the toxins and omega-6 counts are terrible. For those with a binge eating problem, it's a highly calorie dense food that's designed to be salty-sweet-fat and utterly easy to overeat and hard to stop.

Mark wrote about it.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    For purists, it's not a nut, it's a legume and not allowed. For the health-conscious, the toxins and omega-6 counts are terrible. For those with a binge eating problem, it's a highly calorie dense food that's designed to be salty-sweet-fat and utterly easy to overeat and hard to stop.

Mark wrote about it.

Is Peanut Butter Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Just thought about this...

Pretty sure he does recommend nuts like almonds. Most paleos/primals don't seem to have much reservation about them.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods – 180 Degree Health

Almonds have only a slightly lower amount of omega 6. Pecans and pistacho's have about the same. I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad. Or maybe we should start avoiding almonds and other high omega 6 nuts as well. Which pretty much rules out all nuts except for a few. But you never really hear anyone about that.

Quote Originally Posted by s0meguy View Post
    Just thought about this...

Pretty sure he does recommend nuts like almonds. Most paleos/primals don't seem to have much reservation about them.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods 180 Degree Health

Almonds have only a slightly lower amount of omega 6. Pecans and pistacho's have about the same. I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad. Or maybe we should start avoiding almonds and other high omega 6 nuts as well. Which pretty much rules out all nuts except for a few. But you never really hear anyone about that.
    Truth.

The mould thing sounds icky. But I love peanut butter. In fact, I'm adding some to my breakfast smoothie shortly.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.