Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter? page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Peanut butter tastes fantastic, but, yeah, it's not good for you. It's the only "nut" I can really tolerate

My 6 year old: "Can I try a bite of that?"
    Me: "sure."
    6 year old: "What is it?"
    Me: "Almond Butter and blueberries."
    6 year old: "Wow, well it tastes like candy to me!! There is no sugar added though, wow!"
    Me: "LOL" :-)

I guess when the kids are looking for a treat I can whip some of this stuff up! And I have to say, even though she said it tasted like candy, she only took about 3 bites and then happily went on her way - so not necessarily addictive. I felt the same. It tasted good, but I wouldn't eat it if I wasn't hungry.
    Have a hard time believing a 6 year old would say this or even care
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Z0oom is offline Member
    Yea, I had a primal slip a few months ago when some peanut butter appeared in our fridge. I managed to eat almost half the container with a boatload of raisins thinking it was fat, fruit, and natural. Too bad it was all 'mega 6ers.

It really brought back some nostalgic feelings I used to get when eating PB&J, tasted just like it too.

Then I realized I was using PB as a binge food because I had emotional triggers attached to the taste.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Peanut butter tastes fantastic, but, yeah, it's not good for you. It's the only "nut" I can really tolerate

Have a hard time believing a 6 year old would say this or even care
    Well, we JUST switched to primal eating, so I have been talking a lot about how we don't eat things with sugar added anymore.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Not that much of a fan, anyway.

IMHO dark chocolate trumps any nut (or legume, whatever); would rather melt it over bananas than eat an apple with a spoonful of nut butter or whatever.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    Well, we JUST switched to primal eating, so I have been talking a lot about how we don't eat things with sugar added anymore.
    That's not cool at all
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0meguy View Post
    Just thought about this...

Pretty sure he does recommend nuts like almonds. Most paleos/primals don't seem to have much reservation about them.

Omega 6 Content of Common Foods 180 Degree Health

Almonds have only a slightly lower amount of omega 6. Pecans and pistacho's have about the same. I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad. Or maybe we should start avoiding almonds and other high omega 6 nuts as well. Which pretty much rules out all nuts except for a few. But you never really hear anyone about that.
    Truth.

The mould thing sounds icky. But I love peanut butter. In fact, I'm adding some to my breakfast smoothie shortly.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0meguy View Post
    I wonder if peanut butter is unjustly villified, or it is just some kind of fad.
    Aside from people who are already allergic to it and have known it all along, a lot fewer people seem to react than to, say, wheat or dairy. And the ones who do react seem to have less severe reactions.

Techie is offline Member
    I only eat Brazil or Macadamia nuts once maybe in a month and I only buy 1/4 lb of them when I do.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I like peanut flavor, and I don't have any problem buying organic raw peanuts, sprouting them, boiling them, and eating them. The farmers' market I go to usually sells them, and if the peanuts don't look like they've been sitting around a long time, I'll buy some. Don't see the big problem here...it's a real food?

Cyborcat is online now Senior Member
    Honestly, not quite willing to ditch peanut butter, but I don't eat it daily, mainly on the weekends, and I substitute it for almond butter in a "bread" recipe that I have a few slices of throughout the week.

I would love to give almond butter a shot, but the only almond butter I can find locally has junk oils in it, and I figure natural peanut butter is the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by Cyborcat; 05-11-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast