Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full blood and hormone panel... some problems. Insights appreciated! page 2

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok, so as I'm reading that, you've had a lot of bad symptoms and these have abated somewhat, yes?
    Currently, very recent history, you are on a positive tangent, though energy levels are still crashing.
    Are the Crashes a cyclic effect, circadian maybe, it could be a result of hormones simply being out of synch, any anxiety at all?
    Is the Insomnia still a significant issue?
    There are two main drivers of hormonal circadian cycles, some hormones are reset by sleep/wake times and others by the light/dark cycle, we perform best when they are synchronised, i.e. wake with sunrise and wind down with sunset, shift workers have these phases out of synch and have worse health outcomes.
    Late night TV's, computers etc. can also be an issue, it's the blue/green light component starts sending our brain signals that it must be day time, and this disturbs the release of melatonin, evening lighting should be in amber tones, like Grok's fire.

Fasting Leptin should be available, it will likely be a pay for and you will probably have to research where it's done, I did a few online searches, located the hospital and test procedure, then went to path lab, they weren't sure, but did dig through the back of their manual and found it, then we went to the doctor, who also wasn't sure, whom we told it was available and just to write out the request, then there were a whole lot of hiccups sending the sample away to be tested, I think we were the first people to request it.

Good to hear the GIT is humming nicely, better than ever comment indicates there should be some more rewards coming your way from that improvement.

With the cycle history, that becomes anyones guess, the fact that it has been getting shorter since eating meat, may actually be more to do with your low carb start there, I'd expect now if you have turned a corner and starting to feel better, then it will stabilise, wouldn't be surprised if it stayed short for a while though while things get reset.
    Do your body temps align with your cycle, i.e rise on ovulation, then fall just before mensus?
    I've written before, my partners cycle started quite short in her treatment, then got longer, then she had some wobbles with a short, then a missed, then stability, then another wobble, but they did come up to normal length and have been rock solid for a few years now.

I do engage in a few AI discussion groups and the one important thing with people that are ill is to get stability, then start to tweak the process to get improvement, certain things like getting circadian rhythms right are "no brainers" they only show benefits, other things like suppliments can go either way, so see what ideas you get from here and elsewhere, then choose one and try it out, you'll know in a couple of weeks if it's a benefit or not, if not then stabilise again and try the next best, but if it is helping or not harming, then add the next thing. We took over 6 months to impliment my partners suppliment program progressively adding suppliments and protocols, she is into year 7 now, but well and truly on the mend, she did start from a pretty bad place though.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Yogabare - you've had lots of solid replies here. How long have you been primal? Would you say you've been aggressive in your adoption of it? Maybe even trending toward extremely low total daily caloric?

I accidentally did that about 6 months into Primal, largely because:
    -food was so satisfying now, I found I ate less
    -hit an extremely stressful period of a year, couple that w/ low volume eating and BAM, severely messed up hormones

You could easily be anemic w/ frequent periods. And I would also suggest simply taking a clove of garlic, mince it, let it sit for 10 mins and after a meal, take the minced garlic w/ a drink. Helped me w/ an infection and less or no burping. Even 1/2 a clove is beneficial if easier for you to stomach.

There are some great articles out there on the differences btw primal for women and men...it's pretty staggering.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for your input Marcadav! It's a relief to know that you've had similar numbers and felt rotten. Nice to know it's not "all in my head" So annoying that doctors don't take things seriously until you are actually "sick" (whatever numbers they use to define that).

Would you recommend taking something like thyroid armour or cytomel to get my numbers up?

I was anemic when I was vegetarian, so maybe my numbers reflect that. Or is could be because I'm menstruating so frequently...
    First, I would never recommend taking any thyroid meds without working with a doctor and getting an Rx. Second, while everyone seems to think Armour and/or Cytomel is the way to go, I believe the right type of thyroid hormone replacement is person specific.

Some people do very well on a T4 med (levothyroxine/Synthroid). Some do well on a T4/T3 combo med like Armour. Another group does well with a T4 +T3 med like Synthroid+Cytomel. Some do well on Cytomel alone. And some find they need to add a T4 med to Armour because the T4/T3 ratio too high as porcine thyroids make more T3 than human thyroids do.

Finding the right med and dose can be trial and error and take time. Given your numbers-- T3 higher in its range than T4--tells me you seem to have adequate conversion. Because of that I would not start with Cytomel only. I would, again, looking at your numbers, most likely start with a T4 med and see if symptoms abate and conversion continues to be adequate. Armour is another option I might try.

For what it's worth, I have never tried Armour. I started on Synthroid. Switched to Unithroid. Then learned about Cytomel. I then added that. I now take generic levothyroxine, by a specific manufacturer as it is actually Unithroid, in addition to Cytomel (not generic).

With or without treatment make sure you get adequate selenium (200mcg/day), iron, and vitamin D. Those things help thyroid function and/or T4 to T3 conversion.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I have absolutely nothing helpful or useful to say that hasn't already been said, but...

Some of you may remember me from such emotional threads as "My doctor is a moron", "Live fast diet young", and "Sugar - the forgotten panacea" (two of these thread titles might be made up).
    lulz. I lobe you

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thank all all for the new replies... I have an update which changes things quite a bit.

Went to see an endo / gyni today, and got a scan of my womb. Turns out that not only is my oestrogen high, my progesterone is very low. The scan of my womb revealed that, even though I am menstruating frequently, no ovulation is occurring. Which means no possibility of pregnancy.

However, this links perfectly with the low progesterone. Low progesterone can cause problems with ovulation. Meanwhile, excess estrogen can cause frequent periods.

Furthermore, imbalances of estrogen, progesterone, and cortisol are linked to low thyroid.

My thyroid is within the normal range (albeit low), but my progesterone numbers are out of whack, so we're thinking that the progesterone may be the faulty spoke in the wheel. I've been prescribed a three month course of progesterone tabs, and then we'll see after that if I'm ovulating again.

Being thorough, she retested my cortisol this avo, and tomorrow I'm doing another test for prolactin (with a two hour interval).

I have to say, this is a huge relief. This kind of makes sense. It's definitely worth going to see an endo. Screw regular docs: it all comes down to hormones.*

* And yes, I know how that sentence could be construed

Edit: Does anyone know what the causes of low progesterone / high oestrogen could be? Stress?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    YogaBare- I have been looking into info about high estrogen lately. I think I'm low progesterone and high estrogen. I haven't had a period in 2+ years and have other signs of high estrogen. I won't know for sure until I can get back to my naturopath. I also deal with hypothyroidism and take Naturethroid (it's like Armour).

I've been reading some of the Ray Peat stuff. He recommends a raw carrot salad 2x a day. It helps rid the body of excess estrogen, at least that's how I understand it. You can google it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks brooksam I'm very familiar with peat and I eat the carrot salad a lot! However, I've decided to give up using food as medicine. It hasn't helped me and its just made me increasingly obsessive and orthorexic. Sometimes it's time for meds.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks brooksam I'm very familiar with peat and I eat the carrot salad a lot! However, I've decided to give up using food as medicine. It hasn't helped me and its just made me increasingly obsessive and orthorexic. Sometimes it's time for meds.
    I agree! Food is a good start but sometimes we just need meds.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are getting some good care. I have Endometriosis & PCOS and have had hyperplasia. It seems to all stem from low progesterone. I wasn't ovulating. Went through years of infertility. Did Clomid and metformin and got pregnant, but between children is when I developed hyperplasia. Thankfully I went primal 3 years ago ( after having my kids) and I am slowly healing.

You've also received some great responses. I've read that low thyroid can produce high LDL from Chris Kresser. I highly recommend his website. He has a recent series on LDL particle number.

As for the hormones, it is so tricky. Your symptoms sound similar to mine. I'm so glad you are getting good care.
    I just read Dr Sara Gottfried's book and I thought it well done and comprehensive. I am focusing on my high cortisol right now because she says that's the Boss. I will be looking into progesterone when I can afford it. Right now I'm on hormonal birth control so that I only bleed every three months to control the pain of the endometriosis. My hope is that as my body heals I will be able to go off of it. I'm almost 38, by the way, so I know I'm headed for more hormonal changes in the near future.

I wish you the very best!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Smile

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I agree! Food is a good start but sometimes we just need meds.
    Be safe and only use drugs for recreational purposes....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast