Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get me off the nuts! page

My Stomach Eats Me is offline Junior Member

Get me off the nuts!

Since going primal/paleo, my cravings for nuts have increased. Whether they are raw/soaked, or nut butters, or now even coconut manna, I am eating far too many of them. My question is, is there a cause for this, and can anything replace them? I know they're good for you, so I don't want to stop eating them altogether, but I'm worried I'm starting to put on weight this way.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Stop buying so many nuts.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I assume you're snacking between meals on these? You could try increasing your meat/veg/eggs intake at meals and see if the urge to snack reduces. Otherwise find an alternative to snack on. I use coconut, almond butter and cold liver/belly pork/steak strips to snack on, but I track what I'm eating and the almond butter is no more than 5g at a time and savoured in very small nibbles.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Stop buying so many nuts.
    This. Unless you have an almond orchard or the like in the backyard, you're buying them and eating them. If I'm eating too much of something bad for me, I stop buying it. Take some responsibility for your own actions.

As far as I know, there's no major nutrient deficiency that would cause you to need nuts. It's just a craving. Stop it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ashleeweas is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem. It's difficult.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Damiana said it all. Don't buy them. That's what I do; if it's not in the house I can't eat it.

I have always been allergic to peanuts so when I found out the other day I could get almond butter instead of peanut butter (which I've never tasted!) I jumped for joy!

Now its like candy for me...HOLY MACKERAL! It is the best single piece of food ever to exist! But I try to limit myself haha, luckily I keep track of my calories and despite eating tons of it I exercise frequently and I often don't end up ever exceeding 1800 cals a day so I keep a good defecit (trying to loose fat) and I eat 40-50g carb so luckily this stuff doesn't do damage for me. I have to say because its so good, i now regard chocolate and cakes, brownies and cookies of which I used to love to have no value whatsoever compared to a serving of that almond butter.

jujeki is offline Member
    Many moons before being primal, I lost most of my nut cravings by accidentally creating a mild aversion to nuts. I bought a massive quantity of cashews, as if I hadn't eaten in a week and cashews were the only thing available, and ate more than I knew I could - stomach distended and generally unable to move without vomiting. After the two or three days of bloating, gas, and pain subsided, I never wanted to have more than half a handful of any nuts at a time. I did the same with almonds, but I generally avoid those because they are a pretty strong laxative for me.

mikegee2 is offline Member
    nuts are a part of every meal i eat, whether in salads, warmed up with spinach and eggs, etc. having them a part of my meal kept me from using them as a snack, and overeating
    mike

Heliotrope is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I cut back my nut consumption at least 90 percent after I read in Perfect Health Diet that omega-6s make you fat. Those simple words really got through to me. I've been reading (or trying to read) Ray Peat lately, and he is down on omega-6s big time. So that has only reinforced the message for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast